“Exceptional Service”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #46 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is our fourth stay at Hotel Monaco. We keep coming back because we love this hotel, the exceptional staff and the location. But this time...they went above and beyond our expectations. This was a birthday & anniversary celebration which was expressed when I made the reservation. Upon our arrival, they upgraded us to a beautiful room. When we entered, they had put a heart shaped anniversary banner with a card on the bed. The champagne, I ordered, was there with fruit and chocolates. Needless to say.....she was so overwhelmed. She must of said "wow" at least 100 times. The staff, throughout our stay, were genuinely attentive and helpful. Hats off to Daniel, Johnathan and Gabby. Thank you for everything!!!! You are our hotel in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Best to have a room off the street.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Check in: Seamless. Reception area very nice. Car greeted by valets taking our bags. Being a Kimpton member, I was given a $10 credit on the mini bar and $30 off a massage. (Apparently the spa area is really nice – no pool, but big whirlpool). One can see bikes (of the Pee Wee Herman variety) available that are ready for the taking by guests. A dog bowl is set out in the entrance reminding us that this is a pet friendly hotel. The lobby is incredible in design and reminds me of a Venetian palace with a sweeping staircase and huge fireplace.

Room: We were in room 332. The view was nothing to talk about, essentially looking at the building across the road. The windows opened a crack, that was kind of nice. So often hotel windows never open. The rooms are well appointed, and the most impressive thing for me was a circular outlet device with lots of outlets on the desk – no searching for a place to charge our phones – all on the desk! How often do we plug our phones into out of the way places which can be out of sight, out of mind for the charger that might get left in the wall. Well, here, it is right on the desk in plain view. Loved it.

Because I am an Inner Circle member, I received $10 off the mini bar, $30 off a massage if I chose to have one, and on the second evening I received sparkling wine chilling, chocolate, nuts and a cheese plate. So nice! I had the same when I was in New York at the Muse. Lovely.
One note that I would make to the mini bar. I used my $10 by having a Heinken, which I gave to a guest in my room, and a Reese’s pieces bar. I am normally a wine drinker but the wine was priced at $24.00 for a bottle that was larger than a single serving, looked more like two servings to me, but not quite a half bottle. A beer was app. $6.00. I would have preferred to have a smaller bottle of wine at a lesser cost, like $10.

Amenities: leopard print robes, socks, yoga mat, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, etc. Notable that there is no coffee maker in the room, but there is a nice coffee station downstairs that serves coffee, tea and hot chocolate, complete with marshmallows and chilled whipped cream.
Nice things: The hotel has a cocktail hour between 5-6 and serves free drinks to guests. I personally find it hard to get back at that time with business, wish it was more like 5-7.
The concierge was always friendly and helpful. On our last day, he arranged a terrific limo service to take us to the airport with an older gentleman named Ivan, who was truly entertaining and we laughed our way to the airport. What a character. I am sure his reputation precedes him. It is worth it, it costs slightly more than a cab, but not by that much.

Location: One is near theatres, art galleries, and if one does not mind walking a few blocks, you can get to Union Square and the shops around there. There is a Walgreen’s drugstore right across the road and heaven knows that can come in handy if you miss anything.

In summary, another great Klimpton hotel in another great city. You cannot go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: We were in 332, and experienced no street noise, so don't be afraid of being on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 45DegreesNorth
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Just to provide you with a quick background: My wife and I are San Franciscans who wanted to take a weekend out and really enjoy what our city had to offer. Think spa, show (@ the Orpheum), dinner (Farrallon) and of course, nice living quarters for the weekend. And, we definitely got that and more at the Monaco!

We had spa appointments @ 11:00 am so we checked in our bags a bit earlier than check-in would allow us to. Totally agreeable.

Upon entering the spa area, we were greeted so kindly by one of our masseuses, Elizabeth. She checked us in and the remaining 2 hours was pure bliss. Between the couples' massages received as well as the private dressing/shower area, the steam and sauna areas as well as the hot tub, this was heaven on earth. I would be remiss not to mention that the massages received by Elizabeth and Leslie were some of the best we have ever had. Thank you for that. The robes! The robes?!?!? Where can I get one? Loved it!

Within two hours, our room was ready. We booked a junior suite via Orbitz. We were not disappointed. The size of the room exceeded our expectations. The decor was energetic, yet classy. We ordered room service on two separate occasions. The food --quickly brought to our room----did not disappoint. I also need to mention that the staff and service were non-nonpareil. Friendly from the second we arrived all the way to our departure. They memorialized my wife's birthday with chocolates and champagne (great touch!).

The next morning, we had breakfast at the Grand Cafe. It has been years since I have been here. I forgot how beautiful the space is. The price for the food was very reasonable. The portions were anything but frous frous. And the service was yet again, great! We will have to visit this place again.

This is just my .02. I didn't want to get into the exact details of every single aspect---you will find many reviews that provide that. . I can't wait until we meet again.

___________________

Rooms - * * * *
Service- * * * *
Spa - * * * *
Food - * * * *
Neighborhood - Like any other big city, be aware of your surroundings. Certainly helped that we are local. But explore! * * * *

____________________

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Room Tip: Ask! We asked for the typical 'high floor,' 'quiet,' 'away from the elevator'...
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed for 4 or 5 nights in December at Hotel Monaco and were very impressed.

First, all the staff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. Check in was very fast - we were up to our room in no time.

The room was lovely! I loved the decor. It was large enough and had a very comfortable bed and great blockout blinds. The bathroom was nice and sparkling clean. The toiletries provided were good quality and the towels thick and plush.

I loved that Kimpton InTouch members could use the wifi for free, the paper was delivered daily, they gave us a $10 minibar credit AND there was a wine hour each evening (we only made it once).

The hotel itself was beautiful, with a stunning Christmas tree in the lobby. It was a short walk to Union Station and generally a good location. We got a fantastic deal on booking.com (about 50% off the normal rate) as we booked early, and we are glad we did as it turns out there was a large convention in town which, closer towards our stay, bumped the price of the hotel up significantly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

When we checked in they told us, "We're a little quirky here!"--making us wonder what we should expect. Turns out great customer service is the norm, beginning with the friendly (and knowledgable) bellman, and extending to all the staff throughout the hotel. Our room was comfortable and cute, and what girl doesn't love an animal-print robe ready for her use? We parked our car (hefty $50/day parking fee, but that is the norm for SF) and used public transportation during our stay--found the hotel's location close to the cable cars, and within walking distance of many attractions.
An added plus is the restaurant attached to the hotel--we only ate breakfast here, but it was served quickly and was delicious!
This was our first time at a Kimpton hotel, and we will definitely return to this one!
Also--there is a SPA in the hotel, but sadly we did not have time to visit it.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Dropped my Smartphone outside of the hotel while in a hurry catching a cab to go to an appointment. The doorman remembered me and tracked me down. Walked the Smartphone to my location and hand delivered it. That is the epitome of customer service.

1  Thank David C
Reviewed 11 January 2014

What a wonderful stay at the Kimpton Monaco in San Francisco! Everything about our stay was great, yet made even better by the caring and wonderful staff. A simple thank you wouldn't really express how thankful I really am to the wonderful staff at the hotel. Daniel, Lauren and so many others were amazing! I've never felt more at home than this hotel.
Delicious coffee in the mornings, and wine from 5-6 PM in the lobby area ... everything was just great!
I will definitely return and stay here again and most certainly would recommend this hotel.