“Worst stay of my life and I have really slummed it in the past.”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #90 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Thin walls. No windows in room that looked outside. 2 small windows that looked into a ventilation shaft and were locked. Light in bathroom broken. Door card reader faulty. Too hot in room and mobile air con was stuck on high. Sounded like an F16. When air con was off you could hear all the hotel maintenance staff talking.

• Stayed: April 2014
mannehaut, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear SmashingPete,

Thank you for taking the time of writing a comment about your stay, I am very disappointed to read that you did not feel comfortable staying with us. I truly apologize for those circumstances.

Our hotel is more than a 100 years old and we do have very different room types also facing the street. I wish you would have tried a different room type that you would have felt comfortable into.

Making our guests happy is what we continuously aim at and if you will reconsider giving us a second chance, I would like to take care of your reservation and make sure you will have a great stay with us at the Hotel Union Square!

Sending my best wishes from San Francisco,

Gregory Baur

Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

If you're looking to be right near Union Square but not paying a fortune, this is a reasonably-priced hotel (I wouldn't call it "boutique" myself) with pleasant staff and the kind of rooms you'd expect in an old SF building - a bit small, but perfectly clean and adequate. If you're doing San Francisco "right" you're not going to be spending a lot of time in the room!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great Location. -- Near Cable Cars, Union Sq, Shopping. We reserved a Kids Suite - large corner room with trendel bed for kids and excellent king bed for parents. Kids loved it. Parking $40 overnight. Hotel located in the city and you should expect noise - however we were up early and it wasn't a problem for us. Just one note - I felt carpet was little dusty and requred good cleaning.
To summarize: If you have kids I would highly recomend "kids suite". Great value and good location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Personality H, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi Paul S,

Thank you so much for taking your time and share you experience with other travelers. It is very important for us for us to know what made your experience special, as well as points of improvement. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning for your next trip to San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best Regards
Domitille Montoro

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great location - train from airport stops about 200m from hotel
near cable car starting point, near union sq - macy's etc and loads of restaurants
Room was decent size, nice bathroom, good value for money, cute little touches makes it a pretty design
they even offer free coffee in the morning and wine in the evening!
wifi in room was free
some noise from street, but not a problem
would stay again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rolly12
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We loved our stay here. We had a great sized room with a fab shower, fridge, safe and big comfy bed. Hotel was nicely decorated and high standards of cleanliness.
Great location and despite being in the city we didn't find the noise a problem.
The only thing missing was a kettle.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed here in Febuary for 3 night, the rooms clean a little dark, all you required for a short stay, breakfast was plentifull, very cenral, shops and restaurant right on you door step. Open bus across the road takes you to the pier and fishemans wharf. we found this very usefull.
There is a pool, the area looked nice and clean.

Room Tip: our room was a bit dark. 2 floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacky G
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Although Hotel Union Square has an excellent location, the room I stayed in was incredibly small and a major disappointment for the price I paid. Bathroom and work desk space was also not up to par. Flimsy work desk chair too. Security lock didn't work either and it took me an average of 12 times to enable the room key/card to work.

Photos of the room are very misleading - no frills, no robe - can use a better description

Being a native Northern Californian, I stayed in several hotels in San Francisco but decided to try something different. Needless to say, I will not be coming back to this hotel. Front desk service was also below par.

Room Tip: Definitely make sure you know what you're getting with the "No Frills Double"
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tristarsbr
Domitille M, General Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Tristarbr,

First of I would like to thank you for taking the time of leaving a review on Trip Advisor.
What a disappointment to read that your stay did not match your expectations. I am terribly sorry that you had some issues with your lock and the furniture in your room. I don't know if we had the opportunity to, but I wish we had the chance to fix those issues and/or change your room.
Making our guests happy is what we continuously aim at and we hope that you will reconsider staying with us another time and get the stay you were expecting.

Best regards,