“did not meet my expectations”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #47 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Perhaps it was the plethora of 5 star reviews, or the wonderful photos, or my experience two weeks earlier on a biz trip to SF when I stayed at the Palomar..but my expectations were quite high for the Monaco.

I had booked a King room on an "upper floor" away from the elevator. I also elected for $15 to get an upgrade to a jr. suite. Well, when I arrived the "upgrade" had gone through, but, it was to a room on the second floor that was a handicapped room. The room had a funky shape and I asked for the original room - but it was not available. nor were any other suites. I was fairly upset, but stayed in the room for two nights. All in all I'd say this is a good place, but not worth the $350/night I paid.

good: GREAT restaurant, generally good service, short walk to Union square, good bar, fun decor

bad: misleading "upgrade", terrible pillows (we had to beg for down pillows after a night of limited sleep Friday), sketchy neighborhood

good hotel. Not 5 star, and only 4 star on a good day

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank spassmeister
Write a ReviewReviews (2,941)

Reviewed 30 September 2008

My weeklong stay was acceptable with an appearance of some charm if you went looking for it. The marble stairway was very striking but not funtional. Elevators were always waiting in the lobby. The weight room was locked when I tried to use it. I had a cause for concern if it was unlocked anyway as there is no security in this area. The goldfish bowl at the elevator landing was a friendly welcome home site. I am not a big TV watcher but need to stay in tune with the national news and weather reports before heading out. The national news was critical at time when the there was a national crisis unfolding daily. Being without a working remote for the TV and also not being able to manually change the TV from the HOTEL MOVIE ORDER SYSTEM to the regular channels for four days was a big inconvenience. I reported it four times. The last time I reported it, the request to change rooms or hotels appeared to make a difference. The bed was luxurious as I will probably order the comforter. The bathroom was kept up but not cleaned efficiently. Soap was not replaced during the week. No problem with the outside or hallway noise. Excellent WAKEUP call service from the staff at 5AM. I was not able to answer the phone because I awoke earlier and was in the shower at the time of the call. A staff member came to my door and knocked to ensure I woke up. Excellent friendly and helpful service from the vallet parking and front bellman. I would skip the restaurant as they messed up breakfast. This is not easy to mess up. Waiter as in a rush but only had two tables to wait on. He was too busy to listen to my order but what he brought out was okay so I ate it. Cloth napkins put lint all over my new dress. Potatoe Gallet was a grease sponge. Eggs Benedict was okay. The restaurant was very clean. This was a big difference from my former stays at the Hyatt and Hilton for the same price. Free internet was nice. The room was very nicely decorated and included a large safe. I think the maintenance dept. and the bad breakfast put this hotel in a bad light for me. Location: All good toward Union Square - not good to the West and South West.

7  Thank earhama
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Due to a convention in town we didn't get to stay at the Hotel Monaco our first night. They did put us up in another hotel that was not as glamourous and made it up to us by giving us a Suite for the rest of our stay and some champagne to celebrate our honeymoon. This hotel was exactly what I was looking for. The service was outstanding! From the front desk to the housekeeping. Every single employee we met was super nice. The housekeeping staff wished us a great day each morning. The room had 2 flat screen tv's, free wifi, and was VERY clean. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I would definetly stay here again. The location is in the heart of San Fran and just a few blocks from the BART/MUNI. I am a Kimpton fan for life.

1  Thank chiovatero
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The Kimpton chain is one of my favorites - they have great properties that are well-run, clean and nicely decorated. The Monoco in San Fran (and Chicago) are perfect for a fair price. The hotel staff is helpful, the food is great, the maid service is perfect. I can't say enough about how good Kimpton hotels are!

1  Thank PhileasFogg_Chicago
Reviewed 16 September 2008

From the moment we booked our room, we knew we had found a special hotel. The Kimpton group has done a beautiful job of restoring this majestic hotel into a whimsical delight that will please the senses.

The hotel staff is very professional and will go out of their way to make your stay a memorable experience. We met some of the nicest travelers who have made the Monaco their hotel of choice at the complimentary happy hour.

Our room was tastefully decorated in a whimsical theme of stripes and for the animal in each of us, the hotel supplied animal motif robes. The beds were so comfortable and the linens were of the highest quality.

PS I am not being paid for this review.

1  Thank Linnbada
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Stayed for a long weekend while attending a conference. I honestly can't think of any complaints! Our room was SPOTLESS. Very friendly and helpful staff, and we rarely if ever heard any noise while in our room. I guess the only thing I didn't *love* was that about a block in one direction, the neighborhood became a bit sketchy and I wouldn't want to walk around at night by myself. Overall, a very nice stay. Would stay here again.

1  Thank pdxmommytraveler
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I arrived at the Hotel Monaco quite jetlagged after a flight from Australia. Even though I arrived at midday, my room was ready and the check in process quick & corteous. My Suite faced onto Geary Street (2nd floor) but I found the room lovely and quiet and easily fell into a jetlagged sleep for the afternoon !
The room I stayed in was lovely - a separate lounge with TV, a huge plasma in the bedroom. Overall very clean and the furnishings unique, giving real character to the room, so it didn't feel like one of 1000 as the big chains can. The bed was divine - very comfotable and the bathroom beautifully appointed. I immediately felt very comfortable.

Strolling into downtown area was just an easy two block walk to Union Square past lots of lovely galleries & shops. The friendly Res staff gave me a map & suggested a walking tour.
Room service that night was great.

No complaints at all from me - the hotel was everything I expected and more - I'd definately recommend it.