“Wonderful place--would stay again for sure”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #68 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“Wonderful place--would stay again for sure”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked this hotel using miles and was a little nervous but as soon as we walked in the door I felt at home. The staff was friendly and very helpful with all the questions we had. Everybody made an effort to speak to you personally and great you each time they saw you. The hotel was clean and offered many ways to be social (wine and cheese, ice cream social, etc...). The location was perfect...right across from the Chinatown gate and close to public transportation. Just a short walk to great breakfast joints as well. The room we had was very small but clean and an effort was made to put all that would be needed in it. The beds were very comfortable as well. It was a wonderful stay and our whole family commented that they wanted to go back.

1 Thank MiamiLuvtotravel
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Dear MiamiLuvtotravel ~

Thank you for the awesome review. I am happy to hear that you and your family had such a great time in our beautiful city. Miami an't too bad either!

Till next time,
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband and I were traveling to San Francisco and decided to Priceline a hotel room and we ended up with Hotel Triton. After reading the mixed reviews online I wasn't sure what to think but we typically aren't very picky so I was excited about our trip. Upon arrival they were very rude to us and told us that because we booked through Priceline instead of through them that they couldn't do a whole lot for us. Aparantly they have small rooms described on their website as "perfect for the solo traveler" that have a small full bed. I had signed up for Kimpton's rewards program to get free WIFI and I asked if we could at least get upgraded to a king room because I was a memeber and they wanted to charge me $15 more per day....there was no way my husband and I would sleep comfortably together on a full bed. After 10 minutes of arguing and getting lectured about Priceline, they finally conceeded and gave us the upgrade for free. Call me crazy but if you were going to do that why not just do it in the first place and make everyone happier....this review would have been glowing but instead they made their first impression on us a very negative one. Other than that, the stay was nice. Clean room, the front desk people were mostly friendly after that. Only thing I would suggest is to bring ear plugs if you want to sleep in because the hotel is in a great location but because of that there is a ton of street noise. Happy Travels!

Dear beachloverandfoodie ~

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with our friends on TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience when you arrived. As you can see by previous postings ~ this type of service is not the way we treat our guests. I would truly appreciate it if you could reach out to me directly so I may try to make up for this shortcoming. We do not want this to be your first or last impression of our hotel.
I will wait to hear back from you and hopefully see you back with us soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Parking does not come cheap in S.F. Most 4 and 5 star hotels charge $50+ for valet parking with in and out privilege per day. Hotel Triton charges $38.00. My niece and nephew thought the place was pretty cool with its 80's look. It is steps away from the Chinatown gateway. My cousin who is a Starbucks afficionado was ecstatic upon seeing a Starbucks shop across from the hotel. Union Square shopping is a couple of blocks from the area, same with the Powell cable car. There was complimentary bottle of water, juice and muffin/croissant each morning, coffee and tea service was available in the lobby in the morning and wine/sangria was also served in the lobby at 6pm. Galen, Valerie and Eric at the counter were very helpful with check-in, checkout process. Can't remember all the names but all the staff from the cleaning lady, valet, etc were friendly and helpful. We transferred to Embarcadero Hyatt on the 3rd night, although rooms were bigger and views were nicer, we missed Hotel Triton and its many amenities. No complimentary anything here, parking was $50+ and we self-parked for $38 with no in/out privilege. The area was not as lively at night, faucet fixtures were tight, bathroom light did not work - although to Hyatt's credit, maintenance immediately came and fixed the problem. We all agreed that Hotel Triton would be the place to stay on our next sojourn to San Francisco - really excellent value.

Dear annabelle2904 ~

What a great review! Thank you so much for all of your kind words. As a Kimpton InTouch member it is so important for us to know that our most loyal guests enjoy their experience to the fullest. It sounds like that's exactly what happened! See you at Wine Hour next time!

Sydney Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2011

This hotel is a great place to stay. Although our room was small it was serviceable and well furnished. Great flat screen tv and a nice bathroom. The air-con kept it lovely and toasty too. The bed was comfy and there was no irritating outside noises. It is walking distance to many San Francisco attractions and the Happy Hour every day on the foyer is an added bonus. I am a Kimpton member (it is free to join online) so I had free internet wifi while I was there.

Room Tip: The higher the better!!
1 Thank annabelle2904
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Great hotel. The staff were great with our young children (3 & 5) - leaving gifts every now and again. They gave a away free ice cream to the kids. Also complimentary wine to guests every evening. Room was very clean but it was small (the only negative really). Location is great...right outside the entrance to China town and a block away from Union Square and all the big label stores (inc. Macys).

If we're ever in San Fran again we'll definitely stay there again.

Triton415, Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 5 June 2011
Dear hixy10 ~

Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear that everyone had a great time especially during the Ice Cream Social we hosted during your stay with us. All is right with the world when ice cream is involved? We hope you will come back and stay with us again real soon.

san jose
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Since we booked on Priceline, we were not expecting much. Boy were we wrong in this case! My husband brought me to the City for the weekend to see Hugh Jackman (surprise!!) for Mother's Day. Our stay at the Triton made our trip even more special. The first room we received had a very small bed, which would not do, as we are both nearly 6' tall. My husband called the front desk and was instantly given a room with a King bed. The room was awesome, with a great view. We loved sitting in the big chairs near the window to people watch, and the staff was awesome. We travel to SF quite a bit because our daughter is in college there, and we will visit this hotel again and again, with or without Priceline.

Room Tip: Ask for a King bed room, they are bigger.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 5 June 2011
Dear luckytravels66 ~

Thanks for the awesome review! How great with Huge Jackman ~ I hope you had a blast. The next time you are headed to the city don't forget to check out our website for first for special deals or packages. We would love to become your home away from home when you come to visit your daughter.

If there is anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Till next time,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Ivestayed in 4 other San Fran hotels and this was the one i loved most.Stayed for four nights -contacted them before a long international flight- they were able to get me a room early- fantastic reception staff very friendly hotel in great location - the great rate i got from expedia also helped. Comfy quiet room very funky decore -although my friends complained they had a lot of street noise. Breakfast next door at the cafe was nice, irish pub around the corner was great but very busy - will definatly stay here again

Room Tip: something quiet
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Dear krazykev ~

Thanks for the great review ~ it sounds like you had a blast. As you mentioned our location can't be beat for all things San Francisco! I hope you won't stay gone for too long and come back to stay with us real soon.