“Fantastic Hotel”

Hotel Triton
Ranked #69 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfectly located to explore San Francisco. The staff so helpful and they offer you any advice you need. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. This is the first time we travel to the states and it was lovely being welcomed in such a great hotel. We went to California to celebrate my wife's 30th birthday. The staff ensured that we had a welcome gift of champagne and chocolate for my wife's arrival. Joe at the hotel is fantastic absolutely great at his job and he knows all the best restaurants to eat in San Francisco.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,968)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, we arrived from Maui at 6:00am so could not check in, staff were really friendly said they would contact us as soon as a room was available , we went off to city until afternoon, returned and room was ready, yes not huge room but very quirky and clean, went to wine tasting at 5:00pm which was a social event with plenty of wine and staff and guests mingled. Great location you can walk every where from here in About 20 minutes. Room had good touches not seen elsewhere like power sockets set in table tops, big theme on healthy eating and fitness, recycling bin in room, continental breakfast was enough for us delivered in paper bag so if wished you could just take it out with you. Staff wee super friendly and helpful with recommendation for eating. Would stay at here again in going back to city.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi paulSouthWales ~ "Quirky and clean", I couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks for the awesome review.

Come back soon,
Antonio Flores
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Another great kimpton experience. As it is a 3 star hotel we knew it wasn't going to be as good as the 4 star kimptons we have previously stayed in, bit it didn't disappoint. Got a great upgrade to a suite and had a bottle of bubble and funky duck waiting in the room which I loved! Great location just on the edge of Chinatown and walking distance to little Italy and Union square. Would definitely recommend as a funky hotel but could do with a bit of updating in the rooms

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I am in San Francisco for a conference, the most affordable choice with a good review near Moscone Center was the Triton Hotel by Kimpton.
If you join the hotel’s InTouch program, you’re offered room upgrades, discounts, and $10 towards the mini-bar.
My family did not come with me for this trip, that is a good thing, because the room is the size of a postage stamp. It seems upgraded rooms do not apply to conference rates, fair enough.
The good news is that the room is clean, very clean; the staff is very friendly, and it is conveniently located.
The bad news (the pictures can convey most of the experience): the hotel is old, it is an old building. The floor creaks, the tile grout is dark, the carpets should have been replaced a while back. As for the headboard, well, make up your own mind.
The AC unit is a noisy window type; speaking of windows, it seems all rooms with queen beds look into an internal “courtyard” (please see the pic). As I was getting to the room what struck me was a musty humid (dingy?) smell in the corridor and the room. When I complained, they sent housekeeping to open a window. The room does not smell like a non-smoking room, and there have been occasions when I was forced to get up and open the window because of smoke coming in.
In the morning it gets noisy, specially transformers and other cooling units starting up in the back.
The horizontal blinds do not block all light in the early morning.
All in all, for a short business stay, it is convenient, clean, and more affordable than those around. I would not vacation here with my family.
On a side note, the hotel tells you to eat at the Cafe next door, don’t. It’s overpriced and pretentious, although my server was very friendly.

Room Tip: Join the In-Touch program before you make the reservation
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really enjoyed Triton when we stayed for 3 nights at the start of our honeymoon. Very welcoming and staff friendly! V funky decor and a great location. Could have better breakfast choice but altogether a really nice hotel!

Room Tip: Choose room away from street
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I'm a Kimpton addict. This was one I had not stayed at yet. First, for average travelers, this is a great place. Location is perfect. The staff was the friendliest I've ever seen at a hotel. Not only was the small talk not awkward at check-in, but everyone in the hotel went out of their way to be friendly, and not in an annoying, fake way. A maid cleaning a room stared a conversation with me as I waited at the elevator, I was late to the happy hour and the door man sensed it and went to get me a glass of wine in the back room. I'll say it again, I've never seen such a friendly staff at the hotel.

Now back to brass tacks. I was honestly not thrilled with the room. It had a musty smell and felt quite dated. The lighting was hard to get to a comfortable level, it was either dim or too harsh. It had a window air conditioner, instead of a more typical hotel HVAC which just felt a little Motel-6 like. And sure, normally you don't need AC in San Francisco, but I guess I was there in a heat wave and did.

It's typically one of the cheaper Kimptons in San Francisco, so I suppose the price reflects it. All in all if you can get a good deal this isn't a bad place to stay, but it didn't blow me away and I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon or anything until it gets updated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here before and will stay again, great staff great location, was lucky enough to get upgraded to the Hagen Daz suite and get a great deal on room rate by dealing direct with them. Really comfortable bed. Hotel located right outside Chinatown Gates and tour buses stop right out the front. nice French place on the corner for breakfast and a Starbucks across the street.

Room Tip: deal with hotel direct they will match online prices
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo