“Prepaid room and they charged my incidental cc the full room rate before my stay was over, $1300 worth.”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #43 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I was staying on business, so the room was prepaid. When I checked in and provided a cc for incidentals, I asked and they advised the cc would NOT be charged.
3 days into my 5 day stay, they charged my cc the full room rate stay which was over $1300!
I went to the front desk and the night clerk took down my information. When I went down in the morning to check again, they were unaware of the situation. But said her manager would be in at 9:30. Daniel didn't arrive tell after 11am. The front desk lady Marisa sent the info to the accounting dept to get it straightened out. They only refunded $908 that day.
The other $400 was refunded the day we checked out.
Very inconvenient. If you don't want you money taken from you, check your bank statement when you stay here.
The rooms were bigger than the Sir Drake.
One bock up Geary and you are in The hood.
If your in San Francisco, you should spend the extra dime for the Westin or Marriott or some place closer to Union Square.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Vanrees
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Vanrees,

I am not exactly sure what happened during your stay, but we obviously made a mistake. I am truly sorry about that. This clearly created some undue stress for you. That is not how we want to operate. On a good note, I am glad we were able to rectify the issue while you were still staying with us. Again, please accept my apology and we will do our best to learn from this.

Jason Stone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We used the hotel as a base for our trip to San Francisco for 5 days. We found the room very comfortable and the facilities at the hotel were of a high standard. We used the restaurant for our breakfasts which were appetizing and filling -great for a days sight seeing. we also had one evening meal here that was of a high standard.
The proximity of the hotel to Union Square was fabulous for amazing restaurants, shopping, trams etc.
It was a perfect "home" while we visited this beautiful city

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jane T,

I am so happy to hear we were your “home away from home” while you were traveling and staying in San Francisco. Thank you for the nice compliments about San Francisco and our hotel.

seven valleys, pa
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have to say, the hotel lobby and on-site restaurant is beautiful. The rooms are clean. Some of the other common areas are in need of an update. I also have to say that I didn't love the location at all. Most Kimpton properties are located in pretty great locations with a lot of great restaurants and within walking distance of interesting places to see. This one - not so much. We were staying in San Fran for 5 nights, so booked a larger suite. Turns out it was in the front of the hotel. VERY noisy. I expect street noise in a large city, but there was also a VERY early morning warning to the homeless people to wake up. The second day we requested to move to a quieter location. We were offered a slight downgrade, which was a whole lot more quiet - but NO view (again, I don't expect much at all in a large city) but it was pretty dismal. Also, no rate adjustment was offered at all! On a positive note, the staff left a nice complimentary bottle of champagne and snacks for our arrival (an anniversary trip). The dinner we had on site was excellent. The hours for the bar did not suit, however - so we were unable to visit and comment on them.

I am also slightly miffed at the four billing errors upon checkout. While they were eventually resolved, it was a bit odd for me. Never had this issue at any other Kimpton... and I am still a bit perturbed that we weren't offered a rate adjustment despite the downgrade in accommodations.

If you are looking for more space and a slightly better rate - (we paid close to $400 a night) - then, by all means this could be a great place for you. I just think that we would have been better off at another of the many Kimpton locations in San Fran.

Please know that I always opt to stay in a Kimpton property when I have the choice. We've been at locations in Seattle, three locations in Philadelphia, all the ones in Portland, OR, VA, and more. NEVER have been disappointed before. This was just not the place for me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andi88
Dear andi88,

Overall, I am sorry to hear that the San Francisco Monaco was not your favorite Kimpton. We strive to do our best, but that sometimes does not line up with what our guests want.

It is always difficult for us to know who will think the suites on Geary are loud and who will not. When reading through the reviews on this site, it is totally mixed. We always want to do our best to accommodate our guest’s requests and I am glad to hear we were able to find a room that you felt was less noisy.

If you want to contact me directly, I would be happy to discuss your stay and if there is anything we can do to make you feel like your issues were resolved.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

A boutique hotel that is really great located about 2 blocks from union square. The hotel also had really good facilities with a decent gym, spa, and sauna for a boutique hotel of its size. It was also right opposite a corner shopping mart which you could buy essentials or a snack or drink.

rooms: neat, clean and tidy, average size for the cost and location. I had to do one room change as I had a room with a connecting door to another room and the noise insulation was non-existent on the connect door or walls. It was like I could hear everything in the other connecting room. Make sure you get a room with no connecting doors.
Service: very good and helpful all the staff.
Facilities: better than expected, very good for a boutique hotel, lobby area also had large seating and free coffee and tea and a nice huge warm fireplace. Very comfy. Also a wine happy hour in the afternoon.
Location: very good, just 2 blocks from union square.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with a connecting door to another room at all costs. There is limited to no sound insul...
Green Features: Good to know the hotel supports the environment with signage in the bathrooms for reuse.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear OzDiner,

Thank you for the compliments on our hotel, spa, gym and staff. It sounds like you were able to attend our wine reception while you were here. Hopefully, you were also able to try our coffee and tea in the morning. Plus, we have bikes that our guests are free to use when they are available. They are a great way to see the city.

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the feedback regarding the doors in the connecting rooms.

sydney
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have just left the hotel monaco San Francisco - we had a wonderful stay at the hotel as we were honeymooners they have us the back of the building so we didnt get the street noise and they also left a bottle of champagne which we didnt get to have due to jet lag ! The staff were amazing they were very helpful and always had the answers for us. We loved Jaspers restaurant just around the corner great food and great prices too - the only thing I can say I didn't like about the hotel was the menu it was a bit too fancy for my liking I feel there bar menu could if had some burgers or a more simple option. You are right in the heart of the shopping district and about a $15 cab ride to the pier - we tried to get the cable car but the lines were huge! I would highly recommend getting the free kimpton restaurant you will get free wifi with your log in and $10 to spend on the mini bar :)

• Stayed November 2013
Dear lauzb88,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials. And thank you for choosing us for your honeymoon. I am sorry you did not get to sample the champagne.

Thank you for pointing out that our bar menu is more simple than the main dining room and we do offer options like burgers. Plus, you can order from the full dinner menu at the bar, as well.

As you stated, if you sign up for our guest loyalty program, you do receive complimentary Internet and a $10 credit to the mini bar. And we will also send you e-mails (if you opt-in) with our best offers. Not a bad deal for a free program.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Was here for work..great spot..just a cab ride to great restaurants and shopping..friendly and very helpful staff..the atmosphere is wonderful..Rooms were warm and inviting and they have wine happy hour 5-6..good perk after a day of working.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in November for 3 nights. Well located for downtown, helpful staff and concierge. Rooms have been updated and are very nice and for a downtown hotel the rooms are nice and quiet. Only major gripe is the WIFI. You have to sign up to the marketing spam in order to get free wifi.

Message to the management- this is ridiculous. In any reasonable hotel nowadays you get free wifi, easily and instantly, having to sign up like that is taking the biscuit. You charge a lot to stay in your hotel (don't say oh well every hotel in SF does) and you could do better than try and reel me in to your marketing emails. It cheapens the "boutique" feel of the hotel and reflects poorly on your owners brand.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Midge651
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Midge651,

Thank you for the positive comment about the Hotel Monaco and the staff. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like signing up for our Kimpton InTouch loyalty program in order to receive complimentary wifi. There is the option to opt out of all of the e-mails, so that you will never hear from us. But, then you will miss out on our special offers and exclusive discounts.