“it is all about service”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #67 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 June 2011

It was the first time we stay in this hotel. At first, we were excited about the hotel because there were good reviews. We checked in with the front desk, and she told us we were getting 2 worst rooms in the hotel. She spoke with an attitude and said it's because we booked through priceline and how much we paid for the room. We had requested 2 rooms to be on the same floor previously on the phone and they said they would do their best. However, She assigned our rooms on 2 different floors , one on top of the other because they were the worst room on each floor. Once we walked into both room and realized both were very small and dark about 10'x10' bed room with a full size bed in the corner right against 2 walls. We had 3 adults and 2 small kids in this trip. In the room even 1 adult and 1 kid can barely fit on the bed. My mother-in law is 75 year old, and she could barely move around the room. I asked to up grade to a king size bed room, but they could only switch us on the next day. The hotel was old and need major up grade. The conventional AC was also old and very loud. On the other hand,the staffs were friendly, except the lady who served us when we checked in. The best of the hotel was the location. It was one block away from the China Town entrance and close by many hot spots. We are not picky with any hotel because we are normally out visiting most of time . We think We will come back again because most of the people were friendly and helpful. one thing we will suggest to the hotel is to increase their price on priceline. Also, If you accept the price, you should receive your guest the same way no matter how much they pay for the room or you don't take them. We paid $100 per room per night for 2 rooms and 2 nights.

Room Tip: there are noise from the street and the AC
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Dear travler180 ~

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am so sorry to hear about the poor service you received when you arrived to the hotel. As you mentioned we have a great staff here and when I read your comments I was very surprised and disappointed. We appreciate your business anyway you decide to bring it to us. That is something that my entire team will be reminded of for sure. I would hate it if this is your one and only experience with our hotel. I hope that you will find it in your heart to give us another chance so that I can make it up to you. Please reach out to me directly and I will ensure you have the hotel experience that you have always deserved.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Until then,

antonio.flores@hoteltrilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed 20 June 2011

What a pleasure to stay somewhere different than one of the ever increasing number of stereo-typical hotels. The foyer is such fun, the staff are helpful and inviting, the rooms are attractive and the pillows are fabulous. For a city like San Francisco, which we loved, the price is also very reasonable. Look forward to a return sometime. Thanks to everyone at the Triton

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Dear dndeurotraveller ~

Thank you so much for the great review. We feel the same way for all of our guests ~ VIVE LA DIFFERENCE!

Come back and see us soon.

Take care,
antoino.flores@hoteltriton.com

Reviewed 14 June 2011

We spent two nights at the Triton. No noise problems, clean and well-run. Located in a pretty street close to the China Town gate, we could walk to most places (we don't mind a climb) we visited, from Quoit Tower to Union Square shopping, SF MOMA, cable car stops, North Beach for dinner, and Grace Cathedral. Hotel was small and we had a double-double for three adults (we're a couple with a college age child). One complaint was how strong the room smelled, of some unpleasant cleaning products. Maybe this was due to the Triton being a "pet friendly" hotel. Nice staff, free wine on arrival, and the helpful and informative front desk were all big pluses. Loved the cafe next door, good for breakfast or a quick drink. Our main complaint was that the room was extremely tight, not enough space for suitcases, small in-room sink squeezed in by the door, tiny bathroom with barely enough wiggle room to shut the door behind you before sitting on the toilet. Maybe we had an unusually small room - might be worth a call to the hotel esp if you're a party of three. But even with just two of us, it would have been a tight fit.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Dear cyntia ~
Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and friendly staff. The rooms are "cozy" but we think it adds to the charm of the building which was erected back in 1913. The next time you are in the city let us know ~ our Executive & Celebrity suites are a must see.
Hopefully we will see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Loved it. The hotel has a great location near Union Square and on the border of China Town. The wacky design inside won't be to everyones taste - but I liked it, and certainly provides a talking point with the lobby staff. The reception staff were chatty and helpful, and the concierge were keen to help us find our way around.
The room was quite small but very well appointed - the animal printed bath robes were what sold the hotel to me! Just a touch different from the very usual and very boring white fluffy robes. Free tea and coffee in the lobby, wine in the evening, occasional tarot readings, and green apples every day!
I would definitely go back - it has everything I needed and at a very reasonable price too!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Birdyseyeview
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

