“Loved Hotel Astoria, heart of SF”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #200 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I found this little gem on line. What a great location. We left Little Italy, walked back through China Town and got to our hotel minutes. GPS said .6 mile from where we ate. Easy walk. What a value. Older hotel but very charming. Only a couple blocks from trolley too. If you can walk, you will like it. Basic but very do able. Much like hotels in UK

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Dianemerrill4567

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Room with two twins under $70 on a busy weekend, this place isn't advertising as fancy, it just does the trick. The tv in the room is probably worth thousands, it is an antique!drinking water cooler in the lobby,save your water bottle to refill!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I have read many negative reviews here,but I don't know why.I've been little bit nervous before check-in, but then I was suprised.The room looked old but was cleaned,even bathroom.The room didn't smell good,but ok...Bed wasn't comfortable, but we could sleep.You can hear a noise late night from the street,but I guess,It's a problem all older hotel in SF. I would definitle stay here again,because I couldn't find a better price in downtown SF,where you can have your own bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Bobanos
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I wasnt expecting anything fancy from this hotel, just a basic and clean room to sleep in during our stay in SF. The problem was when we checked in and went to our room, that smell that came from the room was just disgusting. I had to use my deodorant to take away that horrible pee smell apart from opening the window (or at least part of it as it wouldnt open totally) to ventilate the room a bit.

The towels were not totally clean, we had to change them a couple of times because they had weird stains on them. Although they did smell as cleaned, but we were not very happy about the idea of those stains on the towels.

The location is fantastic, next to Chinatown, Union Square and a Cable Car stop just at the end of the street. If you are not happy with the "breakfast" they have (we never knew about the breakfast, as the not very kind girl at the reception, didnt tell us anything about it), there is a Subway just in fron and for 3 dollars something you will have a nice menu including a big coffee.

I dont think I would stay here again...I think I would try and pay a bit more and get something better!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, in a room with 2 beds, already had low expectations for the hotel since we booked it primarily for the price and location, but still was not as I expected it, did not meet my already low expectations!

positives:
hotel was cheap at $75 a night,
in a good location, relatively safe area, right next to the entrance to Chinatown, just a few minutes walk to union square, Starbucks across the street as well as a mini grocery store
Small room, has a huge walk in closet, or rather storage area where we placed our huge luggages and made it into a dressing room!

Negatives:
Unwelcoming front desk staff, as mentioned the lady in the front desk was bordering on rude

Hotel smelled old, elevator was an exciting ride, bumpy would be an understatement, but it does have a certificate that it was inspected for safety

Room is very basic, bed was noisy, with 2 cute pillows that were lumpy but smelled clean though, floor had areas that creaked when stepped upon, it appears that it has a wooden floor that is loose under the not so clean carpet, there is no coffee making facility inside the room nor even anywhere in the hotel, no refrigerator as well, TV with a built in VHS(imagine, a VHS!) with no apparent remote for it, with a fan and a heater that badly needed cleaning. Outlets were difficult to locate, you had to move your bed away from the wall to be able to use it. Street noise was easily heard, from the vehicles to people loudly talking
For the bathroom, at least the bowl flushes properly, soap is very low quality, shampoo smells like a medication I cannot recall, better to bring your own. No hair dryer. The towels were white, but visibly of different shades! Some a dark white may be very old ones, they smelled clean though. Bedside lamp was not working.
If you want a cup of coffee or tea, or just a cold glass of water, you have to go down to the lobby where there is a water dispenser that does not work! So just cross to Starbucks instead once you are in the lobby!
Bell service is non-existent

In the end this place was more of a locker room and bed for us. We were out the whole day, and came back late at night.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rexoy
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Visited this hotel with my wife and friends. The lady at the front desk was extremely rude, the room dirty and smelly with old tattered furniture. Bathroom cabinet was rotting and the carpet old and threadbare. We had a blocked toilet and reported it to the front desk. Nothing happened and I had to ask a cleaner to fix it, and she did. Later that day the guy at the front desk asked me if someone had fixed our hot water. The location is great but noisy. I wouldn't stay here again but those on a very tight travel budget may find the price OK.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. Located close to union square and china town. The hotel is in desperate need of renovation and a good clean wouldn't hurt either. It gives the impression that the owners are too stingy to fork out money for any nicities. What put me off most about this hotel was the awful, blunt customer service. It wouldnt hurt the staff to crack a smile.

• Stayed: August 2013