“Disappointing”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #91 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Well we just checked in our last stop on a month long trip thinking we were booking into a nice hotel to wind down. What we got is a shoe box. The bathroom is so small u can't put your toiletries in it. The room is literally 3x5 metres small. It unbelievable considering we paid $1100 for 4 nights. I won't be recommending this hotel. I am sooo utterly disappointed. Only good thing is a good location for shopping.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ashbrown
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear ashbrown,

Thank you for taking the time of leaving a comment on Trip Advisor. I am sincerely sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectation. Hotel Union Square is an old building and it's true that some of our rooms are on the smaller size but we do have a wide range of rooms including larger ones. Our Front Desk agents always try to find a solution when a guest is not happy with his room. I hope we had that opportunity with you.

Best Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,903)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

When I visited last SF December 2012, for fun I thought I would stay in 3 different hotels because why not? This was my last hotel that I stayed in for about 3 nights and I liked this the best. The room is beautiful, clean, stylish, and comfortable. They offer free wine after 5 too! I found the hotel staff to be extremely friendly and nice. Its in the best location as well. I only wish that I could stay here in my next trip to SF but the hotel is a bit too expensive in October but far cheaper in December which is when I last traveled to SF.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sonia C
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hi Sonia C,

It is never too late to post a comment moreover when it is that nice, thanks a lot. December is going to be there soon, we hope that you will come back, stay with us at Hotel Union Square and enjoy all the fun of San Francisco during the Holidays.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I'm so glad I decided to booked in this hotel after so many days of stressing out where to stay in San Francisco. The hotel is centrally located and just all walking distance to shops, restaurants,
public transportation, cable cars and trams just a five minute walk. Our room was on the 5th floor, and I can have the view of the street, and all other shops. The room was so clean , especially the linens. The staff, I couldn't asked for more. They are friendly and very accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel to anybody going to San Francisco. If you love shopping, about 5 minutes walk to all the brand names shops, and to the other side, just all five minute walk. And before I forgot, free coffee in your room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank maganda0411

Dear Maganda0411,

Thank you for your very nice review, it is a real pleasure to read that you had such a good time with us. Hotel Unions Square is in the heart of San Francisco close to everything one wants to see when visiting. Thanks also for your comments about the staff, they really put their hearts in the service they are providing and they are always happy that they made someone happy.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to accommodate you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2013

There was a nice young vibe to this hotel and the location is excellent. The shops and restaurants at Union Square as well as the mall on Market St. are short walks away. The Powell St. BART station and the cable car turnaround are also right there. The front desk staff and the concierge were very helpful. The room rates were good for SF. Parking is available behind the hotel. However, the overnight parking rate seemed excessive. Overall, we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Esankay

Dear Esankay,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Union Square and for leaving such a nice comment about your stay.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again next time you are in San Francisco.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

A perfect location being only 1.5 blocks from the BART railway station with direct trains to the airport. A similar distance from the Cable Car turntable/start with an intermediate car stop almost outside. Union Square is about 2 blocks away. The hotel is surrounded by shops, bars and restaurants with the nearest being only a few paces away

We had the standard room and whilst it was certainly compact it had all that was required for a 4 night city break. Bed and pillows were comfortable, shower very effective and a decent tv (if required). In room coffee maker produced very drinkable coffee.

We were offered a street view room (likely to be noisy) or an internal room with the latter being quiet so you have a choice between a view or no noise

The complimentary free glass of wine at 5pm and occasional live music in reception were nice touches

Overall difficult to fault and i am sure the more expensive rooms would give more soace to those that want it

Room Tip: Internal rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike48

Dear Mike48,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good time in San Francisco.
Our hotel has a lot of different room types and features, we always try to accommodate our guests as best as we can.

Maybe we will have the pleasure to have you again next time you are in San Francisco.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel was in a great location and within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Public transportation was within a five minute walk. Our room was on the 5th floor with a view of the street below. The hotel staff was very eager to please and couldn't have asked for a better experience. I would definitely stay at this hotel on a return visit to San Francisco.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Makenna121,

Thank you for letting us know how pleased you were of your stay at Hotel Union Square, I will let the staff know that you were very pleased with them too. Positive comments from our guests really brightens our day.
We hope to have you back soon next time you stay in San Francisco.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

my family and I stayed here in September 2013. The hotel is located in a very central area especially for tourists, cable cars right outside the door. All the staff are very helpful. The coffee in the mornings and wine hour in the evening are a great touch. The rooms are a good size. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Walgreens is across the road for anything you may need we had great breakfasts next door at Tads Restaurant which was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TinaB2803

Dear TInaB2803,

How pleasant it is to know that we made your stay a delightful one! I am happy that you were able to enjoy our wine hour and the live music from 5pm to 6pm. Hotel Union Square is located in the center of everything and it seems that you really took advantage of all the possibilities it offers you.
It would be a pleasure to have you back with us. Thanks again for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

Regards,