Dear Birdyseyeview ~

It sounds like you had a great time! I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our FUNKY vibe that we are so proud of here at the Triton. Our rooms are "cozy" but we like to think that it just brings our guests closer together.
Don't be gone for too long ~ we hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked this hotel using miles and was a little nervous but as soon as we walked in the door I felt at home. The staff was friendly and very helpful with all the questions we had. Everybody made an effort to speak to you personally and great you each time they saw you. The hotel was clean and offered many ways to be social (wine and cheese, ice cream social, etc...). The location was perfect...right across from the Chinatown gate and close to public transportation. Just a short walk to great breakfast joints as well. The room we had was very small but clean and an effort was made to put all that would be needed in it. The beds were very comfortable as well. It was a wonderful stay and our whole family commented that they wanted to go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MiamiLuvtotravel

Dear MiamiLuvtotravel ~

Thank you for the awesome review. I am happy to hear that you and your family had such a great time in our beautiful city. Miami an't too bad either!

Till next time,

Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband and I were traveling to San Francisco and decided to Priceline a hotel room and we ended up with Hotel Triton. After reading the mixed reviews online I wasn't sure what to think but we typically aren't very picky so I was excited about our trip. Upon arrival they were very rude to us and told us that because we booked through Priceline instead of through them that they couldn't do a whole lot for us. Aparantly they have small rooms described on their website as "perfect for the solo traveler" that have a small full bed. I had signed up for Kimpton's rewards program to get free WIFI and I asked if we could at least get upgraded to a king room because I was a memeber and they wanted to charge me $15 more per day....there was no way my husband and I would sleep comfortably together on a full bed. After 10 minutes of arguing and getting lectured about Priceline, they finally conceeded and gave us the upgrade for free. Call me crazy but if you were going to do that why not just do it in the first place and make everyone happier....this review would have been glowing but instead they made their first impression on us a very negative one. Other than that, the stay was nice. Clean room, the front desk people were mostly friendly after that. Only thing I would suggest is to bring ear plugs if you want to sleep in because the hotel is in a great location but because of that there is a ton of street noise. Happy Travels!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear beachloverandfoodie ~

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with our friends on TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience when you arrived. As you can see by previous postings ~ this type of service is not the way we treat our guests. I would truly appreciate it if you could reach out to me directly so I may try to make up for this shortcoming. We do not want this to be your first or last impression of our hotel.
I will wait to hear back from you and hopefully see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Parking does not come cheap in S.F. Most 4 and 5 star hotels charge $50+ for valet parking with in and out privilege per day. Hotel Triton charges $38.00. My niece and nephew thought the place was pretty cool with its 80's look. It is steps away from the Chinatown gateway. My cousin who is a Starbucks afficionado was ecstatic upon seeing a Starbucks shop across from the hotel. Union Square shopping is a couple of blocks from the area, same with the Powell cable car. There was complimentary bottle of water, juice and muffin/croissant each morning, coffee and tea service was available in the lobby in the morning and wine/sangria was also served in the lobby at 6pm. Galen, Valerie and Eric at the counter were very helpful with check-in, checkout process. Can't remember all the names but all the staff from the cleaning lady, valet, etc were friendly and helpful. We transferred to Embarcadero Hyatt on the 3rd night, although rooms were bigger and views were nicer, we missed Hotel Triton and its many amenities. No complimentary anything here, parking was $50+ and we self-parked for $38 with no in/out privilege. The area was not as lively at night, faucet fixtures were tight, bathroom light did not work - although to Hyatt's credit, maintenance immediately came and fixed the problem. We all agreed that Hotel Triton would be the place to stay on our next sojourn to San Francisco - really excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear annabelle2904 ~

What a great review! Thank you so much for all of your kind words. As a Kimpton InTouch member it is so important for us to know that our most loyal guests enjoy their experience to the fullest. It sounds like that's exactly what happened! See you at Wine Hour next time!