“Excellent location, very poor reception staff who don't always tell the truth.”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #103 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Excellent location. Final room clean and comfortable. However despite booking more than six months in advance a two queen room, we were initially put in a weird kid suite( with a talking clown) and one bed. Alex on reception even lied to us and said it was an upgrade, and the hotel was full. After a heated conversation in which he again told blatant lies a room was located, that matched what we booked. Manager rang to apologise, and said they would follow up and contact us again to see if there was anything they could do or offer, this never happened. Stayed 4 nights, location excellent, good luck with the room selection and reception staff.

• Stayed July 2014
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry about the inconvenience that was caused during your stay. Rest assured the issues concerning your check-in have been addressed with my staff. If I can recall correctly, I followed up with you shortly after your check-in and apologized, I also asked if there was anything else I could do for you in which you declined. I am sorry that you had a bad stay at our hotel and hope that you would consider staying with us again.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Located in central downtown SF, just a block from the Cable Car Powell Station and the subway. is a renovated building in a modern fashion. The hotel has access to a restaurant next door (Tad´s Steakhouse) that is quite fine for breakfast and subs. There are a lot of option for other hotels in the area, but it deserves a chance just because of its location, is perfect; I give not a higher rating because compared to other hotels the Union Square is just fine, but it not pretend to be the finest one, simply be a good option for travelers that clearly stay in the hotel just for the night. The rooms are clean and well maintained, the bathroom also comfortable and the quietness is a plus, even that we were in a room facing Powell Street.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed in SF many, many times in the last 5 years. I have stayed in old hotels, new hotels, ugly hotels & beautiful hotels. I booked this room based on the pictures on the website. The rooms looked very "hip" and modernized considering the building is almost 100 years old. I figured since i was taking my girlfriend for her first trip to SF, this would be a very pleasant place to stay. I even booked the "sleep and soak" room, thinking it was the nicer of the room options. and considering I paid over $400 for 2 nights. Upon arriving, the lobby was very nice and "hip" as the photos suggested. We were assigned room 619, but before we entered the elevator, the concierge stopped us and told us he was going to give us room with a better air conditioner (623). When we finally made it to our room, we were surprised to see that the room was very small and had NO windows to the outside world, at all. Going to the Bathroom was another problem. The neat looking sliding glass doors would not stay closed. which made for a very uncomfortable time when trying to privately "do our business". There was a very sharp towel rack in the very small tub/shower. We both continuously scrapped our backs, arms and shoulders on while trying to take a shower. We both have the cuts to take home as souvenirs. The bed seemed as though it was as old as the building itself, VERY VERY uncomfortable. I dont often have trouble sleeping or wake up with back pain. but the first night, i barely slept since the bed was so uncomfortable. The second night I was able to sleep only because i was so tired from not sleeping the night before. but woke up with terrible back pain that lasted the rest of my trip and make for an extremely uncomfortable 8 hour drive home. I had to have my key re programmed 2 times in the 2 days we stayed there because it stopped working on my door, which was very frustrating because we had to go all the way back to the lobby after long days of walking the city when all we wanted to do was lay down and rest. All in all, I am very dissatisfied with this hotel. I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cavz903
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadivsor. I am truly sorry about the stay that you had hear at our hotel. I've taken note all of the issues in which were mentioned and had our maintenance department follow up on everything. I wish you had contacted the desk during your stay to voice your concerns so that we were able to move you into a different room. Once again I apologize for everything and hope that you change your mind about our hotel.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is right in the middle of Union Square. It is an older boutique hotel with unique design and style. The staff was wonderful, the room exceptionally clean, and is located in the middle of shops and restaurants. There is a wine reception every evening and a coffee/tea bar in the mornings. One downside is the parking. It gets very crowded and difficult to maneuver during heavy pedestrian traffic. We come to San Francisco frequently and will definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 14bekah
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great location in San Francisco if you want to go shopping and see tourist attractions. Powell St station was less than a 5min walk and the bus stop for the "hop on, hop off" tours were literally around the corner! The rooms are spacious and decor is modern with an old school twist. Staff were friendly and helpful however, when we had to leave our bags in the hotel until our airport shuttle came to pick us up, the door guy was not happy. We had 7 suitcases and a few smaller bags between 3 people. We were travelling back home to Australia so baggage allowance is a lot more generous. I understand if he was stressed out but at the same token, this is a hotel and people leave their bags ALL THE TIME. I felt like he wanted me to get out of his hair and to be honest, I was scared to even bring the rest of my bags down because I didn't want to piss him off!

I would stay here again but maybe next time, I'll bring fewer bags...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Whitney C
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hi Whitney C.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thourough review to share with other travelers. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the central location and accessibility of Hotel Union Square. Our warmest apologies for the lack of attendance to your many bags - we will be sure to address this on our end. Glad to know that you were happy overall and we hope to see you on your next trip to San Francisco!

Best,
Dana Andrews
Guest Relations
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel has an amazing location. It is right in the heart of Union Square. Perfect for those who want to shop with lots of stores and malls. For those who want food take your pick of restaurants there's something for everyone in walking distance. The trolley is a mere stones throw away. The hotel staff is extremely knowledgeable and can pretty much answer any question you have. I'm going back to San Fran. In April and I will defiantely be staying here again. It's in the heart of union square so if your looking for peaceful and quiet then this is not the hotel for you. You can hear the city around you and all the activity and that's one reason I liked it. Also on a side note be sure to book your Alcatraz tour before you leave home or you won't be able to visit it. It sells out quickly. If you want to do a wine county tour we did muir woods then 2 Napa valley winery's and one Sonoma winery. We had lunch in the square in Sonoma we booked thru all San Francisco tours our guides name was Andy and he was awesome.

• Stayed August 2014
Hi Traveller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive and thorough review to share with others. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, the centrality of the hotel, and all the amazing experiences this city has to offer! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to SF in April.

Warm Regards,
Dana Andrews
Guest Relations
Virginia
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The location is great! And the price is ok. We got a small room, the bathromm was a good size with a great shower. I think this room was not remodelled, it smelled a bit of mold and we could see it on the bathroom walls-not to bad. We kept the window open, and we only slept there. Was a big closet, would have been great with some light in there! Our biggest complain was that our neighboor was snoring so loud that he kept us awake....inother words-not very sound proof! We where out exploring most of the days, so for just a place to sleep it is ok.
The staff was nice and friendly and the valet parking was convenient.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sigrun65
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel on trip advisor. We are truly sorry about the room that you received during your stay here at Hotel Union Square. I hope that you contacted the front desk during your stay as we would have been more than happy to accommodate you with a different room. I promise to address this with our housekeeping team and follow up with the issues you've brought to our attention. I hope this doesn't affect you returning to our hotel in the future, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you have.