“Great location, price and staff”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #103 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Canton, OH
“Great location, price and staff”
Reviewed 5 July 2006

We just returned from our stay at the Union Square Hotel. We were there for one night over the busy fourth of july weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect given the reviews and budget cost. I was very pleasantly surprised with what we received - courteous and friendly staff, excellent San Francisco location and a simple yet comfortable room. You can't expect the Ritz Carlton but it has lots of character. If you don't want a cookie cutter hotel but want something with history and charm, I would definitely stay at the Union Square Hotel. There are tons of restaurants nearby, who needs air conditioning it's San Francisco, and wireless internet throughout the hotel makes it easy to stay connected. This hotel is no more noisy than any other. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank mchavs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Hebrew first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 June 2006

This hotel has many cute features and their parking lot, once you find it, is convenient HOWEVER this hotel has many difficulties to overcome and I simply cannot recommend it. First, I requested a quiet room at booking but at check in was told the quiet rooms were unavailable. The hotel upgraded me to a larger room on a higher floor but it was still unbearably noisy. I couldn't sleep until after 3 am due to the cable cars, buses, foot traffic, trash pick-up, etc. The upgraded room wasn't much of a consolation, either. The bathroom was tiny and not nice and in general, the room was poorly remodeled. On top of all of this, there is not air conditioning. Sure, in San Francisco you can open the window and things cool down....but not when your room faces Powell street and you want to sleep!! The staff was friendly and I like the interior brick walls, but it just isn't worth the lack of sleep, the hot room and the ugly bathroom.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Wolfesaroundtheworld
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 May 2006

I was surprised by the Union Square Hotel. I knew that it would be in a good location (right on Powell Street, just a block up from where the trolleys are turned around and sent back up), right off Union Square, and in the heart of the shopping and tourist district of San Francisco.

I figured for the price I was paying, and given the location, that something would have to give. Actually, my room, though small, was fine. The bed was good and the hotel offered free wireless internet, which I thought was awesome. There was even a nice gift bag in the bathroom with toothpaste, a granola bar, hand cream, and other nice touches.

This is a good hotel with great value for the money. It's not the nicest place I've ever been to, but it's got a great location, the service is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are just fine.

I would definitely stay here again, and have recommended it to other people who want a reasonably priced hotel in San Francisco.

• Stayed April 2006
16 Thank Foddye
Ontario
Reviewed 7 April 2006

Cab from airport to our hotel cost $45.00 US. We stayed here on March 18 and checked out on the 20th, 2006. Unique place, clean, great staff and service. William was very helpful for the do's and don'ts. Paid $129.00/night. Room: 217 off the elevators. Quiet. Our room was a little stuffy but spotless. Double bed, no safe but they have one at the front desk for you to leave anything valuable, ceiling fan, walk in closet with iron/board, shower (small washroom), nice toiletries and hair dryer. Ice machine is on the 3rd floor. Great location, walking distance to everything. No AC but the weather was not hot so it was comfortable. On the 2nd floor from 07 - 10 in a.m. you can have complimentry coffee/tea. The Bailey's we added was just right. Hop on the cable car outside and go where your hearts desire. We walked up Powell and came across a huge Anti "Iraq" war demonstration. The crowds were amazing but controlled. Showing strong support against war. Cost cable car is $5.00 US one way, day pass $11.00 US, 3 day pass ? can't remember. Toured as much as we could before we had to board our ship. Ate down at the Fisherman's Wharf (Neptunes Palace) for a lovely meal with a great view of Alcatraz at night. Pier 39 is awesome. You will be serenade by the sea lions. They are very comical to watch. Also ate from one of the fish markets for great fish and chips down on the wharf. So much selection from shopping, restaurants and things to do. Great steak at Tad's and Lori Diner had a good burger; located on Powell. Did not get to the Stinky Rose which is great if you love garlic? Be sure to book Alcatraz on line to guarantee your tickets; depart pier 41. We booked online with Blue and Gold Fleet; Audio tour $16.00 boat/tour(audio)/return. At the pier there was a standby list for those who took the chance to get tickets at the last minute. Some people were lucky and got on but not the others. No restaurants on Alcatraz. Nice gift shop with reasonable prices. So much to do in SF that we did not have a chance to do and will someday return. We would stay at the Hotel Union Square again. They didn't have a minimun stay of 3 so it worked out well for us, especially on a weekend. Have a great time in San Francisco.

15 Thank ICU/ERnurse
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 March 2006

Spent 3 days, 2 nights at the Union Square Hotel and absolutely loved it. We got a great deal through the reservation line ($79/night) and later found out that there was a huge convention in town, and that we were incredibly lucky to get a room at all, let alone such a great rate.

The location is unbeatable - we took the cable car from our hotel direct to Ghirardelli Square in less than 15 minutes. Within walking distance of fantastic restaurants, shopping, and San Francisco sightseeing.

We had heard about noise complaints, so we asked for a courtyard view room and it was completely silent. The room was small by American hotel standards, but we really didn't spend too much time in the room and it was more than adequate.

I have stayed in all the major upscale hotel chains across the country, and by no means is this hotel meant to compete - but if you're looking for an affordable, clean, well-maintained hotel in a great location, this is the hotel for you.

One last thing - the staff was one of the nicest I've ever experienced, and this includes all my stays at nicer, more upscale hotels. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 27 March 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in March. We picked this hotel because of price and great proximity to all sorts of transportation. The hotel is right on the Powell Cable Car line, and just a block from the BART and a ton of bus options.

The rooms were cute, small, but just roomy enough. The decor is very vivid and totally fitting for this boutique hotel. The double beds in the room were really quite comfortable, although the water pressure in the shower could have been better.

Tom, the hotels concierge is a true gem! He laid out what transportation routes would best fit our travel plans and gave us some great tips on what to see. His personal service was unlike any other I have ever received!

Overall, I would certainly stay here again. Price and location were perfect, right in the heart of Union Sqaure.

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank JennandRob
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 March 2006

I loved staying at Hotel Union Square. The hotel rooms are darling--GREAT style! The staff was very friendly--a big help pointing me in the direction of fun things to do in the city. The location is excellent--right in the heart of Union Square. I will definitely return, again and again.

• Stayed February 2006