“Cool Place and Great Customer Service”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Hazlet, New Jersey
“Cool Place and Great Customer Service”
Reviewed 27 December 2010

We traveled in San Francisco for a wedding in October. It was our first time visiting. We had such a wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly, and helpful. They always provided us with suggestions for restaurants and things to do.
The hotel was located next to the Museum of Modern Art. There were many places around the W to eat. I really enjoyed dinner at The Thirsty Bear which is located directly across the street from the hotel. We were also across the street from the Buena Vista Gardens.
The rooms were really cool, stylish, and comfortable. The provided us with the best bath products I have used at a hotel (from the Bliss Spa). The body lotion was fantastic. The conceriege called us once a day to make sure we had everything we needed. One morning we had an issue with our safe. We called the help desk and they sent someone up within five minutes.
I would definately stay at the W Hotel again. We had such a comfortable stay and a great experience.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Hotel was nice with great decor and very vibrant (not stuffy). Service was excellent. Room was very nice, and clean and is better than the pictures provided. Best part of the stay was the complementary Acura shuttle to areas in SFO and the free Pacman arcade game in the lobby.

Fitness centre was large. Pool was a bit ghetto.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zhivago22
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Colleagues and I had the pleasure of staying at the W San Francisco and putting on a small event in November, 2010. The experience far exceeded my expectations, right down to the General Manager Michael Pace himself taking time to give me directions and help me to ship a package. I cannot say enough good things about how fabulous the facility and staff are.

Annalee Haygood-Earl coordinated my event, and she was awesome - proactive, knowledgeable, conscious of my needs and budget and just endlessly pleasant. She is a joy, and I am saying this as someone who has worked with a lot of event managers. Every step of the way, she made me feel like my business was important to her.

On the night of the event, the two W staff members on hand were also terrific. Warm and helpful, they were quick to jump in to rearrange the venue set-up when the turnout was smaller than expected. They made sure we had everything we needed, and went the extra mile to meet all of my and our guests' requests.

Finally the property itself - it was my first time staying at a W. I'll admit, I always felt like I wasn't cool enough for the W. But now having been a guest, they have me for life. The guest rooms, gym and restaurant and bar areas are chic, beautifully appointed and incredibly comfortable. I felt at home, which meant I could concentrate on my meetings, event and other responsibilities.

I visit San Francisco 4-6 times a year for business and pleasure. I usually stay at the Westin Market Street up the street on Third but I don't expect to do that anymore. It will be the W for me.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I went to the W for business. The hotel was great. They went above and beyond to help me host a business event. The management made arrangements to section off a private area in the bar for a small group of business partners with only one days notice while there was a major cenvetion going on in town. Everyone in town was booked but they made special arrangements to accomidate my needs.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I normally like W hotels, having stayed at W's in San Diego, New York and New Orleans but didn't feel the W San Francisco was worth the money. We'd been travelling around California and this was the last hotel we stayed at before flying home. I paid nearly $400 a night for a 3 night stay in a 'Fabulous' corner room, and I felt a bit ripped off.

The hotel markets itself as a boutique type hotel with a cool vibe, but to us it came across as snobby and unwelcoming. We're a professional couple in our 30's and we love to travel, which I would think is the target market for the W and we've stayed at several before, so it's not like we just 'don't get it', but we feel that at the end of the day the W staff are in the hospitality industry and the coolest thing they can do is to look after their guests well and at this W they really don't.

Pros:

1. The porters were great and out of all the staff these guys were really helpful, and the only ones who seemed to care about the guest experience.
2. The location is great for SFMOMA and Market St/Union Sq restaurants, bars, sightseeing, and shopping.

Cons:

1. The front desk staff were really snooty, uninterested and unhelpful.
2. The hotel charges premium prices for *everything* on top of the already fairly high room rates.
3. The 'fabulous' room is just OK. OK view, OK size, adequate sound proofing, decent bed. Hardly 'Fabulous' and personally i found the quirky room decor more than a little garish and tacky.
4. The area seems to be a homeless hot-spot, and there were usually several people begging right outside the hotel every time we went out or came back. It seems the numbers of homeless people increases every time we go back to San Francisco, especially in the Market St/Union Square area, and seeing people who are clearly mentally ill, disabled and/or old living on the streets and rifling through bins is something we can never get used to (Not the W's fault of course, but as it's rife in the area then it'd be remiss not to mention it).
5. The concierge was constantly busy, and when I did wait long enough to get to speak to her it felt like I was an irritating distraction for her.

If you want somewhere where the staff care about their guests then stay elsewhere, and if you want a genuinely fashionable boutique hotel then the W isn't it either.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stones7
Atlanta
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The W was not our first choice and would not be in the future not because of any real problems just not our style.
We are both in our 60's and this hotel is more appropriate for the under 35 crowd.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
los angeles, ca, usa
Reviewed 13 December 2010

As so many reviews state, this hotel is great in most aspects, although the standard rooms are on the smaller side and we didn't care for the lack of locks on the bathroom. But the internet is too expensive in my opinion and this a deal killer. It's $14.95 PER DEVICE. This means that since my husband and I both have separate computers, we're paying over $30 a day just to access the internet. Not to mention that we both have iphones but can't use the wireless connection because that would be an additional $30 a day. I could live with $15 a day per room, even though that's still kind of high. Charging per device is practically unconscionable. Yes, I could go downstairs and browse the internet free in the lobby but that seems kind of ridiculous since I'm paying for the room, not to hang out in the lobby. Next time I'll find a hotel that charges a fairer rate, or better yet, offers free internet as a courtesy to their customers.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple