“Great start to honeymoon”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #68 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really enjoyed Triton when we stayed for 3 nights at the start of our honeymoon. Very welcoming and staff friendly! V funky decor and a great location. Could have better breakfast choice but altogether a really nice hotel!

Room Tip: Choose room away from street
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I'm a Kimpton addict. This was one I had not stayed at yet. First, for average travelers, this is a great place. Location is perfect. The staff was the friendliest I've ever seen at a hotel. Not only was the small talk not awkward at check-in, but everyone in the hotel went out of their way to be friendly, and not in an annoying, fake way. A maid cleaning a room stared a conversation with me as I waited at the elevator, I was late to the happy hour and the door man sensed it and went to get me a glass of wine in the back room. I'll say it again, I've never seen such a friendly staff at the hotel.

Now back to brass tacks. I was honestly not thrilled with the room. It had a musty smell and felt quite dated. The lighting was hard to get to a comfortable level, it was either dim or too harsh. It had a window air conditioner, instead of a more typical hotel HVAC which just felt a little Motel-6 like. And sure, normally you don't need AC in San Francisco, but I guess I was there in a heat wave and did.

It's typically one of the cheaper Kimptons in San Francisco, so I suppose the price reflects it. All in all if you can get a good deal this isn't a bad place to stay, but it didn't blow me away and I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon or anything until it gets updated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here before and will stay again, great staff great location, was lucky enough to get upgraded to the Hagen Daz suite and get a great deal on room rate by dealing direct with them. Really comfortable bed. Hotel located right outside Chinatown Gates and tour buses stop right out the front. nice French place on the corner for breakfast and a Starbucks across the street.

Room Tip: deal with hotel direct they will match online prices
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Pros:
- Location, very central
- Nice price after negotiation with the staff
- A pretty different hotel, for me a new experience
- They offer free snacks and wine in the lobby around dinner time
- If you need a room and they are fully booked they will get in touch with other kimpton hotels in the area to help you
- Free wifi

Cons:
- Very small room
- Very small bath room
- Very small elevator
- Everything was just very small

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here on our second trip to San Fran. Amazing hotel with a great location and the most helpful friendly staff you could ask for. The décor was quirky, bright and a joy to be around. The room wasn't massive but a good size with lovely décor and a spacious cupboard and en suite. The bad was really comfortable and the room was really clean and tidy. It was also really quiet and could only hear someone if they were right outside our door. The free breakfast delivered to our room every morning was lovely. A cereal bar, muffin, apple, fruit juice and a bottle of water all in a brown paper bag. The staff were super friendly and helpful and were more than happy to help us with any requests or questions we had. The location was fantastic, right outside the Chinatown gates with a bus stop right on the corner. A short two blocks from Union Square and close to trams. Also not too far a walk from the embarcadero with loads of fab bars and restaurants. We will definitely be staying here again and will recommend it to anyone. It was a joy. Thanks guys!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently on our trip to San Francisco. This hotel is convenient to Chinatown, Union Square, cable cars, street cars, BART, and a Big Bus hop on location. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! We got a room that looked out over the gates of Chinatown. Our room wasn't huge, but gave us enough room to leave to large suitcases on the floor and left space to move around freely. There was also a goldfish in our room and we loved feeding it daily!
With the hotel being in the middle of town, there was some noise from traffic, but that is just part of staying downtown in a big city. I think it adds to the experience. If you want a quiet hotel, you need to stay in a different area. There are sirens, horns, and other noise, but to me it just added to the fun of being right in the middle of everything. Also, we liked this area because it is away from a lot of the sketchy stuff, which includes people sleeping in front of stores, asking for money, etc.
Another plus was the super friendly staff. They were AWESOME!!! They always spoke and welcomed us back, opened the doors when coming and going, and were just overall helpful. We had a weird flight schedule and they held our bags for us all day after we checked out. They also helped us print tickets for the Giants game, and just carried on conversations like they were interested in us.
I would most definitely recommend this hotel to people who want to be in the middle of it all. This hotel is funky, friendly, and convenient. We had a great time and will stay here again if we get the opportunity to come back to San Francisco!!!

Room Tip: Get a room looking at Chinatown!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank radarlucy
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were very impressed by the helpfulness of the staff here. We had booked a room for 4 nights, they were able to upgrade us to a better room as the one we had was quite small. The location of the hotel is excellent. Its right next to the gates of Chinatown, a Starbucks right opposite and cafes/bars next door and within 5 mins walking distance. My friend even got her hair done at the hairdressers round the corner and there is the BEST card shop right next door to the hotel. The Union Street shops are less than 10 mins walk away and the Red Bus City tour bus stops right outside the door. It doesn't have a restaurant or bar in the hotel, which would have been great but what it does have - it does well. The air con in our room didn't work too well but the shower was good.

Room Tip: Probably the higher the floor the better - due to street noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah P
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hi Sarah P ~ thanks for sharing your experience with us. We do try do the things we do well for you.
I take full responsibility for my poor rhyming skills, I just loved your comment and thought I would give it a shot. Come back and visit us again soon.

Till then,