“The Staff is friendly but ....this is not your usual Kimpton”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #68 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Asheville, North Carolina
“The Staff is friendly but ....this is not your usual Kimpton”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

If this is your first Kimpton visit, be assured, this is not their standard, it is well below standard. The building is very old, but that is not the issue. In order to counterbalance the small size and the age, the hotel designers went uber-funky and over the top. And even that would have been OK, if the carpeting were not threadbare, the rooms and hallways had a fungus - like smell and the "crackled surface" of the bathtub left a lot to be desired.

Until they have redo, this location does not merit a return visit.

Room Tip: All rooms have in window AC and the street noise is significant - ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SEE1981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have just returned from a 4day stay at the Triton Hotel, San Francisco.Having booked a full size double bedroom for two booked by Expedia we were given a single bedded room and told that the room was what they call a full size bed.We complained that the single bed was not suitable for two people and the manager Ross basically said if we had booked it with Expedia then that was our fault for booking with Expedia.He suggested we rang Expedia and get them to change hotels.We asked to change rooms but Ross pretended to study the availability list then said that they were sold out but he would put us on a list should a room vacancy occur. We witnessed at least 3 people come in off the street enquiring about rooms and were accommodated . Hotel totally apathetic and made no effort to rectify position. There are plus points about the hotel- the other staff who were not supervisors/duty managers were excellent and tried their best to make clients comfortable.I now note that several critics have had same experience.Be warned.

Room Tip: Don't book full size bedded room choose King or Queen
Green Features: They probably save water and energy on washing smaller sheets.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear 23Agunner ~ I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I will definitely speak to my staff about your review. If there is anything that I can do to help make up for this please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally. I sure hope you won't let this keep you from thinking of us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Looks-wise, not what I expected from a Kimpton Hotel. I guess its a hipster/trendy sort of look, but to me it was more garage sale. The halls had a musty smell to them- I'm not sure if some of the rooms allow smoking maybe? Only 2 elevators for the hotel, so there can be a wait and using the stairs is recommended if you don't want to wait forever.
The rooms are smallish, air conditioning unit is in the window and very noisy! Windows have no sound proofing so you can hear all of the noises from the street, including the homeless people fighting in the middle of the night. The bathroom sink is in the room, not the bathroom. I needed a step stool to get in and out of the shower- not made for short people. Beds had very comfortable pillows. I was disappointed with the lack of amenities- water was $6 in the room and there was no coffee in room or in the lobby (but there is a Starbucks across the street).
The happy hour with free wine is nice, the lobby is packed at this time! The staff are helpful and arranged for a car for us to the airport when we were leaving.
It's a decent hotel, but for the cost, I would not recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi Clownface918 ~ Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't what you were looking for. As a part of Kimpton Hotels, we do have quit a few in the city. Next time your plans bring you to San Francisco please reach out to me. I'd be happy to help you find the right hotel for you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Well, I read some of the reviews just now....I suppose this hotel is simply 'not the right fit' for me! The Staff are friendly, young & a bit trendy...but I was never impressed with the way they conducted the efficiency side of things! I have stayed here twice because the location is ideal for me but the lack of professionalism just frustrated me. The rooms can be small & the air con unit is tragically noisy! It's very crowded in the lobby. I adore the design of the hotel, furnishings & rooms but the price is very high for style, low on function! but if you are very adaptable, enjoy the free wine (I was never in the hotel at that time!) & want a relaxed atmosphere this might work! I also left a pair of shoes & they charged me a fortune to send them on to New York which was the final nail!! I mean I even suggested they put it towards my next visit...a winner for them, but no! it was an outrageous price of over $50!! I am also a member of their Kimpton In Touch program!! no, I will find alternative digs for my next visit!

Room Tip: I would say away from the elevator would be best!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Hello nancette ~ I'm sorry to hear that we weren't the right fit for you. As you know we have more options here in San Francisco. Reach out to me the next time you’re in the city. I'd be happy to help you discover what we have to offer and see what would be a better fit for you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The first room that I was shown was like a dark box, it was really terrible. I complained as soon as I'd seen it and I have to say that the staff were very kind and upgraded me to a larger room immediately, which was a bit better.

