“Petrified and sleepless!”
Review of Civic Center Inn

Civic Center Inn
Ranked #217 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I booked this motel for four nights as part of a roadtrip with friends. San Francisco seemed more expensive than other places we had stayed so when we found this room for $418 for four nights it seemed like a bargain. Wrong!!

We parked up and started to get our stuff out the car, whilst being watched by two men smoking marajwana outof there room. We checked in with a reasonably helpful womam at the desk. As we walked to our room we were met with a stench or urine and weed.

The room its self was grim! Stained bedding and towels, graffiti on the headboards and the shower didn't look like it had been washed yet this year. We could hear sirens every few minutes and people shouting up and down the corridors.

On the way back from a food run we saw rats by our room.

It was sleepless night listening to the ramblings of the group of homeless men outside our room, the drug deals and the man wih his prostitute in the next room (the walls are very thin... very)!

We woke up to a hysterical woman shouting 'gt away from my property, get away from my car, I'm calling the cops'.
We got out of there early next morning, and were lucky to get a refund for the 3 nights we were cancelling. The womam on the desk then was very rude and unwilling.

we went and checked in to the holiday inn fisherman's warf for $700, worth every penny!

We felt genuinely afraid and vulnerable.

reading other reviews now it sounds like we were lucky that our experience was only as bad as it was.

I cannot express enough - DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Eitak86

Reviewed 3 January 2014

rooms should be in slums, not in san fran. nothing worked in any of the rooms. when in lobby everyone who checked in had a complaint. excessive noise
and undesirable staying there. the roomes had no place to hang your clothes and the towels like dish towels

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank M C
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Ok so we road tripped from Las Vegas to LA then finally to San Francisco and didn't book our hotel prior to the road trip. BIG MISTAKE.

We stopped off at a service station to connect to the WIFI and book a last minute hotel on the internet. We stumbled across the Civic Center Inn and saw (or rather thought) that the location wasn't too bad and the price was within our budget (around $55-60 per night)

When we arrived at the hotel around 8pm there was NO parking spaces available. We parked on the road. When going in to the hotel 'lobby' an old Chinese man greeted us and let us in, he was polite. The shabby looking young foreign guy behind the desk was of no help. He had holes in his jumper and a bad attitude.

We rented a car to drive to San Fran and when we asked if the car would be safe the answer we got back we dreaded. We were so tired that we went to sleep trying not to touch the musky sheets and woke up to find the car intact. Surprisingly. We checked in on a Saturday, a night for gangs to hang about hotel car parks and stair cases making you feel scared and uncomfortable. The noise outside from the gang members was extremely loud and didn't stop until gone 2am. The shower was dirty so I'm glad we only stayed two nights, I couldn't wait to check out.

If you go to San Francisco, do yourself a favour and have the best time that you possibly can and book a hotel down by the bay. The prices are not too expensive and trust me, you will have a better sleep in a better environment and you won't be afraid to get a shower!!!

Save yourself disappointment and book elsewhere.

Room Tip: No rooms are good enough.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mocha_upo88
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have to be brutally honest about our stay and that was that it was terrible. Without reviewing the area which can not be helped although there was a homeless person camped below our room window which was not comforting.
The check in was slow and the lady didn't even look at me when checking us in which I thought was rude. Wifi was only available in the lobby and there was often nowhere to sit due to the volume of people trying to access the only wifi spot.
The room itself was very basic. We had two rooms booked where the one room had a television which only had one channel on it and the second room didn't even have television. The one room was also very noisy being at the end of the block.
We checked out as soon as we could and checked into a friendlier, safer and nicer hotel for almost the same rate.
I also had tried to contact the hotel previous to our stay by email and phone...the emails kept getting delayed and eventually didn't go through and also the telephone had a very high pitched squeal where I could hardly hear the person on the other end. Subsequently my booking amendment discussed on the phone was not relayed and when I did check in the amendment hadn't been made!! A pointless phone call. I was calling to cancel a night but in the end I cancelled them all and checked in elsewhere after staying only 7 hours.
I was too scared to sleep. There was prostitutes using the rooms. I saw one when I checked in and the same one when we finally checked out. I didn't sleep in the bed, I slept fully clothed on top of the blanket.
I can't give enough bad reviews of this place. Worse place I've ever been to and stayed in. Thankfully it was only for 7 hours before we could get out of there and feel safer walking the streets to find another hotel.

I hope this has been useful in deterring people from staying there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Unfriendly staff. Wifi and cable tv didn't work in the room, which reeked from clorin (could not be healty to sleep in!). Room was run down in general. No coffee machine or breakfast included. Limited parking. Very dodgy neighbourhood with a lot of homeless people and weirdos! Only plus was that access to public transportation was good, and union square was in walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends