“Eclectic hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
“Eclectic hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel and was not impressed with the decor, but I think some people really love the decor, so it just wasn't for me. I am used to staying at Hiltons, which are a little more upscale and less eclectic. I loved that they had a happy hour and I loved that they had free bikes to rent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Hi tawnyaluna ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that we weren't the right fit for you. Next time you’re in the city please feel free to reach out to me. We have plenty of other hotels that might better suite your taste. I would be happy to help you find the right one for you.

antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Arrived on Gay Pride Day 2013 - not the best day to drive into San Francisco. We were recommended to try Kimpton Hotels by local friends in the USA. This is not a beige boring place, we loved the colour reflecting the fun and vibrant city we had just arrived in.
This hotel is a refurbished old hotel, with a warm genuine welcome by all the staff and a central location just out of the bustle but an easy stroll into union square area. We also loved being close to Chinatown for a quick dash for noodles and quirky shopping.
Staff at front desk were most helpful with all our little queries from where to have breakfast before our early morning trip to Alcatraz, finding taxis, organizing onward flight confirmations and transport and always a cherry hello and goodbye. My son loved the rubber duckie in his room and had drawn a picture of it on the blackboard in the room, somehow front desk knew about this and mentioned to my son since he loved the rubber duckie so much he was welcome to take it with him...I think little touches like this really make a hotel stay memorable.
We all had a great time here and would not hesitate to return, indeed we are planning to one day!

Room Tip: I think the upper floors would be the preferred rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hello collsgal ~ TRUST, we don't like the "B" word either (beige)! Thank you for the awesome review!

Come back soon,
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

It is a bit quirky but not bad. The room smelled funny (cigarettes perhaps, also there were dogs wandering around the hotel so perhaps that's the reason).

Also my bed was right under the air-con unit. Even though the fan/unit was switched off, unfortunately it still let in some ambient freezing cold air which gave me a head-cold every night. I had to sleep with the covers over my head unfortunately :-(

The wine-hour and cookie-hours are a nice touch, as is the 10$ raid-the-minibar thing where you get to take whatever you want from the minibar up to a value of $10.

The location was excellent, right near Union Square.

If I visited SF again I'd likely stay in a more "run of the mill" place although this was a typical taste of everything SF had to offer.

The service was fantastic - all of the guys at the front desk were v helpful.

Room Tip: Not with an air-con unit above the bed!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi p0lak ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear about your head cold, that's never good. I hope you won't keep this from thinking of us again in the future. Should your plans ever bring you back to the city please reach out to me. I promise you'll be chillin' and not so chilly next time.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I must say the bed quality was great. I slept like a log. Pillows also great.

Hotel was a bit quirky, but its San Francisco for heavens sake!

Great location, walking everywhere highly recommended. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
HI Christian W ~ From your lips my friend! Thanks for the awesome review.

Till next time,
Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having stayed at a number of different hotels in San Francisco, and a number of Kimpton properties across the US, I thought the Triton would be up my alley. We received a very upbeat and cheerful e-mail from the front office manager a few days before arriving. We were told that "we plan to rock your world with our service".

However, the cheerfulness was nowhere to be seen on our arrival. We walked in with a lot of luggage, and got absolutely no support with our bags. We were given our key, and made it to our room. Taste is a very subjective matter, but that aside, we seriously believe that a more tasteless hotel in terms of design and interior decoration is hard to find. We have stayed in many trendy and chic hotels, but the Triton is beyond "shabby chic" and is simply run-down and needs a major revamp urgently. It is the worst Kimpton property we have seen (out of more than > 10 Kimpton hotels we have stayed in the past few years), and is very far from the consistently high level of other Kimpton hotels.

Another area that needs improvement is the service level from some of the staff. There are some outstanding employees including the front office manager, but there are unfortunately several staff members that could benefit from some basic training in how to manage customer relations. If showing an aloof and superior attitude is part of the shabby concept, we are even less impressed.

In summary, there are much better hotels very close by, including a number of Kimpton hotels, so we would suggest you steer clear of the Triton, and choose something else instead.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank xp01321
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear xp01321 ~ Wow, what can I say other than I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It sounds like we just weren't the right fit for you. As you mentioned, we do have a few other hotels in San Francisco that might better suite your needs. I would be happy to be your guide in discovering the right one for you. I do hope that you won't let this be your last experience with us but if it is, let me at least help you find your home away from home while in SF.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Hotel Triton is in an excellent location in SF--striking distance to Union Square shopping, Chinatown, and the Financial District. We actually walked almost everywhere, including AT&T Park (about 20 min), Hayes Valley (about 15 min), and the Haight (about 25 min). It's very convenient.

We chose this hotel because we are fans of Kimpton hotels in general (particularly the Palomar in DC) and liked the funky decor of this one. We also like the free newspapers and the happy hour. At this particular hotel they seemed happy to serve people off the street during happy hour, which made for some interesting and fun encounters. So, we liked the decor, the location, and the amenities.

However, there are a couple of things to note: the rooms are pretty small. I've stayed in other hotels in SF and this was definitely on the small side. If you like a spa bathroom, this is not the place for you; the bathroom was very tight, with the sink outside the bathroom proper. We also had to move from our first room, which was located on the side of the hotel above the alley leading to the Irish bar. This was after three consecutive nights of the recycling truck coming to empty the bottles (there were many) from the dumpsters between 3:30-4:30 am. On the third night they came twice. This was not drowned out by the sound of the window AC unit. So, make sure you stay away from that side of the hotel if possible.

Also, maybe I've been pampered by my experience at the Palomar in DC, but this staff was not that friendly. They never greeted us when we came down in the morning or in for the afternoon. they were nice when spoken to, and couldn't have been nicer when we asked to switch rooms, but they just lacked a certain graciousness. I can't tell if that's all part of the hip/funky/edgy vibe or if it was a lack of training.

Other than that, the stay was great. We also got a good deal on it, which helped. Given another good deal, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms along the alley. The rooms along Grant and Bush will not have the noises of trash an...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello cb00561 ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with our friends on Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our location. We are in the heart of the city although it hurt to read about your experience with my staff. We like to think that our service is what sets us apart from everyone else. If you're ever back in the city please reach out to me personally, I would be honored to help make your stay as right as a Philly cheese stack!

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Im not sure i can figure out what the Kimpton 'standard' is? I am new to Kimpton, trying their properties around the country. I was not impressed with this property at all....

The location is good. Across the gate from Chinatown, and just a quick walk to Union Square. The staff is friendly and attentive....

Now...the rest. The decor, in my opinion is dated. Very dated and worn.

As an inner circle member i was upgraded to a small suite. The room was noisy. The 'window unit' air conditioner did not make a good impression with me at all. The bed and mattree was NOT as comfortable as other Kimpton Hotels. The whole room felt a bit 'worn'. The bold and wild colors were probably fun when they were initially installed....but really seemed 'old'.

My room was handicapped, and the entry door opened OUT into the hall. The latch did not have a security cover on it, and this left the lock open and the door edge. A quick trick with a knife could have opened the room easily. I was really surprised at this. They sell a feature to cover this, but none here. The safety lock fixed that once i was in the room....but it was a noticeable problem.

Kimptons standards are all over the place. Old hotels that are quickly remodeled/renovated.....to brand new properties. It confuses me.

I probably wont stay at this property again. I preferred the Prescott over this property.....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hello JamesE339 ~ Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was bummed to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Please don't let this be your first and last experience with us. If your plans ever bring you back to SF, reach out to me directly. I would be happy to help make your San Francisco adventure memorable for all of the right reasons.

Hope to hear from you,