“Excellent and very cool”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #67 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We loved all the W experience. It's my 4th time staying with w ant I love it.
The rooms are cool and cozy. Bathrooms are very good with nice amenities
The service was great. The concierge is there to provide with all your needs, even if he has to go all over to help you he does. Front desk also great.
Perfectly located. Around the corner from MOMA, and in front of the Yerba buena complex.
Parking sisterm works well, a little expensive, but. San Francisco parking is not
Cheap. Walking distance from union square an chinatown , without being inside the noise there
Highly recommend. Will stay there next time in SF

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karu256
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

I am so glad to hear you loved your stay! It is always a pleasure to know that we have earned repeat business, thank you for loyalty!

I enjoy our location in SOMA as well, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Brad W

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Recently stayed on July 4th at the W in SF for one night/two days and had a great experience. Wanted to step it up a bit so secured a few nights at the St. Regis next door for the rest of our trip.

The W Hotel is in close proximity to two BART stations so it was easy to walk to/from Market Street. As Gold Preferred Guests, we were upgraded to a Cool Corner Suite; check in was easy and very professional as expected.

We especially enjoyed the free MDX service which shuttled us within a four mile radius of the hotel. Our driver, Ky, was top notch... very friendly, personable, and knowledgeable of the city as well as some hot spots in Napa/Yountville. We very much appreciated his hospitality the two days we were there - he went out of his way to ensure we were taken care of. Carla, the supervisor for the MDX service, was also very nice and approachable (unlike the gentlemen who was managing the reservations on the 4th... a bit grumpy and not customer service oriented; may just a bad day).

Overall, we had a wonderful experience and will return the next time we visit the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed for a night at this hotel for my birthday and it is by far the Best hotel stay in my life and will surely be talked about for days!
CUSTOMER SERVICE - Excellent! I was in contact with Kristi Blecha before the date of my check-in and she went above an beyond to make my birthday evening an unforgettable experience! The staff are very personable and accommodating. Little things like mentioning your name when they pickup the phone at the front desk made my experience very personal. Please keep up the good work!
ROOM - I put on the "Special Request" section of the reservation for a high floor but I wasn't expecting much as I got a great deal on the room rate. But, I was suprised that they were able to grant my wish! It has the most amazing view! The room is very clean and I always admire the decor!
FOOD - My friends and I had dinner at Trace, the restaurant at the hotel. The plate is properly proportioned and the price is reasonable. Everything is flavorful and we cannot stop raving how great the food is! The restaurant staff is friendly and attentive to our needs.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning to stay in San Francisco. A great hotel experience is hard to find nowadays and W San Francisco definitely got it right!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Hello, and thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I am thrilled to hear that this was the best stay of your life, that’s fantastic! Kristi is amazing, as is the rest of our Talent. The best compliments we can receive are Talent based.

I am glad you were able to eat at TRACE, and enjoyed the meal.

It sounds like you loved the view, and I hope to welcome you back to W San Francisco soon. We really appreciate the recommendation, as word of mouth is extremely important!

Have a great day,

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed three nights at the W for my wife's birthday. They upgraded us to a corner room on the 26th floor with spectacular views to the Bay Bridge. The room was large with quality fixtures. Definitely a top hotel.
The restaurant is also very good if you aren't eating elsewhere.
A short walk away will get you to Westfield for your shopping needs and a little further to the cable cars. A tip for those wanting to catch the cable car back from the Bay at 9pm. They only leave at 15 minute intervals. It doesn't matter if there are 200 people waiting, they just leave the cable cars banked up and idle, so if there's 50 people in front of you, it's an hours wait. Take a cab.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I've have stayed in multiple hotels in San Francisco but this was my first time in the W. I was not overly impressed with the rooms, however the service was by far the best. From the moment I checked in, up until my departure I was extremely pleased with the level of service. The entire staff was super friendly and helpful. Two individuals left a lasting impression, the first was Sebastian, loved his accent but even more so his friendly demeanor, interest in what we thought of our stay and willingness to assist. The lobby lounge was very cool and we spent quite some time there hanging out. Mary provided an excellent service, friendly conversation and always made sure we were happy. I definitely will be staying there on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Decor was interesting but didn't understand the theme they were trying to convey. Wasn't a fan of the teal paint in the room.

