“I wanted to rate this so much higher but”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #66 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“I wanted to rate this so much higher but”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I did a lot of research before booking the Triton and I loved so much about it. I loved my quirky room. All of the staff were delightful. Location is good. I made one wine tasting and loved it. All fantastic except i did not get one good nights sleep! I had read a review saying it was noisy but i wasn't worried as I live on a tram line at home. But, with the air conditioning unit in the window, it was like having an open windiw all night and my room was over some lane where bottles were emptied into bins every night and regularly people (drunk) were yelling at each other through the night. Probably if you were on the other side of the hotel it would be ok. So much potential!

Room Tip: Get a room on the side not overlooking the lane!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Kapaau, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The decor is just great. The rooms are very nice, everything is in good order and clean, staff is very friendly. Good location. Once I have been here, it is the place to come back to. It is a 100-year old building, but everything in it is modern.

Green Features: Same policy as all hotels nowadays: keep your towels if you want, or have them replaced daily. There are rental bicycles.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hey lummerzheim ~ Thanks for the great review. The building was erected in 1903, lots of wonderful history! We are truly what a boutique hotel is all about. Come back and visit us soon.

windsor
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in May at the start of our California road trip holiday and at the Santa Barbara Kimpton Canary at the end of our trip. We looked at lots of hotels before booking this one and we were very happy with our choice. The location is great, right next to China town and just a stones throw from Union Square and trams that take you to Pier 39.
The welcome that we got upon arrival was lovely and friendly, our room, although small was spotlessly clean , wonderfully decorated and had clean fluffy towels, bathrobes, a king sized bed with soft and clean sheets and pillows, the room is so well stocked with everything that you could possibly need.
There are plenty of near by cafes and bars and restaurants to choose from.
Yes, there are a few noise issues but not through any fault of the hotel. Its a city, what do you expect, take ear plugs!
We spent a very happy and comfy 4 days here and can highly recommend.
Just one small thing that The Kimpton people need to note.....some British travellers do like their tea. You offer a wonderful service each morning of free tea and coffee but your English breakfast tea, although a lovely brand by the looks of it is grim! We went to Starbucks every day to get our tea because yours was so yuk! We had to do the same at your hotel in Santa Barbara. Please change the tea bags for next time we stay because we think your hotels are great. x

Room Tip: I would request a high up room to try and filter out city noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello squeezeWindsor ~ With a review like that, I will be sure that you have tea fit for a Royal the next time your here with us. Thanks for all of your kind words. We do all that we can to make sure our guests enjoy their stay. We even have ear plugs. :) Come back and visit us again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is our second visit to Hotel Triton. We love the location and the relaxed colourful atmosphere. We stayed in 2009 for 3 nights and decided to return 2014. Ok so it is slightly more tired but still the same plus's. We love happy hour in the lobby each night where we are given generous glasses of wine and get to meet some of the other guests from all round the world. Staff always on hand with big smiles and only too pleased to answer any questions and help out. The rooms are very different, great amenities and free wifi.

1 Thank Heather H
Hi Heather H ~ I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for all of your kind words. We hope to be your home away from home here in San Francisco!

Ta,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for about a week and had no complaints. The hosts were pretty cool. I did not bring a charger and they hand delivered me a new one, lol...small things are what count! also i was able to make limo reservations with them in the middle of the night for the next day! Great location. We walked primarily everywhere and our feet hand no complaints. There are a few nice food places around the hotel...not to mention china town is ten feet away. Very great stay, thanks again!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hey KULINARYKING ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We like to think "small is the new black!"

Come back soon,
Great Falls, Montana
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I travel frequently to San Francisco, but this was my first stay at the Triton. It's well located, between Chinatown and Union Square. It's a great, quirky boutique hotel. I loved the colorful lobby and the little touches in the guest room...a copy of "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg; leopard print bathrobes, great comfy bed and well stocked mini bar...staff was friendly and accomodating; loved the wine hour in the afternoon.

Other reviewers mention the loud A/C...it didn't bother me a bit.

I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms 608 or 708---higher floors, corner rooms, great views!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hi BigSkyBison ~ Thanks for the awesome review. We hope to see you back sooner than later! Till then,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed for a week to celebrate my 30th birthday. The hotel is in a fab location in Nob Hill, just across the road from Dragon's gate, the entrance to Chinatown. The rooms are small but nicely decorated with a comfy bed. The reception area is great, with retro films playing, iced water on tap and very friendly staff. There are bikes which are free to rent (first come first served) and we had a lovely day cycling to golden gate bridge and Sausalito. It's not a cheap place to stay, and breakfast isn't included, but for a special treat it was great.

Only downside was the bar next door threw all their bottles into the bottle bank at about 3am which woke us up every night, despite being on the 6th floor!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hi eddlestoner ~ Thanks for the great review. We hope you had a great 30th birthday! I say we become your home away from home for every birthday from here on out. I'm sorry to hear about the bottle rockets. There is a pretty popular Irish Pub just behind the hotel which can be a plus or minus for some. Next time your here I'll treat you to a Guinness for sure.