“Great location ”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #98 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Staff friendly upon arrival and throughout the 4 night stay. Location of hotel is perfect:close to shopping, union square, walking distance to fishermans wharf, trams and bike rentals etc.
the room itself was quite dark and not very spacious and could have been cleaner. However the location outweighed the room itself

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for posting a review about our hotel on trip advisor, we value your feedback! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. I apologize about the cleanliness of your room and promise to address this with our housekeeping department. I truly hope this does not affect your return to our hotel. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Union Square Hotel is ideally situated, close to shopping, transportation (BART, MUNI and streetcars) and, of course, Union Square.

Our room was MASSIVE, and quite comfortable. The decor is quite charming, befitting a boutique hotel. The bed was wonderful, and our room was quite quiet. (Our view was not spectacular, but this also probably helped in the quietness of our room). The bathroom was also very large, but the shower head was set quite low and we couldn't figure out if it was adjustable for my partner (who is 6' tall). The motion-sensor lights in the bathroom are quite handy. They do tend to go out if you're in the shower for a few minutes, but a quick wave fixes that no problem.

Wifi was strong, and is free for as any devices as you need. The mini-fridge in the room was also a nice touch for keeping drinks/snacks cool. The complimentary lobby wine was a nice touch as well. Overall, a great experience - would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Judging from other travellers' reviews, the size of rooms vary greatly. It may not hurt to requ...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corey Q
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Corey Q.,

Thank You for staying with us at Hotel Union Square! We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the centrality, room size, design, and amenities of our hotel. We hope you think of us next time you travel to San Francisco!

Warm Regards,
Dana Andrews
Guest Relations

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The room we got was tiny, the bathroom was the smallest ever, so my husband who is 195cm tall had difficulty using the shower... It was also very noisy, the building is very old, so the window didn't shut properly so since it was the middle of winter, it made our stay and sleep more that uncomfortable.....
Will not stay in this hotel again, there are plenty more to choose from in the area.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed to hear that you disliked the room that you were given. I promise to address the issues in which you've mentioned with our maintenance department. I truly hope you changed your mind about staying at our hotel. We have a variety of room types and would be more than happy to find one that works for you.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I am currently staying here and dissatisfied with the room I got. Paid $234 a night and got a small room, with the sink separated from the bathroom. They didn't have a closet nor did they have a iron board OR a fridge. I had to request all of this when I got here. The only thing they had was a comfortable bed. This place sucks - save your money and go to Westin or Hilton up the street.

Oh yeah, the view is horrible. It's another building 5 feet away.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe P
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I am sorry that the room in which you received did not meet your expectations. Had we been made aware of your dissatisfaction we would have done our best to find a different category for you. We hope you change your mind about our hotel and give us a second chance to make things right.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Excellent location. Final room clean and comfortable. However despite booking more than six months in advance a two queen room, we were initially put in a weird kid suite( with a talking clown) and one bed. Alex on reception even lied to us and said it was an upgrade, and the hotel was full. After a heated conversation in which he again told blatant lies a room was located, that matched what we booked. Manager rang to apologise, and said they would follow up and contact us again to see if there was anything they could do or offer, this never happened. Stayed 4 nights, location excellent, good luck with the room selection and reception staff.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry about the inconvenience that was caused during your stay. Rest assured the issues concerning your check-in have been addressed with my staff. If I can recall correctly, I followed up with you shortly after your check-in and apologized, I also asked if there was anything else I could do for you in which you declined. I am sorry that you had a bad stay at our hotel and hope that you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Located in central downtown SF, just a block from the Cable Car Powell Station and the subway. is a renovated building in a modern fashion. The hotel has access to a restaurant next door (Tad´s Steakhouse) that is quite fine for breakfast and subs. There are a lot of option for other hotels in the area, but it deserves a chance just because of its location, is perfect; I give not a higher rating because compared to other hotels the Union Square is just fine, but it not pretend to be the finest one, simply be a good option for travelers that clearly stay in the hotel just for the night. The rooms are clean and well maintained, the bathroom also comfortable and the quietness is a plus, even that we were in a room facing Powell Street.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed in SF many, many times in the last 5 years. I have stayed in old hotels, new hotels, ugly hotels & beautiful hotels. I booked this room based on the pictures on the website. The rooms looked very "hip" and modernized considering the building is almost 100 years old. I figured since i was taking my girlfriend for her first trip to SF, this would be a very pleasant place to stay. I even booked the "sleep and soak" room, thinking it was the nicer of the room options. and considering I paid over $400 for 2 nights. Upon arriving, the lobby was very nice and "hip" as the photos suggested. We were assigned room 619, but before we entered the elevator, the concierge stopped us and told us he was going to give us room with a better air conditioner (623). When we finally made it to our room, we were surprised to see that the room was very small and had NO windows to the outside world, at all. Going to the Bathroom was another problem. The neat looking sliding glass doors would not stay closed. which made for a very uncomfortable time when trying to privately "do our business". There was a very sharp towel rack in the very small tub/shower. We both continuously scrapped our backs, arms and shoulders on while trying to take a shower. We both have the cuts to take home as souvenirs. The bed seemed as though it was as old as the building itself, VERY VERY uncomfortable. I dont often have trouble sleeping or wake up with back pain. but the first night, i barely slept since the bed was so uncomfortable. The second night I was able to sleep only because i was so tired from not sleeping the night before. but woke up with terrible back pain that lasted the rest of my trip and make for an extremely uncomfortable 8 hour drive home. I had to have my key re programmed 2 times in the 2 days we stayed there because it stopped working on my door, which was very frustrating because we had to go all the way back to the lobby after long days of walking the city when all we wanted to do was lay down and rest. All in all, I am very dissatisfied with this hotel. I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cavz903

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadivsor. I am truly sorry about the stay that you had hear at our hotel. I've taken note all of the issues in which were mentioned and had our maintenance department follow up on everything. I wish you had contacted the desk during your stay to voice your concerns so that we were able to move you into a different room. Once again I apologize for everything and hope that you change your mind about our hotel.