“Splendid”

Executive Hotel Vintage Court
Ranked #98 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I feel as if I lose 'man points' by using the word "Splendid." But that's really the only word I can use to describe the Executive Vintage Court. I brought my wife to San Francisco for 5 days and we loved our stay. I'll break this down for you and hope to keep it short and sweet.

LOCATION: This place is right downtown above Union Square. Chinatown is a block away and the cable cars are one street away. Downtown is also a short walking distance. Just be prepared for the hills!

HOTEL & ROOMS: Check-in was nice and easy. Hotel staff couldn't be any friendlier and more professional. They told us good places to eat, even set us up with a wine tour to Napa and Sonoma Valley which I highly recommend you do while here. The rooms are somewhat small, but it served it's purpose and ours was clean and very well kept. The beds were comfortable, and yes--there was a hint of that old musty smell, but keep in mind, this hotel was probably built before you were born (yes, even you old timer) so just keep that in mind. It's an old boutique style hotel. If you want a new modern hotel, I'm sure you can find one around the neighborhood for triple the price. My only complaint with the room is that the shower is quite small for taller gentlemen--other than that, it was great.

WINE RECEPTION: This was great and they do this reception every night. We went down in the lobby and they poured us a glass of wine. We took a seat, and mingled with a friendly couple from Scotland. As we were conversing, the host walked around several times and filled our glasses. Needless to say I was somewhat hammered by the end of the reception. We only attended this twice as we were busy with other activities around the city, but definitely a bonus to the hotel.

SERVICE: Outstanding as mentioned above. Friendly reception, easy check in, exemplary maid service.

I loved this hotel and will definitely be the place I stay in when I come back to San Francisco--hopefully within the next 6 months.

TIP ON THE CABLE CARS: They will take you all the way down to the Wharf and back. Literally one street away. DO NOT pay the $5 dollar fare each way. Walk up the street, then down the hill and you will find the Walgreens. Go to the 'Makeup' counter and ask for a MUNI pass. It's like $18 bucks for a 4 day unlimited pass. They have 7 day passes too if you prefer. Riding the cable cars is fun, but they are very packed most of the time. Take a short walk down to Union Square and jump on there. Otherwise, especially on the weekends, you'll be waiting and waiting for a cable car to jump on because they will most likely be packed full.

3  Thank Erik S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed 21 November 2009

My daughter and I were in town for three days to find an apartment for her. We wanted to be near Union Square but didn't want to spend a lot of money. I chose this hotel after reading the reviews and was expecting an old, musty hotel. We were pleasantly surprised to find the hotel very well maintained, perfectly located and although there was a bit of old wood smell, what can you expect? It's an old hotel. The bed was very comfortable; the bathroom was clean; the continental breakfast left a bit to be desired, but all we wanted was coffee anyway. I have just booked a second stay for a friend and would recommend to any one wanting to be near everything without spending a lot of money

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank mstringer
Reviewed 20 November 2009

We arrived at this hotel, everything pleasant as to be expected but upon arriving to the room was greeted by a nasty musty smell. I had expected this as read in previous reviews so didnt complaned and opened the windows to air the place out. The next day (after the smell had gone away) the room was serviced and the smell had returned. The smell was like a musty/barn type smell, im not sure what they did but whatever they are doing really needs to stop. After this we didnt have our room made up for the rest of our trip which was a little annoying as we didnt want the awful smell to return. All in all the loaction was great, just down the road from union square and the concierge was hospitable. The only thing to watch out for is to not let the concierge call you a cab, instead of a couple buck tip, he demanded (or had a scam) $10 from the taxi driver which the taxi driver then tried to collect from us at the end of our trip which we blatently refused. Besides, there are plenty of taxis going down the street at any time of day. If only for the bad smell and the dodgy concierge this hotel would have gotten better reviews as eveything else was quite 4 star, but unfortunately not.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Stayed at the vintage court for 4 nights on a recent trip to san francisco. First there was the 20+ minute wait to check in, as there was one guy working front desk and a lineup waiting (we were the first in line, so that would give you some sort of an idea). The elevator also broke down basically the second we checked in. Our room was great, if you're the kind of person who likes to see hair everywhere. You could stretch out your arms and pretty much touch each wall. The door would potentially hit the night table, bed, and desk chair upon one opening motion. The walls were paper thin, and it sounded like elephants were staying above us. The room was gross, and obviously cleaned in a hurry since no counters were wiped down and every corner of the room was grotesque. And yes, to emphasize the hair everywhere, it was really disgusting. I wanted to check in to a different hotel before even unpacking my bags. Oh, and note also that there is NO BREAKFAST! Both the website and the promo outside of the hotel advertise continental breakfast but there is none!! The location was admittedly somewhat convenient, being a couple blocks from union square. But go the other way up the street, and you'll end up walking past a nude male club. All in all, I will not be staying here again. Do NOT settle for less!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2009

