“No windows & Oddly placed Air conditioner”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #103 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Vancouver, Canada
“No windows & Oddly placed Air conditioner”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was neat, very David Lynch, happy hour was great, live musician while you sip on wine. The odd thing was there was NO window in our room. No one mentioned this at check-in. It was an extra charge to get a window. The air conditioning was really loud and in the middle of the room. The parking was $45 a day which seemed high. Great location, close to shops and transportation.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a window when you book as well as when you check in
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Josh R,

I would like to thank you for taking the time of leaving a comment on Trip Advisor.
Thank you for pointing out our staff's friendliness, this is very important to us at Hotel Union Square.
I am sorry that your room wasn't as you expected. There is actually no additional fee for a room with a window, but depending on what room type you booked we do have rooms that are on a shaft and do not have much day light. If availability allows us we always try to find a solution to satisfy our guests.
I hope you will stay with us again.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Hebrew first
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Union Square in late August 2013. The location is outstanding - right by all the shopping and bars and nightlife. The staff was great and the rooms are clean, but I could not get past how uncomfortable the pillows and bed were, it was a rough nights sleep. Plus it's very loud because of the street noise. We also didn't have windows in our room, which made me feel a little closterphobic. It's a boutique style hotel so all the floors look different - nicely decorated and charming. They also have a wine reception in the evening, which is a nice bonus.

Overall, if you're just in it for the location, this is the place. And maybe bring your own pillow.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Msebaker,

Thank you for your comment, we are always looking to improve ourselves. I am sorry that our pillows and beds did not suit you, I will take look into that matter.
Hotel Union Square is located in the heart of Union Square, therefore it can be a little loud at night, we also have room on the courtyard which are very quiet. I hope we could have offered you a better stay.
I hope we can accommodate you again in the future and show you another side of the hotel.

Best regards,
East Lothian
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Arrived on 15/9 and spent 3 great nights. Check in was fast and efficient, staff on reception were very welcoming. Rooms are small but have everything you need and are very clean and modern. The room was very quiet (611) no road noise. Marvin the concierge was so helpful and managed to get us Alcatraz tickets. TOP TIP - plan your Alcatraz visit before you come to SF!,,,, it was our 25th wedding anniversary whilst here and we received a lovely bottle of complimentary champagne, so very thoughtful and appreciated. Evening free wine reception was very nice and gave you a chance to swap tips with other travellers. Morning coffee in the lobby was also great. BUT BEST OF ALL - the location!!! Bang smack in the middle of everything! I would definitely stay here again! In fact staying one more night at the end of the 2 weeks when we go to Alcatraz. Why can't we have service in the UK like they provide here??

Room Tip: One at the back, less road noise.we had 611 and it was very quiet, air con a bit noisy though
Dear Alison0706,

I am so glad you had a good stay with us for your anniversary, this is very rewarding for my staff and me when we receive this type of comment. I will let Marvin know how much his services were appreciated. You were definitely lucky to get a last minute ticket to Alcatraz.
Maybe we will have the pleasure to have you back to celebrate another anniversary!

Kind regards,
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Hotel Union Square is in a great location, close to the Powell-Mason cable car line, and just a block and a half from Market Street, where there is a BART station and many street car and bus stops.

Staff is very helpful and polite. The cleaning staff had the room ready hours before our check in.

The elevator is very small and there are a few steps leading to some of the hallways. If steps are a problem for you, be sure to ask for a room on the first floor.

Be sure to ask if your room has air conditioning if it's something you're used to. Coming from Maryland, we we're surprised to find that many hotels in San Francisco don't have air conditioning. The building does have a few rooms with AC, but most don't. Just know that San Francisco hotels typically don't have air conditioning. We opted for a room with A/C over a room with a window/view.

We originally had a smaller room and when asked for a room with A/C we got an upgraded room with more space. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was big with a large tub and a shower head with great water pressure. The TV doesn't have many channels and the picture isn't the best, but for the other things the room offered as being nice, it was ok.

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of our California trip up the coast. The location was great and the staff friendly, but the room was the smallest we have ever stayed in. It had a wierd smell that never went away and our room was right beside the elevator so we hear the "bing" of the elevator all night.

I think there are better value rooms in the same area, so we wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Slogan30,

Thank you for taking the time of leaving a comment, we are sorry your stay with us did not meet your expectations but thank you for letting us know.
If availability allows us we always try to offer another room if the one offered at check in doesn't suit our guests. I wish we had the chance to make your stay better.
We hope that you will think of us next time you come to San Francisco and maybe give us a second chance.

Best regards,
Indiana
Reviewed 14 September 2013

You will love pulling up to be greeted by the uniformed "Beefeaters" out front before entering the lovely and quaint lobby.
The service at check in is courteous and the staff is pleasant.
The rooms are nice but not lavish and as others have said are on the small side, but that is not unusual for SF--like NYC space is at premium. I stayed a week and didn't feel closed in at all. If you want the most authentic experience, get a room on Powell Street..watch and hear the street cars. (If you prefer quiet over this true SF experience ask for a different side. )
The location is great...Street car outside the door, other public transport nearby, Convention Center close, half price ticket outlet within walking distance, etc. There is great dining and nightlife near as well...I didn't take my car out once.
This was my second stay here and I'd go back if I needed to stay in this area. The concierge is good..and my advice is to use them as a resource rather than the Beefeaters--both times I failed to do that, were the 2 times I had less than stellar dining experiences.
You would be hard pressed to find a more pleasant staff than the people you will experience at 114 Powell.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Union Square while we were in SF for two night. I would rank our overall stay here as just good. The location was perfect. It is good walking distance from most of the touristy spots in SF.. but also close to the MUNI and cable car stop if you dont feel like walking. Lots of stores around for shopping and Union Square is just around the corner. This is a perfect spot for tourists looking to explore SF.

We stayed in an executive king on the second floor facing Powell Street, right across from UNIQLO. I noticed the street noise as soon as we walked into our room. We had requested for a different room but none were available. After spending a night there, it wasn't too bad, but can be an issue for light sleepers. Cable cars stop around midnight, but there are still people roaming the streets in the late hours. Request a room on a higher floor or facing away from the street if you think you'll have issue with this.

Bed was comfy, room was spacious. There was free wifi and complimentary wine at night in the lobby.

Other than the street noise, another issue we had was the bathroom. It was a little dirty with black shower gunk on the tiles. Also, it seems like the bathroom was not designed for the average person. I'm 5'7" and I found the toilets to be way too tall. My feet were literally dangling off the seat. The shower head was not adjustable and too low. I had to stand at least a foot from the wall so my head could get wet. No joke, it was so absurd I laughed every time I had to go into the bathroom.

Overall, other than the bathroom and road noise, our stay was good. It was only for two nights so we could deal with the imperfections.

Pro: Great locaton, free WIFI, complimentary evening wine, spacious room

Con: Weird bathroom design , road noise

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the streets or on a higher floor if you are a light sleeper. Execut...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple