“terrible place!!!!”

Verona
Verona
Ranked #219 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 24 May 2008

It is one of the worst hotel I have ever seen ! it is very dirty and it is in a very dangerous area... do not ever go there!

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled with family
4  Thank TomandRascal

Reviewed 2 February 2008

We book a hotel 2 days before we went to San Francisco on the last minute, and we were surprised on the location. The room are small, I dropped something and rolled under the bed and I found something else, I think that room was never been dusted. we could not sleep that night, because people outside we're talking very loud. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank CaliforniaSnowBuddy
Reviewed 21 October 2007

Had a fantasic stay here. It's not the Ritz, but it's very centrally located within easy reach of everything. The homeless people are around, but we had no problems. In fact, when slimming down my contents of my suitcase a pair of my pants flew out the hotel window, and ended up on the flag pole! So the hotel Verona had an American flag, a British flag and a pair of my pants on show! The pants then slipped to the floor and a homeless person picked them up and carted them off!

It was very entertaining watching the drama unfold in the evening on the street! I would honestly recommend this place to anyone, just open your mind, and see something new, and if nothing else, you will return home grateful for what you have in life.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled with family
3  Thank bernardingam100
Reviewed 16 October 2007

The room was very tiny, and very out of date. The TV only got about 4 channels and the windows were covering in bird poop. The view from the window was creepy...an alley with a fire ecsape and some wigs and clothes hanging off some wiring. Not to mention it was located in the scariest part of the city. It was so nasty, I didn't even want to shower in the bathroom or sleep in the bed. I slept on top of the blankets and didnt sit on the toliet seat in fear contracting something. AND they make you sign a contract when you check in saying that if anything is stolen, they can't be held responsible. I don't ever remember signing anything like that in the past when I've stayed at a hotel. Something positive? I attended a kick [--] Gwar concert. Something positive about the HOTEL?....I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't suggest anyone to stay there...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nichollex3
Reviewed 24 August 2007

I stayed alone at Verona for 5 days during my conference visit in Hyatt Regency, Embarcadero St. The hotel has a fantastic transportation convenience, that there is a Bart station in front of the hotel. The area there however was not very noisy. I was a bit nervous and scared at my first day there because of the amount of homeless people over there. However, during my remaining 4 days stay, i was used to it. The big tip is not to care about any of the homeless people. They would ask u for money, u can just ignore them and nothing bad would happen. By seeing this fact, I think it is quite a peaceful street to live in.

In terms of service and facility of the hotel, they have a tv set and an attached bathroom in my hotel room. Nothing is particularly unpleasant. They also provide free breakfast every 7am to 9am. However, the breakfast is limited to 1 donut per person and with free flow of coffee.

So, I would recommend this hotel for you, if you want a nice and cheap (around $58 per night) hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank JobsOdell
Reviewed 3 August 2007

Booked through an agency at last minute, what a mistake. If only I had read some reviews from 'TripAdvisor' first!

I was travelling from London on way to NZ.. The driver of the San Fran taxi asked me 'how did you choose this place?' And when I asked him why, he just said... don't go walking around at night!

I was a tad concerned. But on arriving at 1.30am I was even more concerned at the area I was in. Thought that I would be OK as it was only 3 blocks from Union Square. How wrong I was then, too.

The entrance was dark, dull and dirty.
The lift was old and rickety.
The corridor and room smelt of dried urine.
The room itself was dirty, though sheets were clean.
Stains on the floor in bathroom.
Towels and shower clean, though shower curtain left a lot to be desired.
Small spiders came out of the overflow hole in hand-basin.
TV didn't work very well. -
I was told that building is being upgraded

Breakfast !! well, sweet doughnuts were in a cardboard box on the hotel lobby desk, and some hot coffee & water was also availalbe down there.

Outside there were many people wandering around drinking, with some sleeping on the street while others were selling items until 5am - 6am each morning. Outside the Hotel, there were people having mini-fights and yelling to each other all night - this was along all the streets nearby so it was very noisy even with bedroom window shut.
In the day-time groups of men were blocking footpaths, needing me to either walk through them or go onto the road amongst traffic. Most of these people were drinking or had difficulty walking.

A feeling of being unsafe was strong, but I did stay as I had pre-paid. Such a shame as it has now added to my dissatisfaction about being in the USA..... I will not come again.

I will not use that internet accommodation agency again - and will send them a report, too.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank RosaDay
Reviewed 18 May 2007

My job requires me to travel all over the country, and have stayed at many hotels (some good and some bad). I decided to go to a travel website and saw Verona for only 35$ a night but when i got there i found out why it was so cheap. There are drug addicts all around and very sketchy people. I saw one smoking a crack pipe right in front of the hotel, and i saw another getting frisked by an undercover cop. When i parked right in front by a meter, a homeless man knocked on my window and asked me if i needed any "aids" refering to drugs. Another lady was right in front swigging down a cheap bottle of vodka at noon. I checked in to the hotel around that time, and when i did the desk clerk wanted to charge me 35$ (the same price of the hotel) to park my car. I talked her down to 10$. I then went up the creaky elevator from 1920 saw my room with a stained comforter and tv that didnt work, and basically checked out right then. I checked in at noon and checked out a half hour later. I can honestly say you will not feel safe at this hotel and even though its cheap I wouldnt risk my safety for a few bucks. Worst Hotel Ever!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business