“A lot of luxury, a little funk”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #39 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“A lot of luxury, a little funk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

We stayed in the Hotel Monaco over Christmas and found the staff cheerful, engaging and helpful at every turn. In the welcoming, fireside public spaces and in the rooms, the decor is a little bit Alice, but it is more lively and lush than overwhelming. We chose a small suite which was a very comfortable size with a separate living room, but my mother's room was a bit small and over-stuffed with large furniture and no drawers into which she could unpack. She was comfortable however, because we could share the living room through a connecting door. Her canopy bed was a nice touch too.

The Monaco is located between the upscale Union Square and the downscale Tenderloin, so expect to see a mix of high-life and low-life on the streets. It is convenient to the Theatre District, transit, shopping and museums like SFMOMA.

The evening wine reception is a nice touch, and unlike most luxury hotels which charge a fortune for internet, you can get free Wi-Fi if you join their loyalty program. Parking fees in the city are not for the faint of heart, but you can save a little money by using a self-park garage around the block. Their brasserie Grand Cafe is upscale, hip and beautiful, but beware the slowest brunch in the world.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank thrall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

A perfect base from which to explore San Francisco. Good value for money, helpful staff, friendly touches and comfortable rooms.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yaynay
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

Honestly, I'm a one-issue hotel seeker: if the place has no bed bugs, it's fine with me. Monaco appears to have none after my diligent search of my room, so it passes on that front. But, I did have one annoying experience with the staff in the wee hours of a Sat. 9 April that was annoying. I ended up in SF for a week for a conference but was very ill with a cold the entire time. The rooms have no small coffee makers like many do. I rarely use this, but desperately needed one this time to make theraflu, which is the only cold-symptom medication that works well for me. I spent most of the week getting hot water (kindly given for free) from Starbucks across street. But at 4AM on Saturday morning, I coughed myself awake, couldn't sleep, & got desperate. I went down looking to see if the morning coffee I was promised at check-in was out yet. It wasn't. I explained to front desk how ill I was, showed them the theraflu packet I was desperate to make, and asked if they could please get me some hot water. Porter arrived in 15 minutes with hot water and no mug. I asked for one, the porter said: "You have glasses, see!" I said, "no mugs, nothing with a handle". He said: "You have glasses." and left. I felt the easiest way not to make trouble was to go back downstairs and to get one of the mugs I'd seen out in big stacks in the coffee area downstairs. I got one, the front desk started saying: "The porter will be there soon". I said: "Yeah, he came, but brought no mug for me; I came to get one". Answer: "Sir, don't take that mug. That's for a private function. You can't take that mug!" The guy kept yelling as I entered the elevator; I half-expected him to chase me up to my room to retrieve this mug I'd "stolen" from the private function. Now, this is an *empty* mug. It belongs to the hotel. I'm taking it back to my room, at the hotel! Do they really have so few mugs that I can't borrow one to prepare my cold medication at 4AM? He's really going to yell at a "mug stealing" customer at 4:30AM who's already told him that he's very sick and desperately needs to prepare some symptom medicine?
I realize fully this is one poor decision by a night staffer not thinking through the situation. One shouldn't judge the whole hotel on one incident like this. I'll get over this minor thing, but I'm also unlikely to stay here again anyway.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank AConferenceTraveler
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

The location of this hotel is great for tourists, and I'm sure this is the case with many hotels in SanFran, but the rooms are rather small. They do try to stock the rooms with a combination of modern and eclectic amenities, but the size and outdated bathrooms really limit them. They are clean though - not to worry. We didn't use the spa, but based on the pics, I regret not doing so. The best part though is the huge lounge adjacent to the lobby. We spent two nights at the hotel and each evening we (two couples) relaxed by the huge fireplace, drank wine, talked and laughed as if we were in our own living room.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor with an ice machine
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

This is a great hotel in a great location for a visit to San Francisco. The staff is impeccable. I stayed in one of the canopy queen rooms and had a comfortable night sleep each night. The only complaint I had about the room was that the furniture was arranged in kind of a strange way where it was difficult to watch TV from the bed; however, I was there for a pleasure trip and did not stay in bed watching TV much at all. Unfortunately, there were no dressers for putting clothes in that I wanted to unpack. This arrangement may be due to the small size of this particular room. Closet space was somewhat limited as well. This is probably one of the trade offs for staying in an older, historic hotel. Overall, I found the hotel to be excellent overall.

I wish I had taken advantage of the spa and wine reception while I was there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank magellan74
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

We stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and this hotel truly exceeded our expectations (Although we chose it because we absolutely LOVED the Kimpton Epic in Miami). The location was great - a short walk from the BART train in Union Sq. and right in the heart of their theatre district. We loved the decor which is full of charm and whimsy. The service was amazing! Every night, they had a free cocktail hour with free chair messages too - which was a great way to unwind at the end of the day! The concierge was sooo helpful with great tips and restaurant recommendations. They even went so far as to send us up Champagne on our anniversary, and on the night we checked out, a thank you gift with a handwritten note! This hotel is very pet friendly too, which we loved, but if you're allergic to dogs and cats, this is something to keep in mind. They even had a pet "concierge," an adorable golden retriever, there a couple days a week to greet guests! We also loved the fact that you could get a goldfish in your room (at special request), which adds to the real homey feel of this hotel. Their hotel restaurant is also very good. We had breakfast there one day and really enjoyed it.

This hotel is a total gem! It's a bit luxury and a bit of home right in the middle of a very hip city! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank preciosa919
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Stayed here last week for two nights and everything from the front desk to the rooms to the service were perfect. The lobby is exceptional and the rooms were imaculate. Almost a 5 star experience and an exceptional value for $225 per night in a suite. Will 100% be a repeat customer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business