Service was lacking upon checkout. Expected more from a hotel at this level. I waited 15-20 minutes for a luggage cart after the request. Ended up slugging our luggage down ourselves, no acknowledgement upon entering the lobby. (Usually I can't walk 5 feet in a good hotel without being relieved of my luggage). Had to hunt down the valet to hand over the ticket. (Again in other hotels usually someone is at the ready assisting guests that are leaving).

Exorbitant Pricing for Wi-Fi Internet. $14 per day per device?!? Don't nickel and dime me. It doesn't cost anymore to the hotel if I hook up 1 device or 5.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post your review. I also noticed it on our Starwood review site. We appreciate any chance to receive feedback from our guests, and make positive changes!

I love our décor, it is based on the city of San Francisco itself. The shift from varying shades of grey to white represent the fog, and the grid pattern throughout is the grid of the city. I hope you got to see the topographical map above Welcome!

I apologize that you experienced some inconveniences with the service, we are usually on top of the game in anticipating guest needs.

For your next visit, we do offer complimentary high speed wireless internet in our Living Room. I hope that next time you are in the Bay Area you stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed at the W for two nights during our weeklong trip to San Francisco. We were given a high floor as requested which was very nice. It was a pain to have to swipe our key cards every time we got on the elevator though.

The lobby/check-in/bar area is weird and funky, dark with loud music thumping from the bar. I am 43 and too old for this place I think. We visited The Living Room bar for drinks, which were outrageous. We have the same bar at the Dallas W, and are used to high drink prices, but still thought the prices over the top (i.e. $15 for a cocktail, $12 for a Jack&Coke). Unlike the bar at the Dallas W, this one was not packed, even though our stay was over the weekend.

The room was fine, with a nice shower and Bliss amenities as well as a nice sized single sink. The layout was a little weird but I kind of liked it. I thought the bed was comfortable but hubby could swear he felt feathers or something sticking out making it "bumpy." I woke up the first night with my nose burning and eyes streaming tears so I do think there is down or something in the bedding (I took a Benadryl the second night). I wore earplugs both nights but I don't believe noise was a factor.

The pool and hot tub were a joke. The pool was full of little kids and the acoustics were terrible so every scream was ear-piercing. We got in the hot tub and turned on the jets but nothing happened so we were left just sitting in a tub of hot water with splashing kids. There wasn't much seating around the pool. At the very least the hot tub should be adults-only. The pool and hot tub was a factor in choosing the W for our stay so this was disappointing. We didn't use the fitness area but it looked to be nice.

We got massages at Bliss spa and they were great, perfect for the end of our long trip. My therapist, Dennis, was great. The women and men have separate lounges, which contain tea, water, cheese and delicious brownie bites. However, the lounge area is brightly lit and a little noisy, not relaxing. Again, the hotel having a spa onsite was a factor since we chose this hotel for the end of our trip.

We had breakfast at Trace and service was very good and I had the Chilaquiles which were delicious and hubby had the french toast, with a side of sausage and juice, the bill was around $52.

The surrounding area was a bit dead. We had to walk several blocks on a Saturday afternoon to find a restaurant open or anything to do. We had spent the first part of the trip in the financial district and liked that area better.

Overall, it was just an OK stay, not a hotel I would come back to if I visit San Francisco again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Hello, and thank you staying at W San Francisco on your recent stay! I am glad you were able to experience the great views on one of our high floors.

Key card access to the elevators is one of the ways we ensure the safety and privacy of our guests. I am sorry to read about your experience with our signature W Bed, we normally get great praise on it! For future stays, we offer an amazing W Hotels pillow menu. You can relax and recharge with a variety of choices such as a body pillow, neck roll, firm foam PrimaLoft pillow or 100% goose-down feather pillow.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Bliss Spa, and the massages were great. The chilaquiles at TRACE are one of my favorite breakfast dishes as well.

I do hope you change your mind, as I know we can provide you with an outstanding stay next time you are in the San Francisco area.