“It is what it is - just excellent!!”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #98 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My second visit at the Hotel Union Square was amazing again!
I booked an Executive King Room maybe to get a better room which is maybe Street Facing and bright. Unfortunately, the room we get in the first place was very dark and we looked at the courtyard in the middle of the hotel. We just saw the other rooms on the other side and the Air-Conditioning System in between.
But after a short discussion with the Hotel Stuff we were able to change the room after one night in the first one. We had then a great room with 3 windows all facing Powell Street. It was just awesome! The hotel has also a new Lobby with great lighting and colors.

Room Tip: Try getting a room Street Facing - we had first Room # 210 (terrible) Then we get # 603 - awesome...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi HBPPG,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to get you in a room that you loved. We hope you will choose Hotel Union Square for your next stay in San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Why would I give five stars to a 3 star hotel?
Because I know what to expect in San Francisco, or for any big city, these days when you pay under $200.
My needs are simple:
1. Quiet
2. Comfortable bed
3. Hot water.
4. Wifi
5. In room coffee.

Everything else for me at this level is secondary.

I am spending more time in the City now and want to spend one night a week or so that is close to the Yard, not too expensive, has all of my five needs met and I'm a happy camper.
So far so good.
Tom the bellmen is great. Dialed into Giants, 49ers and all things Bay Area.
Lenin (as in grad) is great. Die hard Giants fan, got me in my room early and was very hospital.
Alex at the desk at graveyard was superb.

I spent the day dealing with my car shopping fiasco (see Mini of SF) and I was pissed.
I went to my first Giants game of the here and Cueto schooled us. Not fun.
THEN at midnight the tv from the directly behind my wall against my bed comes on blaring. I was working so I tuned it out.
An hour later it was still blaring. I went downstairs, met Alex told him what was up. He knocked on the door and called the room - no answer. Passed out or gone. So i tried to sleep for 15-20 mins but could't. Pounded on the door and still no answer.
Alex offered me a new room @ 2 in the morning and I took it. And Right after I packed my stuff and was leaving guess who was arriving? Yup. Free Willie herself. This 250lb chick who has gone out for Mickey D's and returned with what must have been one of everything from the menu. Not including the salad.

What came out of my mouth was a day's worth of anger and frustration in about 15 seconds as I tried to squeeze by her in the hallway.

I went upstairs to my new room and slept happily ever after for 9 hours.

The end.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear PetalumaRiverRat,

Thank you for sharing what made your stay with us so special. It is very important for us to know what makes our guests happy. We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to San Francisco.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Let me start by saying if you want a central location in San Fransisco, this is it. The staff are VERY friendly and helpful. Tad's next door for breakfast was great. Other than that, do not expect much more. The room I was in was left not dusted or wiped down, carpet was coming up, wad of hair behind toilet and sticky substance running down wall near sink area. Also a huge red stain on the bed base and running onto carpet. The rooms are dreary and the hallways are depressing.I did not complain however, I was only there one night so it was what it was. Would not stay again. If my room had at least been a clean one, I would stay again... Possibly

• Stayed: June 2014
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Missy0096,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to find out that our hotel did not meet your expectations. It is unfortunate to hear that your stay was unpleasant do to the cleanliness of your room. I can assure you that these issues will be discussed with our staff to prevent this from happening again. I truly hope this doesn't affect any future visits as we would love to have you back and change your mind about our hotel. Feel free to contact me directly before your return and we will guarantee a more comfortable stay. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

Lennin B. Ledesma
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2014

If you want to stay somewhere central in San Francisco without breaking the budget this is the place to go. The staff were very helpful and friendly from start to finish and the location couldn't be better for exploring the city. The room was small but comfortable and despite being in the heart of Union Square it was surprisingly quiet and peaceful too. My only critique is that the decor was a bit run down and rough round the edges (cracked wallpaper, chipped tiles in the bathroom) but this was a small compromise

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SunSuse,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Union Square. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the location and staff. We hope to see you again on your next trip to San Francisco.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel wins on it's location if you want to be central, but the rooms are dark, stuffy and cramped.

Our first room had a flooded bathroom, we moved and the second was fine but incredibly dark with no air con. Staff are very pleasant but overall it's fairly basic and tired. Wi-fi is also hit and miss.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. I do sincerely apologize that we weren't able to meet your expectations. We do offer a variety of room types, and would be more than happy to find one that works for you on your next visit to San Francisco. We are always looking for new ways to improve our hotel and can only do so with our guest's feedback. I hope that you consider returning to our hotel next time you are in San Francisco.

Regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is at the foot of Powell Street in an excellent location. Close to shops, restaurants, bars and the Cable Car route. Rooms are not luxurious but clean and comfortable. Hotel staff are pleasant and the Concierge's helpful. We initially stayed in a small room, 317, for two days and upon our return to San Francisco stayed in room 316 which was much more spacious and didn't cost too much more. Both rooms are close to the elevator so if you are a light sleeper you may hear the "dinging" of the elevator during the night as people leave to catch flights. Both rooms face another wing of the hotel so minimal light comes but we were fine with that. The other alternative would be a room facing the street which would provide more light but traffic noise may bother some. A trade off. Complimentary coffee in the morning and wine in the evenings were a nice touch. Good hotel to stay in for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: See comments in my review about room selection.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Al W
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hi AI W,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Union Square. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the convenient location. We hope to see you again during your next visit to San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is in a central location, close to Union Square and Market Street. Also in dintroni plenty of shops and restaurants! The rooms are not very big but clean and in style 50 years. Private parking with a small fee.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Hi Alessio,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review and share it with other travelers. It is very important for us to know what made your experience so special. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning for your next trip to San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best Regards