“Best Location”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #200 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The location next to chinatown is perfect. Its a deep budget hotel and is bare bones basic. Its underpriced for S.F. You won't get all the tech hookups or HD TV, but thats for home anyway. Parking is a couple of blocks away in a pay garage, stop at the hotel first to pay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank coolio9

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Astoria Hotel is a spleeping hotel. Beds are Ok and bathroom has minimum supplys (towels, shampoo), almost no plugs to charge cellphones. Despite of that. the location of Hotel is awesome, just next to China Town entry and a 10 minutes walk to any line of muni buses. Service is also awesome, front desk guy help us with tips to reach interest point and with a map!!.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rigoberto_A_N
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed here three nights in February. Staff were very friendly, front desk staff there 24hrs / day. Travelled alone, felt safe here. Neighbourhood was fine to walk around at night, great location. Room was impeccably clean, despite outdated decor. I was pleasantly surprised how clean it is, despite the odd smell as you enter the lobby. I think it's just an old musty smell fr the age of the building.
I was in room 702, had a private washroom which costs a bit extra.
Daily clean service was great, again cleaned room very thoroughly. Their towels smelled so fresh and soft.
However the bed is very hard, although it didn't bother me. I slept very good.

It is a non-smoking hotel, signs are everywhere and they make you sign a contract you'll abide by this policy on check in. That didn't stop people downstairs fr lighting up on my 2nd night. The smell of cigarettes travelled through the washroom and into my room near midnight, I informed the front desk as I didn't want to be blamed since the smell was very strong in my room, happened the next night too but the smell wasn't as strong, perhaps they just smoked half a cigarette.

The building is not very sound proof. What bothered me the most was how loud the bathroom fans are. The people downstairs had theirs running for an extended period of time, it's very annoying hearing it from your room. Also they had music going late into the evening, I felt I had to turn the tv on to not hear their music so loudly.

Overall I would stay here again, general customer service was great, great location, and clean premises.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank J E
Reviewed 7 February 2014

So Wifey was going to be connecting through San Fran and since its my favourite city in the US we decided that I would meet her there for a quick overnighter. We wanted to stay somewhere central and cheap (as in broke cheap) we found this place and no lie, it looked sketchy, not the best reviews, but we figured we would only be there to sleep.

So we get there and NOT BAD! ok, the room was clean, decently clean (room 603) better than we where hoping for. The shower was clean, the bed was extremely clean. Yes it is old, yes the bed was very hard (but not bad), yes the pillows suck eggs and the elevator is a roller coaster ride but the hotel is what you expect, its clean, the staff is very nice and wonderful and it is incredibly central.

If I was doing this on the cheap I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank emmanuele
Reviewed 7 January 2014

It wasn't a bad price, was easy to find and locate being next to the Chinatown gate. Besides that just remember you get what you pay for. The room I stayed in was nicely remodeled so new paint, new decor and some new furniture. The noise is something I'd change, but being situated right on the road it was expected. The problems I had with the place was the bathroom, it just seemed down on it's luck and the doors didn't seem all that strong.

Otherwise, it's not a bad location, next to Chinatown, in the heart of downtown and within walking distance of most places. Easy to find from the BART, and we had a pretty good view. I'd chance it again if I had the chance.

Room Tip: Avoid roadside rooms, you'll hear police cars and garbage trucks all the time if you don't.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Yes, the bed was a little too hard, the location a little too noisy and the elevator a little too wobbly, but the room was spotless, the bathroom was reasonably sized (and well lit) and the price can't be beat. And just a few minutes walk from Union Square. My room (702) and its bed would have been tight for two people, but worked just fine for a solo traveler. Bottom line: A good choice for a single traveler if price is paramount.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank hrza04a
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Or the only thing. Hate to give a bad review because the people who work here were so amazingly nice, friendly, helpful..not enough words to describe them.

We just didn't feel the rooms were.... clean. That was the main problem.

Forget that the rooms are old with no frills, that it's noisy with the busy traffic and constant honking on Bush and that the shakey elevator in this old building made me pray that there would be no earhtquake while I was inside - you get what you pay for and this is one of if not THE cheapest place to stay near all the attractions - At the Gateway to Chinatown, walking distance from the Piers, Fisherman's Wharf (although most people thought we were crazy walking "that far" so okay - take the cable cars down)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends