Hotel Union Square
MysticHotel.com
US$374
US$222
  • Pool
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$235
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$278
US$242
Omni Hotels
  • Room Service
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$262
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$534
US$207
Westin.com
  • Room Service
1,953 results
All reviewscable cargreat locationunion squareboutique hotelpowell stbart stationcomplimentary winewine receptionwine hourstreet sidestreet noiseheart of san franciscojunior suitelight sleeperrooms are smallmoscone centermarket street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Not having an idea of the area for our first visit to San Fran, we made a good choice by staying at this location. The location was perfect.....in the midst of the cable car turnaround which is literally a few steps outside of the hotel entrance, in walking distance from Macy's, and that area as well.

Walls are a bit thin, but it was quiet when I needed it to be. Hallway was dark and elevator was slow. Furniture was a bit dated. No scenery in the room. We enjoyed our stay in spite of those items.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erica A
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here last week for vacation. The location is fantastic. It is easy to get to the hotel from the airport on BART for about $8 each way. It is easy to get to the major bus lines and cable cars. I recommend the location.

The staff was really friendly and accommodating.

The room was small and older, but exactly what you'd expect for the location. it was clean and the bed was comfortable. There were not a lot of fancy amenities, but I got a great deal on the price. I didn't expect anything fancy. We did request a mini-fridge for our room, and they brought that right over to us.

Room Tip: We chose a sleep and soak room which had no windows but had a soaker tub. In hindsight, I'd have chosen a room with windows for a little more air circulation. The room was warm the first night until we managed to work out the air system and the fan. The tub wasn't useful for us. I am six foot tall, and so is my husband. He's also really broad. The tub didn't really accommodate us. It was clean, and wouldn't hesitate to use it if my legs were a bit shorter. If you are a bit under six foot and of a normal frame, the soaker tub would be fine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smyrnagirl
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My second visit at the Hotel Union Square was amazing again!
I booked an Executive King Room maybe to get a better room which is maybe Street Facing and bright. Unfortunately, the room we get in the first place was very dark and we looked at the courtyard in the middle of the hotel. We just saw the other rooms on the other side and the Air-Conditioning System in between.
But after a short discussion with the Hotel Stuff we were able to change the room after one night in the first one. We had then a great room with 3 windows all facing Powell Street. It was just awesome! The hotel has also a new Lobby with great lighting and colors.

Room Tip: Try getting a room Street Facing - we had first Room # 210 (terrible) Then we get # 603 - awesome!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi HBPPG,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to get you in a room that you loved. We hope you will choose Hotel Union Square for your next stay in San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Megan Brandt
Guest Relations

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Why would I give five stars to a 3 star hotel?
Because I know what to expect in San Francisco, or for any big city, these days when you pay under $200.
My needs are simple:
1. Quiet
2. Comfortable bed
3. Hot water.
4. Wifi
5. In room coffee.

Everything else for me at this level is secondary.

I am spending more time in the City now and want to spend one night a week or so that is close to the Yard, not too expensive, has all of my five needs met and I'm a happy camper.
So far so good.
Tom the bellmen is great. Dialed into Giants, 49ers and all things Bay Area.
Lenin (as in grad) is great. Die hard Giants fan, got me in my room early and was very hospital.
Alex at the desk at graveyard was superb.

I spent the day dealing with my car shopping fiasco (see Mini of SF) and I was pissed.
I went to my first Giants game of the here and Cueto schooled us. Not fun.
THEN at midnight the tv from the directly behind my wall against my bed comes on blaring. I was working so I tuned it out.
An hour later it was still blaring. I went downstairs, met Alex told him what was up. He knocked on the door and called the room - no answer. Passed out or gone. So i tried to sleep for 15-20 mins but could't. Pounded on the door and still no answer.
Alex offered me a new room @ 2 in the morning and I took it. And Right after I packed my stuff and was leaving guess who was arriving? Yup. Free Willie herself. This 250lb chick who has gone out for Mickey D's and returned with what must have been one of everything from the menu. Not including the salad.

What came out of my mouth was a day's worth of anger and frustration in about 15 seconds as I tried to squeeze by her in the hallway.

I went upstairs to my new room and slept happily ever after for 9 hours.

The end.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear PetalumaRiverRat,

Thank you for sharing what made your stay with us so special. It is very important for us to know what makes our guests happy. We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to San Francisco.

Kind Regards,
Megan Brandt
Guest Relations

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Let me start by saying if you want a central location in San Fransisco, this is it. The staff are VERY friendly and helpful. Tad's next door for breakfast was great. Other than that, do not expect much more. The room I was in was left not dusted or wiped down, carpet was coming up, wad of hair behind toilet and sticky substance running down wall near sink area. Also a huge red stain on the bed base and running onto carpet. The rooms are dreary and the hallways are depressing.I did not complain however, I was only there one night so it was what it was. Would not stay again. If my room had at least been a clean one, I would stay again... Possibly

• Stayed: June 2014
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Missy0096,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to find out that our hotel did not meet your expectations. It is unfortunate to hear that your stay was unpleasant do to the cleanliness of your room. I can assure you that these issues will be discussed with our staff to prevent this from happening again. I truly hope this doesn't affect any future visits as we would love to have you back and change your mind about our hotel. Feel free to contact me directly before your return and we will guarantee a more comfortable stay. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day.

Best regards,