“Location a redeeming feature”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #202 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Location a redeeming feature”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Luckily we only stayed 4 nights. On arrival we were told that the elevator was out of order and it never looked like being fixed while we were there. Our room was large and the bathroom was okay but there were piles of mosquitoes and it was really noisy from activity in Chinatown. Wifi was only available on the second floor. Breakfast cost $4 pp and consisted of juice, coffee, bagel/bread, cream cheese and jelly. That was it. A young man on the desk was polite and helpful but others not so. It's a shame that this hotel has not been maintained or upgraded to any extent. Would only recommend selectively.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms may be quieter but may be a problem if the elevator is out of action.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valger4850

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Bed's were really uncomfortable, place was kind of dirty and no free continental breakfast, why would anyone pay $5 for Continental breakfast?. Wifi is not available only in a specified room on the second floor of the hotel. the LOCATION is the only GOOD thing.

Room Tip: Only wifi is in a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in our short trip to San Fran. If it was more than two nights, I would have checked out and gone somewhere else.
The location was good, walking distance to shops, restaurants and easily accessible via public transport.
The hotel is dated, but this was no issue for us as it was a short stay and you get what you pay for but the smell inside the hotel and rooms was unacceptable. I think the sewerage and pipes system need some serious servicing/cleaning out as there was a lingering bad smell that made me feel that the place was very unhygienic.
I will not be staying here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Reasonable hotel that is mostly suited for the solo traveller and not recommended for a couples getaway. Beds are old and springy, showers are not in the best condition. Wifi only in a common room on the second floor where a few gruesome couches and an old meeting table have been set up.
However due to the low price of rooms and the perfect location I would have still been mildly positive about the hotel had it not been for the fact that out of my 4 nights here I found my room not cleaned twice. When I told this at the frontdesk i was told that I put out a Do not Disturb sign when in fact I had put up the Please Clean Room Now sign.
"The sign is the sign, and cleaning lady leave..." was the somewhat baffling response I got when I went to report the problem...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Largely-speaking I haven't changed my opinion of the Astoria Hotel. It's still, in my mind, absolutely wonderfully-located, hard to beat on price and, if you are of the right type of mindset, of perfectly adequate quality.

However, I realised on a recent trip, my fifth stay at the Astoria, that there really has never been any effort to improve, or even maintain, standards.

It seems to me as something breaks, gets dirty or runs out, then that's that, it doesn't get fixed, cleaned or replaced.

So actually, standards are constantly dropping. And that's from a not particularly high starting point.

I'll still stay here, at least for the time being, but I think I am going to stop recommending it to both friends and family and other TripAdvisor members.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room to avoid the worst of the street noise but my preference has always been...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LDN_2009
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've stayed here at the Astoria Hotel every time I've visited The City except once and I've been visiting on a regular basis since 1986-1987. I stayed once at the Olympic Hotel on Mason Street near the Hilton and the Marriott off of O'Farrell St. The Olympic was on par with the Astoria but was bought out by the Art Institute for dorm space or whatever so it's been the Astoria ever since.
I guess if I was a Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt kind of guy I wouldn't mind throwing away $200-250/night just for a place to sleep. Not to compare the two properties obviously but there are many more ways to spending your hard earned vacation money there in San Francisco as any other expensive locale.
But maybe I have it all wrong which is a distinct possibility. What is it they say about real estate: location, location, location... At the corner of Grant and Bush next to the Chinatown gate, you couldn't ask for a more convenient location. And for you Starbucks junkies, there's one across the street. And it's cheap and that's one word you'll never hear associated with San Francisco.
I guess when I can book r/t airfare and 7 nights at the luxurious Astoria for much less than $1,000, I shouldn't complain. I never pay full fare and if I think rates are high I just won't go, simple as that. But a few simple amenities wouldn't hurt. Like, for instance maybe a couple of microwaves in the community room on the second floor so the guests can warm up some leftover restaurant food or even warm up a cup of coffee for heaven's sake.
Don't know how much it would cost to Wi-Fi each floor but the community room has it but I'm sure most guests would prefer the privacy of their own rooms. The breakfast items served on the second floor daily works for something on the run. And how about some vending machines and ice machines. We're not asking the owners to break the bank here but I've talked to a front desk person there who has mentioned these type of amenities to the owners for years and has had no response.
But then again who do you think is going to absorb the costs of these added amenities and renovations. Their loyal customers like myself. Maybe if some of us took our business elsewhere they'd get the message. Probably not. Food for thought Astoria Hotel. Is anybody listening there..
I must give a shout out to the hard working housekeeping staff. They do a heck of a job and at least my room has always been clean, or let's say clean enough. And maybe add a few more channels and upgrade the TV's and make sure all the remotes work. Just saying...

Room Tip: As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.. I been going there for years and booked my room w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hillside
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights which was 4 nights too many. Before I go into the problems I encountered I want to say that the price and location were great! However, you definitely get what you pay for. My biggest complaint is that the room seemed to be infested with Mosquitos. My sister and I had buzzing in our ears at night and woke up with multiple mosquito bites. I know it wasn't bedbugs because we checked the mattress and pillows and there was no evidence of bedbugs. My next concern is that on my 2nd night there the cleaning people did not close my door after cleaning the room. I came back to my room clean but the door wide open. I had an iPad with me so this was a serious concern. When I tried to speak to the lady she acted offended and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Accidents happen but that's a serious concern when one is traveling. A 3rd issue I encountered was the plumbing. Our toilet wouldn't flush on 2 of the 5 nights. At this point I just asked for a new room but was told they would just fix it instead. To their credit, they did. However it didn't work again 1 nights later. The floor is also not very clean. I sat on the floor to arrange my luggage and when I stood up there was grey dust everywhere on me. The elevator was scary as every other review mentioned but it's also worth noting that the permit expired a few months ago. Overall I found my experience at this hotel to be stressful and borderline sickening. The front desk staff was friendly but the room just wasn't acceptable. If you're just looking for a cheap place in a great location then it may work for you. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone until they resolve these issues.

• Stayed July 2014