“Great service at Union Square”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #91 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed at Hotel Union Square over Thanksgiving for 4 nights. The location is wonderful - right in the middle of shopping, restaurants, etc. Easy walking. Our room was large & clean and very quiet - faced inside. But the friendly staff are what's so great about this hotel. Check in was smooth and professional even though we came in very very late. Housekeeping was prompt. But after we arrived back home, I discovered I had left my cell phone & charger in the room (can't believe I did that). I was very worried, but I needn't have been. I called immediately and the staff were very helpful - they found my phone/charger and sent it back to me - no muss, no fuss! Thank you so much! We highly recommend and will stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inside are quieter - we asked specifically for inside vs facing the street (the cable c...
1  Thank Wil H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,903)

Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Union Square for the first three nights of our USA honeymoon adventure and we were really pleased with the place. Really nice room, very spacious and of high standard. Good location and helpful staff. There is no restaurant, gym or swimming pool if that is what you are looking for but for a room for a few nights to explore SF then it is fine.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve L
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I go to SF a couple time a year and have stayed at most boutique hotels in the Union Square area - his is the best of them! The staff is excellent - warm, friendly and helpful. Their regular rooms can feel a little small so make sure to upgrade to a deluxe room - it's worth the extra space.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue961
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Usually the word "boutique" next to the hotel name raises expecations very high - and in most cases the disappointment is as big as the expectation. Not this time. This hotel definitely met the high expectation I had both from reading about it on TripAdvisor and from my previous experience with boutique hotels. The hotel is perfectly located, a few steps from the Union Square, from the Cable Car station and BART (Bay Area railway). The room is small but very convenient and clean. Public areas are nicely decorated. The servise was just great, both at the reseption and at the concierge stand. Two things keep me away from giving 5. The first one is the noise in the room. Probably I was unlucky with having both the elevator and the ice dispenser next to my room (309). The 2nd one is rather personal: my room's window was facing the next building's wall so I had almost no daylight in my room (not talking about views), which felt a bit depressing. But all in all - it was a good weekend stay after a busy business week away from home.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shuriki
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. Location is excellent with the cable car just outside, shopping right on Powell St, and on every corner including the Westfield shopping center. Restaurants are all easily accessible. Easy walks to the ferry building and Chinatown as well. The rooms are on the tiny side but it's clean and comfortable. We had a walk in walk robe in our room which was handy to store all our shopping! There's wine hour in the evenings for guests and coffee and tea in the mornings. It's well priced for a very conveniently located hotel. Excellent and highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VBPUFF
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel is all about location and price. You will not be disappointed, BUT if you are not happy with your accommodations, politely speak with Alex and Jewels. They will do everything they can to make your stay perfect! The evening wine and the morning coffee is a welcome touch. Tad's, next door, is a must for early morning breakfast. Just down the street, Powell street cable car turnaround. Do not miss Kuleto's up the street for a great meal, or the easy peasy cocktail bar, Sir Frances Drake.

Room Tip: Accept the fact that people in the city are here to have a good time. Do not complain about hearing...
3  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I loved this hotel! The location is great and the hotel itself is old, historic but kept up. I loved the exposed brick walls!

The room was good - we upgraded to the bigger room. We over looked the court yard.

Room Tip: If you over look the street your room will be loud from the street cars that run directly in front o...
1  Thank KikiMira