“"Very, very ordinary"”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #201 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Visited this hotel with my wife and friends. The lady at the front desk was extremely rude, the room dirty and smelly with old tattered furniture. Bathroom cabinet was rotting and the carpet old and threadbare. We had a blocked toilet and reported it to the front desk. Nothing happened and I had to ask a cleaner to fix it, and she did. Later that day the guy at the front desk asked me if someone had fixed our hot water. The location is great but noisy. I wouldn't stay here again but those on a very tight travel budget may find the price OK.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for SF Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. Located close to union square and china town. The hotel is in desperate need of renovation and a good clean wouldn't hurt either. It gives the impression that the owners are too stingy to fork out money for any nicities. What put me off most about this hotel was the awful, blunt customer service. It wouldnt hurt the staff to crack a smile.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Fantastic location here. From a UK perspective - this place worked out at £47.82 a night. For the both of us. Other than hostels - you couldn't really get cheaper. The front desk staff were helpful. We had arrived a day prior to our booking. They sorted us out in the top floor, and we stayed in that room the whole week. There was no A/C, and as the weather got warmer, every room was provided with an upright fan. This was fine for me. No breakfast - but you're so close to the heart of the City, its not a problem. Free Wi-Fi in the meeting room on the 2nd floor. Travellers meet there to use the Wi-Fi and its fine. It was nice to sit in that cool room & connect back home. No complaints here for the money. The lift was fine & we were allowed to store our cycles safely. A great Hotel. 10/10.

Room Tip: The higher the better for a view of China Town.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Average and just enough I you need just a bed for a night.
We were traveling for more than 24 hours and we would not spend any more than we did.
Considering that we were her just 7 hours, the price included continental breakfast it's fairly good.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed at the hotel several weeks ago. It was, as advertised centrally located.

When I first arrived at my room, it had a pronounced odor. I turned on the bathroom fan and eventually the odor dissipated.

From that time on, the stay was ok and I might consider staying there again when I return to San Fran.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank DCtraveller1147
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed in room #404 from Aug 1st to 4th. Decent place. Quite clean. On the dividing edge of Chinatown and Union Square. Great location. My room window opened to Bush street. The Union Square shops started at that corner (Bush/Grant). Starbucks is right across the street ! Union Square is 5-7 min walk. I really liked the feel of the place - felt that it was taken care of. Service was nothing special. Front desk was polite but not extra friendly in any way. It was easy to communicate and get a response, except housekeeping spoke no English (which is common in many hotels). The room was like being in someone's home. Everything is very basic. My room was large w a queen bed, a desk and another storage unit, all old and dated same as the curtains (curtains had a grey plastic loooking sheeting to block the light). The water wasn't going down the bathtub or the sink that well. The heater in the room did not work. It was cold at times ! I had a fan in the room which was nice as it varied between hot and cold. Overall Very clean except maybe for the (large) closet space and night tables which hadnt been dusted for a while. Anyway definitely overall clean. No smell at all. Wifi is available in the 2nd floor lounge only which is large with many chairs/long table and a couple of couches. Very nice and comfortable space. My key came off the ring - I didnt actually 'lose' it - but they charged me $15 saying that the usual charge was $30. I didnt mind that so much but minded the attitude of the front desk guy who said he doesn't know what the 'story' is. I wasnt told about the charge till my checkout time at which time i didnt have time to hunt for the key which i m sure fell off the ring in my room. when i told the front reception the 'story' initially he only told me to return the 2nd key they gave me n didnt advise me of the charge. Later at checkout the guy saying he didnt know the 'story' obviously doesnt see that it is the lack of their communication on their part if he doesnt know the 'story'; what was i to do call the other day staff at 8am that morning to say tell your colleague here what happened. Like i said he was dismissive with an irritated demeanour towards anything i had to say. So the service sucks for sure though for most part it was just non-committal and basic and not rude. Would stay there again for the price and the location and a pretty good room. I would ask for the front rooms though. One facing Grant street more towards the back seemed a bit more dingy.

Room Tip: I think front rooms facing Bush street i.e. the front of the hotel might be better than towards the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ParaN8
Reviewed 29 July 2013

In reading the reviews, it said that the room was very basic but was in a great location. That was 100% accurate. Great location right where Chinatown starts, but the deadbolt on my door was broken, the window was *broken open*, and the staff, who barely spoke English, had no record of my reservation. The T.V. had 12 fuzzy channels, and the floor was almost softer than the bed. It works if you'll just be there for a very short time, but I felt unsafe as a young female traveling alone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business