“W SF: Always great service, atmosphere and staff”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I travel to SF once a month and stay at W SF. The staff has always been helpful, customer service is great, rooms are spacious and spa experience was fantastic

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
wsanfrancisco, manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

Well Hello There, tps2112!

Wow, thanks for taking the time to share the fantastic feedback from your past stays at the W San Francisco!

Can't wait till next time!

Warmest Wishes,

W SF

Write a ReviewReviews (2,204)

Reviewed 6 November 2009

W is doing something right. Once a trendsetter in popularizing boutique hotels, W is now on the tamer side of progressiveness, but don’t tell that to the mob in the lobby. While some hotels are conceived as a home away from home, I think of the W as a nightclub with beds upstairs. From the moment you walk in (and regardless of the hour) you’re enveloped by the thump-thump-thumping of music, an organic lounge seating area that begs you to check out who’s who, and no shortage of hipsters who collectively turn and check you out as you pass through the door and then dismissively return to their small talk. You don’t get that at the Westin across the street.

In San Francisco, the W will always be relevant because of its location. I stayed there because it was directly across from Moscone, and for a convention there’s simply no better place. The dichotomy between badge-wearing conventioneers and twentysomethings is a little awkward, but it makes for interesting social mixing.

If you’re going boutique, I’d put the W SF several rungs below the Hudson in NY or Delano in Miami Beach or any of their brethren. It remains more homey, however, than the stark modernism of the new St. Regis next door or Intercontinental one block down. The room worked for me. Smallish (no surprise), it was more residential and quirky than I expected. I liked the playful accessories – the foot massager under the desk (every hotel should have one), the glowing Buddha, the kaleidoscope, the bench running the width of the room along the window with the block of wood as a step, the wealth of stationery and things with clever phrases on them. The bathroom was fine – I like the Bliss products – tangy without being silly. The bed was heavenly as expected.

On the other hand, the plantation shutters make absolutely no sense in a city hotel – you’re stuck with them blocking your view in the middle of the window if you open them, they don’t black out the light, and they’re a pain if you’re sitting on the bench presumably trying to look out the window at the fantastic skyline. The clock radio was too cool for its own good – I prefer digital clocks with the correct time that I can read in the dark instead of a 50’s style form-follows-form piece. The room was too dark and turning the lights on (and the Buddha off) required more reconnaissance than necessary. And finally, the $14.95 for internet access in Downtown San Francisco is frankly insulting to Steve Jobs and everyone else who made Silicon Valley what it is - even a B&B in Vermont gives it to you for free these days. Guys, charge another buck at the bar if you have to.

Downstairs, the food was good in the restaurant and the prices reasonable, the fitness center serviceable, the pool a welcomed surprise and their kiosk to print out boarding passes very handy. The service was fine, nothing exceeded my expectations but no disappointments either. The free Acura shuttle was perhaps the most memorable part of my stay, they swept me away to an outstanding Greek restaurant for dinner - Kokkari Estiatorio – splendid lamb chops. My one recommendation to W is to change up the music in the morning so that it doesn’t feel like I have a hangover in Vegas when I’m coming down in the elevator.

All in all, a pretty seamless stay. All the reliability of a Starwood corporate standard with a touch of edginess for the young and the young at heart.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank HarryfromLA
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Hotel was nice. On the hipster side as all W hotels are. I didn't like to have to pay to go to the lounge as a hotel guest. Rooms were small.

Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We spent 4 nights here on a girl's trip around California. The standard twin room was much larger than anticipated and there was enough room for the 3 of us. The rooms were clean and service was ok. I particularly liked the Bliss Spa products in the room (but am a fan anyway :0). House keeping was good, concierge helpful and hotel Bar apparently trendy (not something that I would notice!!),
I would recommend this hotel for location and rooms. I haven't stayed in other hotels in SF but for the price we paid it was reasonable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2009

My husband is a fan of "W" hotels and I am not. We stayed five nights at this hotel and received the same quality of service that one would receive from a medium priced hotel. I was very disappointed with the service from the front desk, who seem to cater to the big spenders vs. the average person, which I found offensive. The room was small and the furnishings cheesy. No class to this hotel at all. The nice feature at the hotel was the Acura experience. Loved that feature and the driver and all associated with it were great.

On the day of checkout, I looked at our bill and we were charged for a breakfast that we never ate. The agent seemed very suspicious and questioned me about it. I told him we never ate there and he pulled up the bill and he said it showed that we signed for it, which was pretty scary since we didn't socialize with anyone at the hotel. It was eventually taken off our bill, but like some folks have said on here, you shouldn't have to check your bill at these supposedly swank and well run hotel. So, look at your bill carefully! Also, a downer that they do not included high speed internet. Young and hip crowds should expect that they get their internet for free. Overall, not very impressed with a $500+ a night hotel that offers little for that amount of money. Never staying there again, but I am sure my husband will :)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Earlies comments about the rooms ...slatted drapes that don't keep out the light fully, and glassed sliding bathroom door that doesn't leave much privacy.....100% on the mark

Music puming at 7 am as you go out to get you coffee .....also 100% true.

$45 for 4 hours of parking ....100% true

But I guess W has done a good job of branding becasue I always enjoy it. We had a great 3 nights. The room was clean, bright and spacious. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dergondarkhelm
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed there for a week while attending a friends wedding. Have stayed in LOADS of starwood hotels and Im not quite sure about the "W" brand... seems like they are trying just a bit too hard to be cool.
The room was roomy enough for SF, nothing to complain about with the decor or condition of the room (nothing to rave about either). Staff was friendly- even were let up to the roof for some great views by a electrician that we happened to speak to in the elevator which was neat. The best thing at the hotel was perhaps the Acura car- they would take you anywhere in the city for free (w/in 1 mile but that wasn't enforced) considering it was actually hard to catch a cab from the hotel sometimes this was a great bonus. Oh and ditch your car- its $40 a day to park... you dont really need one in SF anyhow... trust me it will only lead you to frustration if you are not a native :).
Only downside to the place is that its across the street from the convention centre- great if you at a convention... not so great if you are not. Seems to be the hot spot for mid-day, afternoon, and evening drinks for people from the centre meaning that the bar/ entire lobby area is ALWAYS packed with people.... during the week stay I had the unfortunate luck of getting 2 drinks spilled on me as I was trying to get into the hotel!
Overall think that the brand is trying a bit too hard. We stayed at the Place hotel when we were in SF last time and I would totally stay there again over the W.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple