“Funky and fun”

GreenLeadersBronze level
sarasota, florida
“Funky and fun”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed in the Jerry Garcia suite for two nights. We are in our 50s, and used to be Dead fans; my husband played in a band that played all Dead stuff when we were young, so this was kind of cool for us. The staff was very pelasant, always around, and helpful. The room was a large hotel room, by normal standards. The decor was Garcia-ish, with fabrics like his ties, and his paintings all over the walls. One wall bore his original signature, with a photo of him sitting in the room above it. There was a large couch, but no "cocktail" table, or end table. The TV swiveled to face either the couch or the bed. The bed was comfortable. There was a small desk and chair as well, and a countertop with coffeemaker and mugs. The shower was kind of sprinkly--showers are so important, and so overlooked--I couldn't wait to shower at home after our stay, with a good strong spray. As a member of JDV (you shoudl join!), we got free internet. We did pay for parking.
We often stay in chains. Maybe I should say used to stay in chains. Of course, we traveled without kids this time, and I think chains can be good when you need connecting rooms. This was a funky cool hotel, and we liked it very much. It wasn't cheap to stay in the suite, and I don't htink I would like a room that is 110 sq ft, but we really liked our stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear lemstar ~

Thanks for the awesome review and for becoming members of our loyalty program Kimpton InTouch ~ it's the best way to get all of those free goodies that everyone loves. The Jerry Garcia suite is one of my personal favorites. Although I didn't grow up in the 60's I am sure I would have been a Dead Head with the rest of them!
We hope to see you back soon.

Till then,
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Much like all other reviews, I cannot speak highly enough of the staff; they were extremely friendly and helpful! .
The lobby and public areas are fantastically decorated.
Our room, it was pretty compact, but very well laid out, it had everything we needed and was very cute the pop culture theme was quite refreshing,
Happy hour with FREE wine tasting, What more could you want,
Great Location Check
Funky Decor Check
Clean Check
Helpful and freindly Staff Check
They are even pet friendly
only down side was the internet was $6.95 for 15mins
oh well nothing can be perfect
I would recommend to others for short stays to the city

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Dear Robandwilson ~

WoW ~ thanks for the awesome review. I couldn’t have said it better myself. We love to celebrate all things pop culture and try to do this in every part of the hotel. From our great staff to those funky guests room unlike anything else in San Francisco. Although our public computer use is not complimentary we do have complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel.
Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you back soon.

Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Triton on a business trip to San Francisco and while it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, I could see some people enjoying it. The rooms are decorated with various unusual accoutrement and are definitely not your standard Marriott or Hilton abodes.

The hotel is located in the heart of the high end shopping of Union Square and is on the doorstep to San Francisco's Chinatown. There are numerous public transportation options nearby to help you get around town, so there is no reason to not take in all the city has to offer.

My wife is extremely allergic to citrus and unfortunately the hotel cleans its rooms with a citrus based cleaner. The folks at the Triton were completely accommodating when they learned of her allergies and moved us straightaway to a new room that was not cleaned with the same cleaning product.

The hotel has coffee in the lobby each morning and hosts a free wine hour in the evenings which seemed to be quite popular. There are also numerous restaurants nearby if you're looking for lunch or dinner. Overall, the hotel is in a good location and was just a little too funky for our tastes. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but it was different and might not be everyone's first choice.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HappyTraveler465
Dear HappyTraveler465 ~

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. You are completely right ~ we are not your typical hotel for sure. That is way was love it so much. The funky vibe, cool lobby music and energy of the Triton is like no other. We hope the next time you are in San Francisco you will think of us and come back to visit real soon.

Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Maybe this was cutting edge in 1991 when it opened, but it's tired and dowdy now. Small rooms, not even an extra chair. The first room they put me in opened onto an air shaft. When I requested an outside room, they said it'd be $25 a night more. It was a slightly nicer room, still small.

On the plus side, the location is great if you want to be near Chinatown, the Financial District and the galleries & shopping in and around Union Square. The people who run the place are generally very nice and helpful (although they didn't make the wake-up call I requested!). The wine hour in the evening is nice, but not unusual; a lot of hotels do that.

