“A little rough around the edges, but you can't beat the price for the location!”
Review of The Wharf Inn

The Wharf Inn
Ranked #127 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is amazing for its location! Only a block from the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf, and a very short walk to Pier 39, Giradelli Square, the Cable Cars... and a 7-11 accross the street and a Safeway and Trader Joes a mere two blocks away.

The hotel is older, but everything was clean and in good working order. Our room served us well for the 3 night stay, and that is saying a lot as we had a full house! It was great to be able to walk to everything. We had free parking (which is VERY rare in this area for any hotel), and we literally didn't move the car until we checked out. The wifi worked great as well. There was not fridge, nor a coffee maker, but an $8 styrofoam cooler from the 7-11 with their ice machine kept our drinks cold, and they had coffee service in their office. The staff was friendly and accomodating.

The only downside was one of the nights the folks above us were making a terrible racket, with loud footsteps across the floor and what sounded like someone jumping off the beds! This was all between 10 and 11 at night! We finally called the office and they sent someone up... apparently the family was trying to "tire out" their kids, and they were literally jumping off the beds. Amazing how some people have NO CLUE as to what it takes to be considerate to others while in a hotel! Kudos to the staff for trying to stop them..., which they eventually did.

Otherwise, this place is great. You won't have all the bells and whistles, but if you want to save a ton of money and have amazing access to this part of San Fran (and easy access to other parts being near the Cable Car lines), this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Try for a top floor room so no one is above you. We had some very noisy people above us and we coul...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KailuaAl

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Location! Location! Location! This place is right smack dab at the edge of Fisherman's Wharf. The smell of Chowder & Sourdough bread can be had if you catch the wind just right. Well, and if you aren't overwhelmed by the smell of diesel from the multitude of tour buses that park right across the street ALL DAY. I want to love this place, I really do. The fact that they have re instituted the "Free Parking" lets you know that they know this is a very valuable commodity & you are willing to overlook a flaw here or there.

I called months in advance to book a room for my 18 year old daughter & I for her Spring Break. We wanted to spend some quality Mother Daughter time in the City & I was going to make sure we had the best time. Being able to park at the hotel and walk everywhere in Fisherman's Wharf is awesome. I asked when I made the reservation to note that we wanted a room with a balcony because I had one last time & it was great to go outside & watch the tourists & trolls go by. They said they couldn't guarantee it, but would make a note of it on my reservation. I also asked for early check in, but again, no guarantee.

I called the morning of the reservation just to confirm & ask again about early check in. "No!" she said "No early check in". "Oh..okay." I said, a little taken aback. Then she said "Maybe 2 o'clock". I thanked her & we headed up. Last time we stayed there, they let us park there while we waited for our room to be ready & we walked around, so I was totally okay with doing that. We got there at noon & parked. I went in to make sure it was okay to park there til the room was ready. She asked my nae & when I told her she said " I TOLD YOU 2 O'CLOCK!" I explained sheepishly that I just wanted to park there and walk around until the room was ready. I also asked if we were going to be able to have a room with a balcony. She said "No! No rooms with balconies left!" "Oh, okay, I said" Then she says "I will upgrade you to a Junior Suite" I was thrilled & felt proud of myself for biting my tongue when I wanted to snap back. She said to check back around 2. (the original plan) We left and went walking around & came back a little after 2. Still not ready. So she said she would call my cell when it was. So...we went out & got food. By 3 it was the regular check in time, but still no call. We took a chance and walked back to the hotel to find her nowhere in sight...lol The guy at the front desk was a delight!!! SO awesome. He set us up & gave us our keys to our JUNIOR SUITE!! We get to the room (#222) and the door was wide open. Housekeeping was still in there cleaning the bathroom. We waited politely while she finished up.