The location is great for tourists, but there was so much noise during the early hours that I couldn't get much sleep. As other reviewers have noted, the air conditioning was also very loud, so I simply didn't use it.

I'm not normally fussy about the bathroom, but the fact that the sink was in the main room made for quite a strange room layout.

Compared to the Clift hotel (one Star rating higher than the Triton and very, very nice), the Triton was more expensive, which absolutely amazed me.

The Staff at the Triton were very friendly and if you like a 'quirky' design, then you may feel at home there. Personally, I'd much prefer a very comfy bed, quiet room and simple but sophisticated features found at other hotels, rather than free cookies and wine at the Triton.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hi Rob G ~ Thank you for sharing your experince with us. I'm bummed that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us. If there's anything I can do to help the next time your in San Francisco please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was our first trip to SFO, and I feel we chose very well. I wanted a Kimpton Hotel based on prior experiences with the chain, but I also wanted a moderate price. The Triton met these needs perfectly. I loved the decor, the funky lobby, even the copy of Howl in our room. We enjoyed seeing the Chinatown gate as we walked out of the hotel each morning to explore. Staff was superior to many places I have stayed. Friendly and outgoing, spirited and accessible. You couldn't ask for better staff.

So why the 4 rating instead of a 5? Well, I would say that the rooms are something I call well loved... the hallways too... they obviously see a lot of traffic, and the hotel is showing its age. I don't expect everything to look brand new, but I also couldn't mark it a 5. Also, the ice is only on one floor... the 2nd floor. We were not on the 2nd floor, and it was not listed in the guest services information, so again, this is why it falls under the 4 rating.

Bath amenities were really nice (C.O. Bigelow, nice scent). We did not partake in the wine hour, as we were always out at that time of day, but I know from past experience in Kimptons that this is always a great amenity. We did get to use their town car service to go back to the airport upon departure, which cost $50 (only 2 bucks more than the taxis seem to cost to get to and from SFO), with a great driver and lots of room to relax. Highly recommended over calling a cab.

Value was great for the city, but I would say that the prices may have been higher than normal due to the America's Cup and other festivities in town. I would have expected more space for the cost if I were in a different city. That said, we would stay here again or even try one of the other Kimpton's in SFO. Great stay overall :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Let me say this place is located at the Chinatown gate in SF, a quick walk from Union Square and so is very convenient. They also have a free wine hour each evening at 5:00PM. The staff is very efficient and courteous, and the value for the rate charged is good. The room is clean and kitschy, reminiscent of the 1950's era of "Howl" and "On The Road".

But there are a few items to be aware of:
1) No breakfast is offered - only tea and coffee.
2) The rooms are a bit on the small side, although well appointed. Seems a little cramped.
3) Bed was comfortable only the first 3 nights - then it developed low spots which were uncomfortable.
4) Sink was very small and located in the bedroom not the bathroom. Some people like this, but I do not.
5) The small refrigerator was 90% taken up by contents of the room's mini-bar. I mean, seriously? A mini-bar? Is this 1970 or something? I have never, and will never incur outrageous overcharges on stale junk just to increase hotel profits, and I need a refrigerator for my own use. Triton - get over this mini-bar nonsense!
6) Television was obsolete hardware (fuzzy low-def picture) and obsolete software (an intrusive system designed to push extra room charges on you rather than to allow you to just watch TV). Again, this sort of thing should have gone out in the 1990's, not hanging around today!
7) The street noise from a large city was unavoidable at night. The windows should have been double-paned and additional sound-proofing installed in street facing walls.

Nonetheless, this place represents a well-located good value for the rate charged, and I would recommend you give this place your consideration if you are staying in SF. Many hotels that are this convenient to the downtown area charge more, and I have no idea if they are worth it!

Room Tip: If you can get a room NOT facing the streets, good for you!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family