Unless you get a really good deal, there are better options in San Francisco.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Dear mikaln ~

I am sorry to hear that you didn't have the experience you had hoped for. You are right ~ our rooms are "cozy" but we like to think that it only adds to the charm of this early 19 century building. I am also happy to tell you that we are going to be doing some remodeling soon so please don't forget about us if your plans ever bring you back. In fact I hope that you will reach out to me personally so you can experience the hotel once the remodel is complete.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

antonio.flores@hoteltrilton.com
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I have stayed in Kimptons before and when I come to SF i usually stay at the Palomar. As this was Pride weekend and I figured it would be pretty hectic on Market St, I went with the Triton instead. It's a great location right by the gate to Chinatown and an easy walk to the BART. I was given a king room and yes it was small but nice and even on the second floor the noise wasn't bad at all. I stayed two nights and during the first I could swear something was in bed with me. And sure enough in the morning there were bites. But as I'd been out at Fisherman's Wharf the previous evening I thought maybe it was mosquitoes. Last night however, I wasnt feeling well so I was in bed by 8. And within a couple of hours, I had loads of bites on my arms and legs and even my face. I went to reception and asked to move and as soon as I showed them the bites, they not only moved me, but moved me to a king suite. Great, if I wasn't now paranoid about bed bugs! I know SF is known for having a bed bug problem but I was really disappointed that even the Triton had them. That the receptionist didn't seemed shock at all is also really disappointing. In the morning when I checked out, a different receptionist commented on how few people tell them when they see bed bugs. Sorry, but that's not really much of an excuse for having them and not keeping your rooms clean! I will be contacting Kimpton as I think they need to totally fumigate not only that room but probably the whole hotel! Oh and maybe train the staff to not dismiss your bites as mosquito bites - that didn't sit well with me. So overall, a great location and fair service but until they fix the cleanliness problems I won't be staying there again or any other Kimpton. Shame really.

• Stayed June 2011
9 Thank Clyststmary
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Dear Clyststmary ~

I was so disappointed to read your review and hear about your experience during your stay with us. I do want to assure you that once you spoke with my Front Desk staff they immediately placed that room out of service. We then hired a licensed pest control company to come and inspect the room as well as neighboring rooms and they all tested negative for bed bugs or any other infestations.

This gave me some relief to know that nothing you encountered came from the hotel. Although we cannot change the events that happened ~ I am hopeful that we4 can regain your confidence in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if your travels ever bring you back to San Francisco. We would love an opportunity to make this up to you.

New Zealand
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Three of us stayed at Hotel Triton on a 2 day stop over in San Francisco. Much like all other reviews, I cannot speak highly enough of the staff; they were extremely friendly and helpful! We arrived mid-morning and it was no problem to check in early (at no extra charge). The lobby and public areas are fantastically decorated. We were a little bit disappointed with our room, it was pretty compact, in fact the bathroom was so small, the sink was outside! I think had I was probably comparing our room to those that are featured on the website; this was somewhat more 'standard'. Overall though, we had everything we needed and the location of the hotel was great and I would recommend to others for short stays to the city.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NZJodi77
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Dear NZJodi77 ~

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that you enjoy your stay with us. We guest rooms do vary but I think the best comparison would be to a more European boutique style. They are very eclectic and unique which is something that we love the most about our little corner of San Francisco. We hope you were able to enjoy the "pop culture" vibe we have tried to create and come back and see us someday.

Until then,
Ventura, California
Reviewed 21 June 2011

It was the first time we stay in this hotel. At first, we were excited about the hotel because there were good reviews. We checked in with the front desk, and she told us we were getting 2 worst rooms in the hotel. She spoke with an attitude and said it's because we booked through priceline and how much we paid for the room. We had requested 2 rooms to be on the same floor previously on the phone and they said they would do their best. However, She assigned our rooms on 2 different floors , one on top of the other because they were the worst room on each floor. Once we walked into both room and realized both were very small and dark about 10'x10' bed room with a full size bed in the corner right against 2 walls. We had 3 adults and 2 small kids in this trip. In the room even 1 adult and 1 kid can barely fit on the bed. My mother-in law is 75 year old, and she could barely move around the room. I asked to up grade to a king size bed room, but they could only switch us on the next day. The hotel was old and need major up grade. The conventional AC was also old and very loud. On the other hand,the staffs were friendly, except the lady who served us when we checked in. The best of the hotel was the location. It was one block away from the China Town entrance and close by many hot spots. We are not picky with any hotel because we are normally out visiting most of time . We think We will come back again because most of the people were friendly and helpful. one thing we will suggest to the hotel is to increase their price on priceline. Also, If you accept the price, you should receive your guest the same way no matter how much they pay for the room or you don't take them. We paid $100 per room per night for 2 rooms and 2 nights.

Room Tip: there are noise from the street and the AC