“Quirky Kimpton”

Hotel Triton
Ranked #67 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I like the Kimpton hotels, in general - a great mix of value and personality. The Triton is directly across from Chinatown's Dragon Gate and is a nice base in the lowlands of the financial district. We had a corner room on an upper floor. It was clean, nicely decorated, with a smallish bathroom. There is a nice wine bar next door and breakfast can be had at the cafe on the corner. I enjoyed free wifi with their Kimpton loyalty program. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jdub89
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Dear jdub89 ~

Thanks for the great review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are totally right ~ our location can't be beat. Right outside our doors is Chinatown ~ Union Square is a block away. Cafe de la Presse on the corner has the most delicious breakfast ~ you should defiantly try it the next time you're in the city.
Till then we hope to see you back real soon.

antonio.flores@hotetriton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Located right at the entry to China town and within walking distance of shopping, Ferry bldg (Farmer's market is located there and is not to be missed-also a great Vietnamese restaurant called Slanted Door), great restaurants---try the many restaurants on Beldin Lane with outdoor dining.....no car needed...Love this small hotel with a evening wine hour, morning coffee, and comfortable beds. The decor is trendy, staff is welcoming and atmosphere is friendly. Local papers and NY Times in lobby each morning. It is my favorite hotel in SF.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishgirl077

Dear irishgirl077 ~

You're HIRED! Thanks for writing such an awesome review of your experience with us. We are not your typical hotel by any means and we love it when our guests enjoy it as much as you have. Come back soon!

antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed here during a brief vacation to the West Coast and we really did enjoy the experience. This hotel is located on Bush & Grant, right next to the entrance to Chinatown. It's also near the fancy shopping district, so if you're visiting San Fran to shop for high-end fashion and merchandise, you're in the right spot. Overall it's a good location but also very busy when traveling by car or shuttle. I'd recommend taking the BART from the airport if you have a choice. Also, you're going to pay for that location - it's fairly expensive. Rooms are small, but they have everything you need. Also close to trolley lines and buses, so public transport to Pier 39, ATT Park, and other sites is easy. The concierge service was great, and they also offer a free internet service in the lobby to print your boarding passes for flights which was a nice touch. After surveying the neighborhood on foot I'd have probably stayed somewhere else and saved a few bucks, but if you're just in town for a night or two it just might be worth it to book your stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The Triton was booked by our travel department, but is was a far cry from the usual brand name monotony. First, the decor is almost psychedelic - especially the lobby. The rooms are small, but nicely decorated with interesting art. The mini-bar is well-stocked, and a Kimpton membership provides some free access. Free wine at 5 starts the evening off well.
The staff is truly friendly and helpful. From suggesting a late-night bite to sourcing some foam core, they had the answers.
I recommend this hotel for the price, and for the pleasure of thoughtful differentness.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LoveToTravelBoston
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Dear lesver28 ~

Thanks for the awesome review. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your San Francisco adventure while staying with us. We hope to you see you back real soon!

antonio.flores@hoteltrilton.com

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Definitely one of the best hotels I ever stayed in. Really friendly staff that pays attention to your every need (they even gave us a free bottle of wine & upgraded our room for our birthdays). All in all, it was definitely the icing on the cake for a memorable stay in San Francisco.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank vpope
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We appreciated a lot the location of the hotel, at the gate of china town in SF and close to the main areas of interest ; close to union square, 15 mn walking from the piers, close to stores for shopping, 10 mn walking from rental cars. A good french restaurant is just near the hotel on the same side. All the area is safe to walk with the family.
The services were good and the welcome warm. The hotel is decorated in a nice and original way. No breakfast but there is a starbuck just on the other side of the street.
Just one thing : the room is not very large for a family (we were three).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lesver28
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I'm giving this hotel an average rate because:
- it is in a good location (you can walk to Union Square and the Chinese quarter), there are many nice restaurants nearby (one of them is the French one just beside)
- I loved the hall, it is modern but at the same time has a quicky feeling that is just cool, not too much. You can grab some apples and often there is a woman reading cards... as I said it's quicky enough but in a good way.
- The rooms are modern, I loved that I could plug in mu ipod/iphone and listen to my music, however, the rooms are sooo tiny.... I know it is in line with the stardands of the city but it's a bit exagerate! (I've been to other hotels in SF and had much bigger rooms).
- it's quite pricey for what it offers, I mean, nothing is included and rooms are claustrophobic.
-Last day we had to print our flight booking and they wouldn't allow us to print as they didn;t have a PC for guests. it was kind of an emergency and after soooo long they have printed it for us BUT we had to PAY for each sheet of paper printed. i found this disappointing as in exceptional circumstances, they should have helped as they could.

Overall, you can find hotels with bigger rooms but if you like a modern and quicky feeling, being in the centre of the city, this is for you. Just go with the right expectations!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Italiansinireland
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Dear Italiansinireland ~

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I'm happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. The vibrant & funky colors of the hotel are also what I love most about it. As you mentioned the guest room size is typical for historic buildings here in San Francisco. The building itself was erected in 1913 so it definitely has that historic charm. Although we like to say that are rooms are " cozy " rather than small .

I'm sorry to hear about your experience printing your boarding passes. I'm not sure what the situation was because we do have a PC in our lobby which prints boarding passes for free. I have passed on your comments to my Front Office staff to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen to anyone else.

I hope this won't keep you from thinking of us again in the future. We hope to see you back real soon.

antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com