I was THRILLED to find that we had a private balcony and thought "WOW...this is going to be great!" My daughter & a friend of hers, that met us there so they could hang out for a little while, went shopping while I sat in the room to post pictures & chat with friends online. The free WiFi being another plus. HOWEVER...it took forever to load pages, it kept going down & I was so frustrated just trying to check emails that I give up. The bad WiFi became a HUGE issue when my daughter got back to the room to chill for the night....lol

Oh, and did I mention the neck pillows that were up against the pillows we were going to use??? O-M-G! They were disgusting! Both of them!!! I couldn't believe they included these with the clean bedding! SO gross!!! Otherwise, the beds were comfortable and there were lots of pillows which I love! The TV in the room with the beds was ancient & the reception was terrible. Fortunately, TV wasn't that important to us. There was a small flat screen TV in the "sitting" area.

When we came back to the room at night it was chilly so I turned on the heater. No matter what I did, it just blew cold air. I finally broke down & called the front desk. He said that some people are hot & some people are cold and they hdn't actually turned the heater on. It was a boiler & it hadn't been fired up. He asked "Did you want me to turn it on?" Ummm...well, yeah...I'm cold & I called you for heat...lol After about an hour, we had warm air. YAY! He mentioned that it sometimes goes off, so if it gets cold again, just call.

Around midnight there was a horrible commotion just outside our oom down at the street. I jumped out of bed to look out the window not bothering to slip on my slippers. As I stood at the window watching some twenty-somethings hot box an Escalade with the bass PUMPING as loud as possible, I suddenly realize that the carpet under my feet is soaking wet!! I didn't even want to think about why it was so wet. I just ran back to my bed.

The noise level is really loud, so bring ear plugs. The people upstairs were having a pacing party or something, but they finally stopped around 3am. Then at about 6:30, the delivery trucks & garbage trucks & buses start up. SO noisy!!!

All that being said, we still managed to have a great time & we did get free parking

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on Mason street are noisy, but lively. Safeway is right down Mason Street & a low...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RedwoodGirl
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great location
good parking
good price
rooms basic
everything in walking distance from the hotel had a good stay if i was being picky tea/coffee facilities in office terrible and few drunks hanging around the 7/11 across the road
would re book when going back to san fran

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank langersandmash33
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This Hotel is in a perfect location , near Pier 39 and many Restaurants. The staff is very helpfull. The room is clean and confortable. We had a little problem with the shower and the recepcionist of the front desk sent someone to solve the problem as quick as he could. The Hotel offer free parking and the price is great. The room don't have refrigerator,microwave and safe deposit box .

Room Tip: The Rooms with balcony, are little bit noisy,beacause they are in front of the street
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

great location and some of the check in staff were very helpful. if it wasn't for the last day where I think I had to deal with the manager of the hotel I would have given the inn four stars mid stay we decided to extend for one night, the night staff there were excellent and accommodated us with no issues. we had to change rooms because it was quite a busy motel. this is where the problem was. I accidentally left my jacket in the first room and when I asked if I could get the room checked it was a huuuuge! issue I was told no it was my fault for leaving it there. I asked politely if I could knock on the door of our old room to get my jacket or something as we were checking out and the lady was so rude and insulting. I also have three transactions on my credit card for different amounts from the wharf inn I have sent two emails and still haven't received a response, not happy and unfortunately I would not recommend the wharf inn to anyone.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pond007
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel was the perfect stop off on a long drive for me and my wife. The front desk was really welcoming and on arrival to my room I thought 'oh hell, this is a bit grim' but on closer inspection, it was clean, basic and just right for getting my head down before a long drive. It's not romantic or authentic, it's just basic motel style lodging by the wharf for a small price.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amaka1
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

What a great location & with free parking- the hotel was clean & staff friendly. Put only concern with this hotel was the noise from the room above us, the hotel is old and insulation is almost non existent. After a sleepless first night we asked to move to the floor above- the staff were helpful & moved us within the next 2 hours. If you book this hotel make sure you are on the 3rd floor (there is only the penthouse above you then). Goud prove for the area & proximity to The Wharf -public transport & cable cars was great.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple