“Good staff, noisy area”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“Good staff, noisy area”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Positive: The staff earnestly works hard to help make your stay better. For example, the TV remote was missing from my room. I asked the front desk to help, went out to dinner, and they fixed the problem by the time I got back!
Neutral: Hotel is showing age. Bathroom stains, metal rust, chipped furniture, etc. Nothing unseemly, but also clearly not new.
Negative. Poorly insulated against street noise. My windows faced the alley, and I was awoken by trucks and other noises multiple times at night. Basically got a bad night of sleep.
Elite benefits: Inner Circle welcome amenity was forgotten at first, but provided once the omission was realized. The staff tries their best, which I appreciate.

I guess the bottom line is that this hotel doesn't do anything wrong, but in terms of location and facilities, there are more desirable Kimptons in SF.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hi SFOPhD ~ Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate the feedback, the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't all good this time. We hope you won't let this be your last experience with us.

Till next time,
antonio.flores@hoteltritton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Besides breakfast which was actually decent and on time, I can't find anything nice to say. Don't stay there.
Tiny smelly claustrophobic feeling rooms, dated fitness center, very young inexperience although friendly staff.

On top of which I paid over $500 for one night.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Francois K ~ Wow, that does sound pretty bad. I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. That is not the norm for us so I'm bummed that you didn't have the experience you were looking for. You know we have a few other hotels in SF that might better suit your needs. The next time you’re in the city please reach out to me. I would be happy to help you find the one that fits you best.

Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Upsides- great location to the Financial District, China Town, Union Square and many, many restaurants, friendly staff, awesome bathrobe and comfortable bed.

Downsides- $$$ ($>$500/night given a large conference held in town [supply & demand]), small rooms, small bathrooms, loud noises in adjacent rooms (walls too thin), and loud noises of garbage trucks in neighboring alleyways.

Neutrality- Decor is a bit outdated yet eclectic

Will I return- unlikely

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hello David C ~ Unlikely... I hope that means we still have a chance! Thanks for sharing your review with us. We hope you won't let this be your last experience at the Triton. Reach out to me the next time you're in the city. I would be happy to make it memorable for you.

Eagleville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel and was not impressed with the decor, but I think some people really love the decor, so it just wasn't for me. I am used to staying at Hiltons, which are a little more upscale and less eclectic. I loved that they had a happy hour and I loved that they had free bikes to rent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Hi tawnyaluna ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that we weren't the right fit for you. Next time you’re in the city please feel free to reach out to me. We have plenty of other hotels that might better suite your taste. I would be happy to help you find the right one for you.

Till then,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Arrived on Gay Pride Day 2013 - not the best day to drive into San Francisco. We were recommended to try Kimpton Hotels by local friends in the USA. This is not a beige boring place, we loved the colour reflecting the fun and vibrant city we had just arrived in.
This hotel is a refurbished old hotel, with a warm genuine welcome by all the staff and a central location just out of the bustle but an easy stroll into union square area. We also loved being close to Chinatown for a quick dash for noodles and quirky shopping.
Staff at front desk were most helpful with all our little queries from where to have breakfast before our early morning trip to Alcatraz, finding taxis, organizing onward flight confirmations and transport and always a cherry hello and goodbye. My son loved the rubber duckie in his room and had drawn a picture of it on the blackboard in the room, somehow front desk knew about this and mentioned to my son since he loved the rubber duckie so much he was welcome to take it with him...I think little touches like this really make a hotel stay memorable.
We all had a great time here and would not hesitate to return, indeed we are planning to one day!

Room Tip: I think the upper floors would be the preferred rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hello collsgal ~ TRUST, we don't like the "B" word either (beige)! Thank you for the awesome review!

Come back soon,
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

It is a bit quirky but not bad. The room smelled funny (cigarettes perhaps, also there were dogs wandering around the hotel so perhaps that's the reason).

Also my bed was right under the air-con unit. Even though the fan/unit was switched off, unfortunately it still let in some ambient freezing cold air which gave me a head-cold every night. I had to sleep with the covers over my head unfortunately :-(

The wine-hour and cookie-hours are a nice touch, as is the 10$ raid-the-minibar thing where you get to take whatever you want from the minibar up to a value of $10.

The location was excellent, right near Union Square.

If I visited SF again I'd likely stay in a more "run of the mill" place although this was a typical taste of everything SF had to offer.

The service was fantastic - all of the guys at the front desk were v helpful.

Room Tip: Not with an air-con unit above the bed!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi p0lak ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear about your head cold, that's never good. I hope you won't keep this from thinking of us again in the future. Should your plans ever bring you back to the city please reach out to me. I promise you'll be chillin' and not so chilly next time.

Till then,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I must say the bed quality was great. I slept like a log. Pillows also great.

Hotel was a bit quirky, but its San Francisco for heavens sake!

Great location, walking everywhere highly recommended. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
HI Christian W ~ From your lips my friend! Thanks for the awesome review.

Till next time,