“Very lovely place to save on a budget”
Review of Hotel Vertigo

Hotel Vertigo
Ranked #75 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide
“Very lovely place to save on a budget”
Reviewed 9 April 2009

This hotel is fanastic value for money within walking distance to Union Square. The room was very clean and tidy and the hotel provided free wireless internet. The staff were very friendly and were more than happy to help with all of my enquires. The only minor negative of this hotel is the nearly $40 for the carpark. I would certainly stay here again when visiting San francisco.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank WigsAdelaide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2009

The hotel has a certain charm all its own. Although the Vertigo has no restaurant , there were plenty of places nearby to choose from. It was cheap, clean and had free Wi Fi. The staff was courteous and helpful. The rooms did lack adequate drawer space and were a little small. The bathroom was cool- I liked the rainhead shower and the H20 products and the flat panel TV. I would still recommend The Vertigo to anyone wanting a inexpensive place to stay with personality.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DoRoTX
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2009

The Hotel Vertigo lived up to my expectations: a relatively good deal on a hotel undergoing renovations in a great location, Downtown San Francisco. I chose a renovated room, however, I was not informed it was a handicap room, and the bathroom was not renovated. My room glowed orange morning and afternoon, and the bed was incredibly plush & comfortable after a late night arrival. I made good use of the ipod docking station, however the free wifi was slow. There are a number of good cafes in the area for breakfast, and it's a quick walk to Powell St to pick up local transportation. I'm used to living in a city, so for a street facing 5th floor room, I considered it quiet, although one night, I could hear the people walking around on the floor above me. Not many amenities to brag of, but, I'd stay here again, for the price and location, I was very pleased with my stay. I can't wait to see it when the renovations are complete!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2009

We stayed for a couple of nights in this hotel. We booked the room very last minute with a great price, so we didn't have much time to research the area/rooms etc... When we arrived the staff in the reception was very friendly and made us feel at home straight away.

The rooms were really different and swanky, and loved the attention to detail, very refreshing and original. Ipod stations, cool-simple bathroom, and wi-fi were also a plus.

Also to note that while the hotel was undergoing renovation we never heard anything at all, the only sign of building works was around the front desk.

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stayed in (and paid for) an UN-RENOVATED room which was a bit rough around the edges but provided basic needs and was clean. By summer all rooms will be renovated. It was good for the price which was the low end for SF downtown hotels... The lobby was being painted while I was there. The will be a nice hotel when they are done with the work. The front desk service was good. My only complaint was that I bought the room with the 5-10-15 promo rate and asked for the $15 per day parking discount (They have a contract with a garage 2 blocks away) when I checked in. They did not credit me the 15 dollar per night automatically and I had to remind them when my bill was presented to me. The Hotel should have not made me ask. Were it not for that I would have given them 5 stars.
I have heard from other reviewers that the renovated rooms were nice but they are more expensive. I did not see any of the new rooms.
There is a great coffee house on the street two blocks from the hotel which is popular with the locals.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Jamestown, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Although much of the vintage charm of the York Hotel is gone, the new Hotel Vertigo is really a treat. The bed and sheets are very comfortable, the bathroom spotlessly clean with mod sink and shower (and H20 toiletries), and the extra touches like the signature lamps and mirror are very cool. And the rates are very affordable. (We got a Renovated Queen for $90.)

A couple of drawbacks were the fact that the heating system hasn't been upgraded with the rest of the hotel (yet) and was quite loud. Parking is less than ideal, but really no different than the rest of the city.

Depending on your preferences, the renovation is either a bonus or a letdown. If you're looking for a cool boutique hotel, you'll love it. But if you're hoping to re-create a shot-for-shot scene from the Hitchcock classic, you're out of luck.

• Liked — Vertigo connection
  • Disliked — Parking
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank rcmann
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 January 2009

This is a newly remodeled hotel. Though you can tell this by the outside of the hotel and a modest amount of continued work-in-progress, the rooms were great! We loved the decor and the feel of the room. For such a great price, you really got your money's worth. Plus, free wi-fi! My boyfriend and I took BART into San Francisco because the parking is soo expensive. We were just staying there for a night, not from out-of-town so it worked out perfectly.

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — Expensive parking
    • Check-in / front desk