“Comfortable, clean and tidy”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #67 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I must say the bed quality was great. I slept like a log. Pillows also great.

Hotel was a bit quirky, but its San Francisco for heavens sake!

Great location, walking everywhere highly recommended. I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

HI Christian W ~ From your lips my friend! Thanks for the awesome review.

Till next time,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Triton

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having stayed at a number of different hotels in San Francisco, and a number of Kimpton properties across the US, I thought the Triton would be up my alley. We received a very upbeat and cheerful e-mail from the front office manager a few days before arriving. We were told that "we plan to rock your world with our service".

However, the cheerfulness was nowhere to be seen on our arrival. We walked in with a lot of luggage, and got absolutely no support with our bags. We were given our key, and made it to our room. Taste is a very subjective matter, but that aside, we seriously believe that a more tasteless hotel in terms of design and interior decoration is hard to find. We have stayed in many trendy and chic hotels, but the Triton is beyond "shabby chic" and is simply run-down and needs a major revamp urgently. It is the worst Kimpton property we have seen (out of more than > 10 Kimpton hotels we have stayed in the past few years), and is very far from the consistently high level of other Kimpton hotels.

Another area that needs improvement is the service level from some of the staff. There are some outstanding employees including the front office manager, but there are unfortunately several staff members that could benefit from some basic training in how to manage customer relations. If showing an aloof and superior attitude is part of the shabby concept, we are even less impressed.

In summary, there are much better hotels very close by, including a number of Kimpton hotels, so we would suggest you steer clear of the Triton, and choose something else instead.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank xp01321
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear xp01321 ~ Wow, what can I say other than I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It sounds like we just weren't the right fit for you. As you mentioned, we do have a few other hotels in San Francisco that might better suite your needs. I would be happy to be your guide in discovering the right one for you. I do hope that you won't let this be your last experience with us but if it is, let me at least help you find your home away from home while in SF.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Hotel Triton is in an excellent location in SF--striking distance to Union Square shopping, Chinatown, and the Financial District. We actually walked almost everywhere, including AT&T Park (about 20 min), Hayes Valley (about 15 min), and the Haight (about 25 min). It's very convenient.

We chose this hotel because we are fans of Kimpton hotels in general (particularly the Palomar in DC) and liked the funky decor of this one. We also like the free newspapers and the happy hour. At this particular hotel they seemed happy to serve people off the street during happy hour, which made for some interesting and fun encounters. So, we liked the decor, the location, and the amenities.

However, there are a couple of things to note: the rooms are pretty small. I've stayed in other hotels in SF and this was definitely on the small side. If you like a spa bathroom, this is not the place for you; the bathroom was very tight, with the sink outside the bathroom proper. We also had to move from our first room, which was located on the side of the hotel above the alley leading to the Irish bar. This was after three consecutive nights of the recycling truck coming to empty the bottles (there were many) from the dumpsters between 3:30-4:30 am. On the third night they came twice. This was not drowned out by the sound of the window AC unit. So, make sure you stay away from that side of the hotel if possible.

Also, maybe I've been pampered by my experience at the Palomar in DC, but this staff was not that friendly. They never greeted us when we came down in the morning or in for the afternoon. they were nice when spoken to, and couldn't have been nicer when we asked to switch rooms, but they just lacked a certain graciousness. I can't tell if that's all part of the hip/funky/edgy vibe or if it was a lack of training.

Other than that, the stay was great. We also got a good deal on it, which helped. Given another good deal, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms along the alley. The rooms along Grant and Bush will not have the noises of trash an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello cb00561 ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with our friends on Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our location. We are in the heart of the city although it hurt to read about your experience with my staff. We like to think that our service is what sets us apart from everyone else. If you're ever back in the city please reach out to me personally, I would be honored to help make your stay as right as a Philly cheese stack!

Till then,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Im not sure i can figure out what the Kimpton 'standard' is? I am new to Kimpton, trying their properties around the country. I was not impressed with this property at all....

The location is good. Across the gate from Chinatown, and just a quick walk to Union Square. The staff is friendly and attentive....

Now...the rest. The decor, in my opinion is dated. Very dated and worn.

As an inner circle member i was upgraded to a small suite. The room was noisy. The 'window unit' air conditioner did not make a good impression with me at all. The bed and mattree was NOT as comfortable as other Kimpton Hotels. The whole room felt a bit 'worn'. The bold and wild colors were probably fun when they were initially installed....but really seemed 'old'.

My room was handicapped, and the entry door opened OUT into the hall. The latch did not have a security cover on it, and this left the lock open and the door edge. A quick trick with a knife could have opened the room easily. I was really surprised at this. They sell a feature to cover this, but none here. The safety lock fixed that once i was in the room....but it was a noticeable problem.

Kimptons standards are all over the place. Old hotels that are quickly remodeled/renovated.....to brand new properties. It confuses me.

I probably wont stay at this property again. I preferred the Prescott over this property.....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello JamesE339 ~ Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was bummed to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Please don't let this be your first and last experience with us. If your plans ever bring you back to SF, reach out to me directly. I would be happy to help make your San Francisco adventure memorable for all of the right reasons.

Hope to hear from you,

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay at Hotel Triton during my girlfriends business trip to San Francisco.

For two weeks I woke up in the same hotel room and developed an intimate awareness of the amenities on offer. The room was cozy and surrounded in wallpaper strewn with excerpts from Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road'. Our bed was a great big king size that enveloped me in comfort every night (and daytime snoozes!) Minibar items range from Nantucket Nectars to Pirate's Brand gluten free goodies. Products from C.O. Bigelow, the oldest apothecary in America, line the bathroom and shower. I draped myself in one of the plush robes hanging welcomingly beside the shower and nearly left the room wearing it.

When I finally got around to leaving the room, I discovered daily wine tastings in the fashionable lobby designed to engage like-minded travellers and provide the home away from home feel. All the staff (before AND after the free wine) were very pleasant and accommodating. As I was a novice in San Francisco, they helped with directions and recommendations which played out nicely for me.

Quite nice location as well: wedged between financial district, Chinatown and Nob Hill. Easy jaunts to all of our engagements while we stayed.

Highly recommend staying at Hotel Triton.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank afnowak

Hello afnowak ~ You're hired! What an awesome review. Thank you so much for all of your kind words. I will definitely share them with my team. Come back soon!

Reviewed 24 December 2013

The hotel had excellent facilities, great character and an absolutely brilliant location. Our room was on a high floor and faced inward so there was none of the external noise mentioned in other reviews. The staff was helpful and I'm a sucker of complimentary newspapers. Worth a second visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Gavin L ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We hope there will be a second, third and more visits with us this year!

Till then,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

My friend and I recently travelled to the states from Sydney, Australia and absolutely loved Hotel Triton! The staff were really down to earth and very approachable. Our room was comfortable and big enough for our 3 night stay. Can't wait to come back to this amazing city and lovely hotel :)

• Stayed: October 2013
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Hi Cassie_Pew ~ Thanks for the awesome review! I'm happy to hear that you both had a great time with us. Don't stay away too long!

Till next time,