“Very good (thanks to the staff)” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #37 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Very good (thanks to the staff)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

San Francisco has plenty of boutique hotels, of course... but after several visits, I've concluded that the options are not on the level where they should be. I'm all for historic hotels, but I wish that there were sleek, new, modern choices as well, at prices that aren't in the stratosphere. Also, the location of most of these places -- sandwiched between Union Square and the Tenderloin -- is convenient, but lacking in the charms that exist in other parts of the city.

With those qualifiers, I did like the Monaco very much. I am crazy about the Kimpton attitude, which IS fresh and energetic without being pretentious. And the staff members really exhibit a fun, can-do spirit. I needed a place to store my luggage the day before my check-in. No problem. Then I needed band-aids for a minor boo-boo. Done. Service delivered with kindness and a sense of humor. I love that.

The property has a beautiful lobby area and the entire place is in good shape, especially for its age. I didn't totally get the "Eye-talian" (as my grandmother would pronounce it) Bordello decor of my room, but whatever... I didn't spend much time in it. The bed was comfortable, Wi-Fi service was exceptional, the fitness room was OK... small. I'm still in search of properties in SF that are on par with Nine Zero in Boston, Casa Moderna in Miami or NYLO in Dallas... but I'd stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank George_PConnecticut
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear George_PConnecticut,

With 77 hotel reviews in 47 cities, you have a very impressive profile. And I sincerely appreciate you posting such an honest and balanced review of our property in San Francisco.

We want our guests to feel comfortable and not intimidated. We want you to return. We want you to tell your friends about us (in a good way). It sounds like you experienced our service just the way we intended it.

I will admit that I do not have any experience with Italian Bordellos. If that means eclectic, quirky, unique and fun, then that is exactly what we were going for. We have a pretty good library of accurate photos on our website, if people are curios.

I hope we do see you on a future visit.

Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Rosa, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I chose the Hotel Monaco for a one night stay with my teenage granddaughters for a shopping trip to remember. I wanted the room decor to be "SUPER COOL" and impressive to them. When we walked in, their reaction was "OMG! Gram, this is beautiful!!!" Soon after we settled in, the front desk sent up a champagne bucket with a bottle of sparkling cider on ice, along with a plate of fresh fruit and some chocolate treats. What a nice surprise! Charlotte, at the front desk, was so welcoming and friendly to all of us. The location is in the heart of the theater district and a short walk to Union Square, shopping and lots of restaurants, including The Grand Cafe within the hotel. I have stayed in many SF hotels over the years and this was my best experience so far!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Valerie S
Dear Valerie S,

I love that your granddaughters thought our décor was cool and that you looked pretty cool in the process.

Thank you for specifically mentioning Charlotte. I know she wants all of our guests to feel welcome.

Please do not hesitate to come back and stay with us. We are the perfect location for shopping in Union Square over the holidays. Hint. Hint.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Had a fantastic 4 night stay in San Francisco, Hotel Monaco was situated in a great location for exploring the city. With a short walk to Union Square or even getting the hotels curtesy bicycles to explore Golden Gate Park everywhere is accessible within a short period of time.
The hotel has a wine hour from 5-6pm everyday , a very sociable way to end your afternoon and meet other guests.
Our room was very comfortable and spacious .
Would certainly recommend this hotel and stay again if ever visiting the city again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ian C
Dear Ian C,

Thank you for writing such a nice review. I am glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our complimentary bikes we offer on a first-come-first-serve basis. They are a great way to explore the city.

Thank you, also, for recommending our hotel to others. We know we have done our job well when people are willing to tell others how much fun they had.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Wonderful hotel! We arrived long before check-in time, but our room was ready. Helpful, friendly staff. Room was well-appointed, though quite small, which suited us just fine. The spa in the lower level is really what distinguished this hotel from all the others, though. Super jacuzzi with dry and wet steam rooms. We would return just for that, if it came down to it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chowdapp
Dear chowdapp,

Please know that we are always happy to check our guests in early, if a room is available. If the hotel was full the night before, then it is not always possible. But, we will try our best.

Yes, we are very lucky to have a spa here with a sauna, steam room and whirlpool. Please come back and use it, again.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We researched a lot of hotels for our 3 night stay in San Francisco before deciding on hotel Monaco. Other reviews highlight some noise issues and homeless people in the area but we had no issue with noise and as for the homeless people it wasn't that bad. It is definitely much worse in other parts of the city.

The hotel had a free wine and nibbles reception between 5 and 6 each evening to allow guests to mingle. This was a great way to meet other travellers. We didn't eat in the adjoining grand cafe as it seemed expensive. Room was fine in size and all staff were friendly and helpful.
Free wifi was included in our stay which worked very well.
Hotel is a little dated but has a good central location and overall was good value

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony C
Dear Anthony C,

I am assuming you used TripAdvisor to do your research on potential hotels. I appreciate you writing a review after your experience so that people can be better informed when they choose their next hotel.

We do have a fun hosted wine reception each evening. Plus, we have our complimentary coffee and tea in the morning.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We loved our one night stay here. It was the 1st day of our honeymoon and we were staying for one night before proceeding to Napa. We were greeted with a complimentary bottle of bubbly. Room was clean and well appointed. The concierge gave us a FANTASTIC recommendation for lunch. We were happy and would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Allison D,

I think it is amazing that you only stayed here one night and you came away with so many positive experiences. We just wish you could have stayed with us for a few more days.

I hope the rest of your honeymoon was just as nice.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I spent Tue-Sat at Hotel Monaco in San Fransisco. I am loyal to the Kimpton family and this is their flagship location. The lobby is gorgeous and rooms are lovely. Service is always perfect and warm. The hotel is a short walk from Union Square and the shopping area near the Powell/Hyde cable car turnaround.

The only thing I would say is don't go another block into the Tenderloin or it gets sketchy (and I'm a New Yorker). Also, the restaurant at joining Kimpton (The Serrano) is much better than the one downstairs.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting an upscale San Fransisco experience near Union Square.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KristySW
Dear KristySW,

Thank you for the compliments on our décor and service.

We are adjacent to the Tenderloin and we are more than happy to direct our guests on which way they should go so that they don’t walk through any unpleasant areas.

We have recently simplified our menu at the Grand Café and I think people are really enjoying it. So, I hope you will give it another try.