My partner suprised me with a 7 day trip to San Francisco. We stayed at the Executive Hotel Vintage Court and like other reviews, it doesnt look much from the outside.
The interior is gorgeous and very cosy and the staff were tremendously helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them.
We stayed in an executive room on the front of the hotel and the only downside to this is you do get alot of noise from the street - ie street sweepers etc - but this didnt matter to us as we were up and about early to take in as much of the city as we could.
Location is perfect. Its right next door to Chinatown, literally a 2 minute walk to the nearest cable cars and less than 5 mins walk to Union Square.
I dont need to go on about the sights etc in San Fran - this review is simply for the hotel - which in my view was amazing. It is only a 3* and having stayed in the 5* Sheraton in New York you'd think a 3* would be much less comparible.
The rooms were cleaned every day, clean towels daily and bath robes for us to wear. The television had a mass of available channels for us to have on in the background whilst getting ready and a fully stocked mini bar incuding snacks which was great if you got the late night munchies!
I whould happily recommend this hotel to anyone and if I ever go back to San Fran, I wouldnt hesitate to stay there again.

1  Thank Wannabe1day
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Just got back from staying at the Executive Hotel Vintage Court. Me & my partner stayed there for 10 nights and I can highly recommend it. The location is good - very close to Union Square (which is central in San Francisco). The hotel doesn't look spectacular from the outside, but inside it's great. It has a wonderful cosy lounge with really comfy settees and chairs and a gorgeous decor based on a 'winery' theme. Lovely paintings in the lounge of vintage wine and stuff. There was a log fire blazing in the lounge every day we were there, and it always felt really cozy. In the lounge area is also a computer where you can access the internet (for a fee). In the mornings in the lounge, the hotel serves delicious complimentary danish pastries, muffins and coffee and tea. In the evening between 5-6pm they service complimentary red and white wine. The hotel staff are always really helpful and friendly too. They would always immediately try to deal with any queries or anything we wanted. We stayed on the 7th floor in the room called Davis Bynum Winery. (Every room has a nameplate on the door and every room is named after a winery!) The room was very comfortable - really good comfortable bed and pillows, nice warm radiator, aircon if it got too hot, flat screen TV, ironing board, comfy chair and ensuite bathroom with a good hot shower. The maid comes every day to make up the room so it always looks clean and tidy. They also provide complementary toiletries and there is a good hairdryer in the bathroom. The only downside I suppose it that we didn't have any view from our hotel window - it just looked out on to the backs of some quite ugly backdoor buildings - not onto the street at all. But we didn't really care. I really like the location of this hotel too. It was only a 7 or 8 minute walk to Union Square, where Macy's and other shops are. About 4 minutes from the hotel is a really good book shop called Borders that is open until 11pm and has a really good coffee shop upstairs. They don't mind you borrowing books to read while you have your coffee and pumpkin bread etc. There are also Starbucks in the vicinity and a really fantastic diner called Lori's Diner that serves wonderful food at very reasonable prices. We are vegetarians and thought we would have trouble eating in the diner, but they serve lovely vegan salads and other really nice veggie food. Really good - I can highly recommend this place. Also in this same street, about a minute from the hotel is the cable car stop. This takes you right into downtown or in the other direction to Fisherman's Wharf - where all the adorable sea lions live on Pier 39. I'd advise you to get a travel pass asap though, because the transport can get pricey and you have to use it alot as the hills are enough to beat anyone. We got a 7-day pass for $24 dollars. We could use this as much as we liked. If we hadn't had this, a one-way journey on the cable car would have been $5 a time, and other public transport about $2. So it really saved us loads of money. Well I hope you like my review. I could waffle on about how great San Fran is forever, and I can highly recommend this hotel and will certainly stay there again next time I visit this city.

1  Thank Paula0000
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Good location but in need of modernisation. Plumbing was noisy, as was the dustmen every morning at 5.30. Ask for a high floor away from the street front.
The best thing was the wine reception, plenty for everybody and a knowledgable member of staff to explain them. Dont expect a big breakfast as its only a coffee and a cake.