SF Plaza Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$436
US$191
US$155
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$267
US$247
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Hilton Parc 55 San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$209
  • Bar/Lounge
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$214
US$317
US$307
  • Room Service
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$298
US$272
  • Bar/Lounge
US$456
US$307
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$342
US$279
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbreakfast room isdecent breakfastworked finethe ritzqueen bedthe financial districtceiling fanratesfishermanneighborhoods
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Average and just enough I you need just a bed for a night.
We were traveling for more than 24 hours and we would not spend any more than we did.
Considering that we were her just 7 hours, the price included continental breakfast it's fairly good.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed at the hotel several weeks ago. It was, as advertised centrally located.

When I first arrived at my room, it had a pronounced odor. I turned on the bathroom fan and eventually the odor dissipated.

From that time on, the stay was ok and I might consider staying there again when I return to San Fran.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank DCtraveller1147
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed in room #404 from Aug 1st to 4th. Decent place. Quite clean. On the dividing edge of Chinatown and Union Square. Great location. My room window opened to Bush street. The Union Square shops started at that corner (Bush/Grant). Starbucks is right across the street ! Union Square is 5-7 min walk. I really liked the feel of the place - felt that it was taken care of. Service was nothing special. Front desk was polite but not extra friendly in any way. It was easy to communicate and get a response, except housekeeping spoke no English (which is common in many hotels). The room was like being in someone's home. Everything is very basic. My room was large w a queen bed, a desk and another storage unit, all old and dated same as the curtains (curtains had a grey plastic loooking sheeting to block the light). The water wasn't going down the bathtub or the sink that well. The heater in the room did not work. It was cold at times ! I had a fan in the room which was nice as it varied between hot and cold. Overall Very clean except maybe for the (large) closet space and night tables which hadnt been dusted for a while. Anyway definitely overall clean. No smell at all. Wifi is available in the 2nd floor lounge only which is large with many chairs/long table and a couple of couches. Very nice and comfortable space. My key came off the ring - I didnt actually 'lose' it - but they charged me $15 saying that the usual charge was $30. I didnt mind that so much but minded the attitude of the front desk guy who said he doesn't know what the 'story' is. I wasnt told about the charge till my checkout time at which time i didnt have time to hunt for the key which i m sure fell off the ring in my room. when i told the front reception the 'story' initially he only told me to return the 2nd key they gave me n didnt advise me of the charge. Later at checkout the guy saying he didnt know the 'story' obviously doesnt see that it is the lack of their communication on their part if he doesnt know the 'story'; what was i to do call the other day staff at 8am that morning to say tell your colleague here what happened. Like i said he was dismissive with an irritated demeanour towards anything i had to say. So the service sucks for sure though for most part it was just non-committal and basic and not rude. Would stay there again for the price and the location and a pretty good room. I would ask for the front rooms though. One facing Grant street more towards the back seemed a bit more dingy.

Room Tip: I think front rooms facing Bush street i.e. the front of the hotel might be better than towards the back. My room was #404 and it was decent. Rooms in that row, facing Bush street, seemed all good when I peeked in. If cold make sure you check the heater so u dont have to repack to move rooms. Ask for a fan BeFoRE you check in as in July August it will get hot and cold so you need both ! No air-conditioning but doubt it is needed if u have a fan, though taxi driver told me in sep it warms up.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ParaN8
Reviewed 29 July 2013

In reading the reviews, it said that the room was very basic but was in a great location. That was 100% accurate. Great location right where Chinatown starts, but the deadbolt on my door was broken, the window was *broken open*, and the staff, who barely spoke English, had no record of my reservation. The T.V. had 12 fuzzy channels, and the floor was almost softer than the bed. It works if you'll just be there for a very short time, but I felt unsafe as a young female traveling alone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed here as a lone traveller and the (24hr reception) staff were really helpful, providing local information and assisting with (affordable) excursions. There is a big communal room on the third or fourth floor for wifi (the connection did not stretch to my room, but it was nice to meet people and get chatting to other lone travellers, which is why I felt that the place had more of a hostel feel than a hotel). The wifi was free, which is a real plus in my book as some other hotels in the area charge $15+/night

On my excursions I met with other people travelling solo, and we all compared hotels, with my new-found chums taking pictures from my window to pretend that it was the view from their own hotels! They had more luxurious furnishings in their hotels, but as I’d travelled from London, I wanted to see San Francisco, not the duvet cover.

This is more like staying in a hostel than a hotel, so if you’re expecting extravagant luxury then you will be disappointed. The rooms are basic (the bathmat in my bathroom was made of disposable paper), but they have everything you need (bed, lamp, table, chair, shower, sink, toilet, TV, AC). One or two suspect stains about the walls/floors, and the room carpet/bathroom lino could probably do with a deep clean so maybe pack a pair of flip flops if you’re worried!!

My room was on the 7th floor at the front of the building and had a spectacular view down the street to the city. Location is perfect as you are a stone’s throw from Union square, the cable cars, the beach, and of course, right at the gates to China town.

No denying that the furnishings are a little dated and the bath towels are a bit small and scratchy compared to the massive fluffy offerings of some places, (actually, as I recall, my first towel was dirty, but the receptionist replaced it with a swift apology and minimum of fuss) In fact, the whole place could be tremendously cheered by a lick of paint, but for location and value, especially if you are on a budget and/or travelling by yourself, I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Great views from 7th floor, but wifi doesn't reach so high...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo