“Good Start to Our Honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #102 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
ontario, canada
“Good Start to Our Honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Hotel Union square was our first stay during our honeymoon in California. Check-in was seamless, location was excellent, however it is also easy to miss if you are looking for the building.

Lobby was small, yet clean. They host a daily wine reception which is nice. Our room was on I believe the 6th floor. While there is an elevator, there may be a few more steps to bring luggage up depending on where your room is. Ours happened to be at the very back of the building. The window was actually a fire escape. If you have a hard time with stairs or are disabled I'd recommend making this clear as the hotel is at times full.

Our room was very small - typical for the city. The only thing I would complain about was that the Wifi in our room was pretty spotty, but it might be due to the fact our room was pretty much in the furthest corner.

The room only had a fan which was fine - no A/C. Our room safe and television remote control were not working. We let the front desk know of this and both were repaired immediately.

Beds were comfortable, our room had a shower stall which was clean.

The hotel itself is about a block from the street car turnaround and Union Square. There is a brand new Walgreens across the street which was convenient. We got a bottle of wine both evenings and some snacks.

No complaints - great stay. I did see some other reviewers got upgrades and or other small perks when visiting on their honeymoon. We told them the occasion for our stay in advance, but it didn't result in anything - (you gotta try!) Obviously this was fine! We would stay here again!

Room Tip: Room sizes seem to vary significantly, even in the same bed size class.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Hebrew first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Great location, small rooms, friendly staff. At night, you can hear the noise of the streets outside, which is distracting. Do yourself a favor and stay at Hotel Abri, which is one block away and is the same price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank B T
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear BT,

Thank you for taking the time of writing a comment about your stay. It is a pleasure to read about how nice the staff was to you I am nevertheless disappointed that your stay with us did not completely meet your expectations. We hope you will give us a second chance and maybe stay in one of our Executive King rooms or Junior King suites that might better suit your needs.

Best regards.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

After searching and comparing and reading reviews about countless hotels around San Francisco, we finally decided on Hotel Union Square. We were so glad we did! The location is perfect, right on Powell in the middle of all of the shops and restaurants and one block from the BART. If you are looking for a quiet retreat where you will never hear any noise, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a cute, comfortable hotel room that makes you feel as though you are a part of this great city, then this is for you! Our room was at the end of a hall on the 5th floor with our window looking out onto Powell and all of the nightlife. I dont know what the view would be from other rooms though. The room is small, but I was only traveling with my boyfriend so we didnt mind. We were checked in immediately, our room was clean. When we checked out, they were nice enough to store our luggage so we could spend the day out before our flight.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Miserlou,

It is such a pleasure to read your nice comment about your stay at Hotel Union Square. Thank you for taking the time of sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. My staff and I are very happy that you had a good stay. We hope to be able to accommodate you next time you come to San Francisco.

Kind regards,

Domitille
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stylish hotel in a perfect location. Room acoustic could be a little better - one can hear the cable car early in the morning. Confy bed; bathroom has a strong shower; helpful front desk staff. would definetely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Olten, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This Hotel is just awesome! This year I booked it for the first time. The friendly personnel welcomed us warmly in the beautiful little Hotel-Lobby.
The room (executive double) was great! We had a perfect side view on to Powell Street and a direct view on Ellis Street. The room was a bit small but enough for just sleeping there.
The Hotel offers very much with free WiFi Internet as well as complementary Coffee and Tea in the Morning, Water and Tea during the day as well as the free Wine Hour in the evening (incl. Live Music) ;)
I will come almost every year to San Francisco and this Hotel will be from now on my First-Choice when booking a room!

Room Tip: if you Need to seperate King Size rooms - ask for room No. 407 (4th Floor) just great!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HBPPG
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I loved my stay at the Hotel Union Square. This is an unassuming hotel from the exterior so if you need to roll up on fanciness to feel happy, you might be underwhelmed. That said, the lobby is quaint and staff is attentive. I was attending a conference in town, and wanted to be close to the Moscone and this hotel is a quick 10 minute walk away. The rooms are very well appointed, with great linens, uber-comfy modern furnishings, and closet space as well as terrific desk and wi-fi for working during your stay. My room overlooked Powell street, which can be noisy so if that's a concern for you, take note. I don't mind the clanging of a street car while in San Francisco - it makes me feel like - well, like I'm in San Francisco (which is awesome)! The city windows have heavy curtains to block out the sun if you need to awaken gently, and the bathroom of my room had really cool tile work and a strong shower. There is a ( SLOOOOW ) elevator, but this is a small hotel, and I don't mind taking the stairs which are well situated in this building. I didn't have a car to park so can't comment on that experience, but I can tell you there is a lot directly behind the hotel with direct access to the lobby. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay at this solid, well appointed, stylish, and authentic San Francisco boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SCRMjen
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here for four nights in August of 2013 whilst visiting San Francisco. The location of the hotel was perfect! It's located very centrally amongst all the shops and just one block (<1 minute walk) from the main Powell st cable car turning station. This cable car terminates near pier 39 etc.

The rooms are a little small but I understand that's pretty standard for San Francisco. We chose a room overlooking the rear if the hotel - it was absolutely silent which is amazing considering its location.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ryan H
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear RyanH,

Thanks a lot for taking the time of writing a review about your stay at Hotel Union Square. If you were to stay with us again and you wished to have a bigger room maybe you should try our Excutive King rooms or our Junior King Suites.
We are very pleased that you had a good stay with us.

Regards,