2,077 results
All reviewscable cargreat locationunion squareboutique hotelpowell stbart stationcomplimentary winewine hourwine receptionstreet sideheart of san franciscostreet noisejunior suitelight sleeperrooms are smallaround the cornermoscone center
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Decided to stay overnight while out in the city one evening recently and called the Personality Hotels group to book a room at one of their hotels for the night. I told them I needed to be near Union Square, so they suggested this hotel. They told me they had a room available, so when I arrived at the hotel minutes later by cab, the guy at the front desk said there were no rooms available without even looking it up in his computer. When I told him I was just told there was one available minutes ago, he then looked it up and sais "Oh yes, we do have a room."

So I booked the room, paid for it and went up to the room. When I got in there, the room was no more than a closet with no window to the outside world. It was incredibly hot and I couldn't find the AC unit. Then I tried to plug in my iphone into the iphone dock, but it wouldn't work. My phone was about to die and I needed a charge. I went back down to the front desk and said "Where is the AC unit and why doesn't this iphone dock work?"

He said "Oh, your room doesn't have any AC, and the iphone docks don't work in every room." Really? So you charge a premium for terrible rooms like this? I asked him to find me a new iphone dock, but he said "we are all out".

I asked for a refund and told him I would find another hotel to stay at instead. He said he didn't know how to refund me, and that I would have to wait until the manager came in the next morning... well after I was to leave the hotel anyway. So, I was forced to stay in this sweltering shoebox of a room, in which the overhead fan didn't even work either.

Needless to say, I couldn't fall asleep in the stale heat of that room, so I ended up leaving the room at about 5am and walked around the neighborhood w/ San Fran's homeless crowd until the sun came up, then I checked out early. Horrible experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Randall S
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Dear Mr. Randall,

I was certainly troubled by the details you have shared about your accommodations and experience during your stay at Hotel Union Square. I am truly disappointed that we failed to improve your experience, as the comfort of our guests is our priority. It is never our intention for any guest to feel less than thrilled with our hotel and service.
I apologize for the difficulties that you encountered, and I want you to know that your review is being shared with and addressed to all of the staff to avoid these types of issues from reoccurring in the future.

I will be contacting you directly so we can further discuss the aspects of your stay in detail.

Best regards,
Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed here after arriving from Hawaii and driving from LA all in one day. We had three adults and one 13 year old in our group. We were charged and extra $60 for the extra adult. When we arrived we were given a 160 square foot room. We could not even walk around without stepping on each other. After complaining and told we would have to pay another $40 per night we were given a larger room with one king bed and a broken sofa sleeper. My daughter fell thru the bed and when we looked under the mattress it had been tied with a wire bread tie! Yes that is true, $$$$$ and we get a mattress held in place with a bread tie. What a rip off!!! Don't stay here or you will be very disappointed!!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen D

I am very sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience with us an I am truly disappointed that we didn’t have the opportunity to improve your experience during the time of your stay, as the comfort of our guests is our priority. We always accommodate and address any issue our guests might have during their stay, so I appreciate the fact that you brought your concerns to my attention. I must say the team at Hotel Union Square was so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy the room and your upgrade fee was refunded immediately after you communicated the issue involving the sofa bed.

Please contact me directly, so that I may have a chance of making you a fan of our hotels again.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Service was exceptional we have a service dog traveling with us and they were non discriminatory and helpful. Also had early check in very convenient location for SF on foot (BART station very close) & walking distance to AT& T park . The only complaint we have is the VERY SQUEAKY BED not justified by the cost we paid for room.

Room Tip: even with construction across street still great views for people watching and great location to do all S.F. big city stuff by foot
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel was booked for me during a week when a rather large convention was taking place so the rate was well over $300 per night (which apparently was a good deal at the time). I'd recomend it at least once for a business traveler or couple on a leisure trip that wants to experience the heart of the downtown. It is definitely a bustling place that's worth experiencing (not a daily baisis however). I would discourage families from staying here and any other Union Square hotel just because there's a lot of stuff around there I wouldn't want kids to be exposed to (bums, solicitors, adult-themed signs, etc.). I wouldn't a recommend getting around with a car either. There are plenty of mass transit, cabs and shuttles to go around.

The building itself is an extremely tight and eclectic mix of old exterior with very modern interior rooms and fixtures. My room had no windows which left me without a view but also limited the street noise sufficiently for a good night slieep. The staff was pretty top notch with professional service and knowledge of the surrounding area. The evening wine reception, businesses centers, and WiFi were nice experiences for me too.

Overall, this hotel can be recommended for business and couples wanting to experience the heart of San Francisco. Budget travelers may want to stay outside the City and use mass transit for the experience without the City price.

Room Tip: Get room with no windows if you're a light sleeper. Research mass transit options and routes before you arrive.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stayed here for a few nights, its a great location for everything. Just around the corner macys and bloomingdales. The room was a tad small but had everything you could want. The check in was swift and easy they required a credit card to keep on file. The beds were comfy,spotlessly clean and the bed linen was stain free and changed once during the 3 nights we were there, so were the towels. there was an ipod docking station and a small hospitality tray. There is free coffee in reception during the morning and wine during the evening. There is a free in room safe. Room service is available by contacting the concierge who orders it from the restaurant next door. All in all, a good place to stay to be in the middle of the action.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family