“Nice hotel but average for the W chain”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #68 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a nice stay here at the W SanFranciso while I attended a big conference at the nearby Moscone conference center. Of all the nearby hotels I think it has the closest location! For that reason the place is great however I just came from a week in Asia and while there I stayed at the W Hong Kong and the W Guangzhou. When I compare to those amazing properties, the W SF is a motel in comparison. So strange that the Asian properties are fantastic while American W's are ho-hum. The lobby seemed like a happening place with lots of people hanging over drinks until I realized that it was busy cause its the only place for free wifi in the hotel. Nice trick, makes the hotel look like it has a scene.

The location was great for the conference center but also for many sites. Lots of good restaurants and excellent shopping nearby.

The room was comfortable and clean. Nicely decorated but does not reach the fit and finish of the asian properties I visited. Wifi was decently fast and free with SPG status. Power outlets easily accessible on the desk.

Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

We are in the perfect location for easy access to the conference center and many popular attractions in San Francisco. It is difficult to compare us to the W hotels in Asia. W Hotels originated in North America so the hotels are a little older.

Our Living Room is a popular spot for locals and guests alike. The cocktails are great and we do offer free wi-fi. On your next visit, reach out to our Insider Gordon. He can offer recommendations for all the best places to visit in the city.

I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

Best,
Alexa

There are newer reviews for W San Francisco

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Classy, hipster and the staff did absolutely everything I needed to set the tone for my perfect proposal...yes it's pricey for everyday people like myself, but if you are gonna splurge here's a great place to do...the lobby is more club / lounge than some club / lounges. The courtesy car was a great addition and got us to dinner one night. In San Fran? I highly recommend this place, near Union Square...

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Bay Bridge...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Hello!

Congratulations on your engagement! It was a pleasure to ensure that everything went off without a hitch. I am glad to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of everything San Francisco has to offer. I hope we can welcome you back soon!

All the best,
Alexa W.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I’ve stayed at the W several times this year and had a great experience with everyone. Three people really stood out. Nina in Revenue worked miracles to get me room during a busy week when nearly every hotel was packed. Also, Abby and Damian in the W’s Trace restaurant remembered that I was a returning guest and demonstrated great customer service during an extremely busy time. Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello!

I am glad to note your great experience! I am glad to pass your compliments along to Nina, Abby and Damian. Their service stands out time and time again. I'm glad we could get you a room and you enjoyed TRACE. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

All the best,
Alexa W.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We really don't have anything bad to say about our stay. From being able to check in early, to being able to check out late, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Though they were directly across the street from a major conference, the staff did not seem flustered in the least. Hao checked us in. He was able to let us check in early, which was definitely appreciated since we had just flown into Oakland Airport and battled public transportation with our toddler to get there. He also made sure we selected our SPG Gold member perk and reminded us about the Make a Green Choice Program (other SPG hotels have forgotten to mention this to us which results in us sometimes forgetting to put the sign out before bed). Also, when we asked for late check out, the request was quickly and easily accommodated. I honestly can't remember the last time I've encountered such great customer service. It really made the stay enjoyable.

Rooms were adequately sized and very clean. Location is very convenient for walking to the Ferry Building and Union Square.

We will definitely stay here again when we return to San Francisco!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I don't expect doors to be opened for me because I'm an ambassador member, but it would have been nice for the valet/door guys to pay attention when I walked up with my suitcase/backpack/bags in hand. I wasn't dressed in a suit like the rest of the customer base, so I was easily overlooked. This initial indication of how I could expect to be treated was irritating, especially after traveling from outside the continent.

I lowered my customer service expectations, but Ogy at the front desk turned this negative experience around. He didn't care that I was in running shoes, jeans and a hoody. He provided great customer service and is a great addition to the staff.
The excellent customer service continued at breakfast with Claudio (aka Champion). He was very friendly, and a pleasure to talk to.

The hotel is conveniently located just a short walk from the Montgomery BART station, which makes travel to/from the airports very cheap and easy. The Powell/Hyde street car stop is very close as well to see the downtown area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to celebrate a personal achievement, and spending one night in an upscale hotel was our first thought to spoil ourselves. This hotel is an easy walk to Chinatown and the major upscale shopping g district (hello, Barney's!)
The front desk staff (Kevin) was particularly helpful and made arrangements to help us check in early, and the room was delightful-especially the window bench! The view on either side of the building is quite nice and we have a great view of the epic SF sunset.
However, the blinds/window coverings do not make the totally dark, so as soon as the sun was up, the room was quite bright. If you're on vacation, come prepared with an eye cover of some kind!
Coffee in the morning was welcome, but marginal in quality. Bathroom/Shower was excellent, bedding was quite comfy and overall ambiance was pleasant.
No Free Wifi in the rooms, which we worked around by using our hotspots on our phones, and parking cost is INSANE ($52/day) and valet ONLY so we parked at a garage nearby for $32.
We would stay here again, but only after checking the St.Regis/Westin for comparable rates.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I spent 3 days at this hotel. We are used to the W "energy" and felt it was a bit off here. There was no DJ in the lobby over the weekend which normally every W has. The rooms were also on the small side. We had a Cozy Corner room on the 24th floor and it still felt tight. Overall, the location cannot be beat and the room was very clean. Nice stay in SF.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business