“Lovely hotel but bring your earplugs”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #38 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
los angeles
“Lovely hotel but bring your earplugs”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

This hotel is a charming, well located boutique hotel. the staff was very helpful and i must say that i would definitely stay in a kimpton property again. my daughter loved the goldfish, the chocolates and the size of the suite we had. i loved the coziness and the amenities, but wished that they had served some sort of small appetizer or cracker to go with the wine at night.

okay...now for the earplug story, which is not mentioned here enough in other reviews...i have had many issues with the noise factor in san francisco...see my orchard hotel review. when i booked this hotel, i was very clear that i needed a room away from street noise. i was told the suites were quiet and high up off the street. i booked a suite. when i checked in, i was taken to the 6th floor (there are 7 in this place) . the suite faced the corner of two very busy intersections and the window was single paned so you could hear the honking and the noises very well. i brought one of the managers up to see if there was a window open and he said all of the suites faced the same direction and he would give me ear plugs if i needed them.

needless to say, the traffic really never died down and i got earplugs which allowed me to sleep. i was pretty upset that i had been so misdirected at booking but the manager was so nice, i let it go.

the key, i have learned for me in san francisco, is never, ever stay in anything but a tall hotel on a high floor so you can be high off the street and make sure the windows are double paned if you don't have a high floor. this just doesn't happen in new york city, where there is also a lot of street traffic. why is that?!

• Liked — charming and location
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank laurence3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Perhaps it was the plethora of 5 star reviews, or the wonderful photos, or my experience two weeks earlier on a biz trip to SF when I stayed at the Palomar..but my expectations were quite high for the Monaco.

I had booked a King room on an "upper floor" away from the elevator. I also elected for $15 to get an upgrade to a jr. suite. Well, when I arrived the "upgrade" had gone through, but, it was to a room on the second floor that was a handicapped room. The room had a funky shape and I asked for the original room - but it was not available. nor were any other suites. I was fairly upset, but stayed in the room for two nights. All in all I'd say this is a good place, but not worth the $350/night I paid.

good: GREAT restaurant, generally good service, short walk to Union square, good bar, fun decor

bad: misleading "upgrade", terrible pillows (we had to beg for down pillows after a night of limited sleep Friday), sketchy neighborhood

good hotel. Not 5 star, and only 4 star on a good day

• Liked — location, decor, restaurant
  • Disliked — staff, room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank spassmeister
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 September 2008

My weeklong stay was acceptable with an appearance of some charm if you went looking for it. The marble stairway was very striking but not funtional. Elevators were always waiting in the lobby. The weight room was locked when I tried to use it. I had a cause for concern if it was unlocked anyway as there is no security in this area. The goldfish bowl at the elevator landing was a friendly welcome home site. I am not a big TV watcher but need to stay in tune with the national news and weather reports before heading out. The national news was critical at time when the there was a national crisis unfolding daily. Being without a working remote for the TV and also not being able to manually change the TV from the HOTEL MOVIE ORDER SYSTEM to the regular channels for four days was a big inconvenience. I reported it four times. The last time I reported it, the request to change rooms or hotels appeared to make a difference. The bed was luxurious as I will probably order the comforter. The bathroom was kept up but not cleaned efficiently. Soap was not replaced during the week. No problem with the outside or hallway noise. Excellent WAKEUP call service from the staff at 5AM. I was not able to answer the phone because I awoke earlier and was in the shower at the time of the call. A staff member came to my door and knocked to ensure I woke up. Excellent friendly and helpful service from the vallet parking and front bellman. I would skip the restaurant as they messed up breakfast. This is not easy to mess up. Waiter as in a rush but only had two tables to wait on. He was too busy to listen to my order but what he brought out was okay so I ate it. Cloth napkins put lint all over my new dress. Potatoe Gallet was a grease sponge. Eggs Benedict was okay. The restaurant was very clean. This was a big difference from my former stays at the Hyatt and Hilton for the same price. Free internet was nice. The room was very nicely decorated and included a large safe. I think the maintenance dept. and the bad breakfast put this hotel in a bad light for me. Location: All good toward Union Square - not good to the West and South West.

• Liked — Linens and goldfish
  • Disliked — Mainentance department and disappointing restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
7 Thank earhama
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Due to a convention in town we didn't get to stay at the Hotel Monaco our first night. They did put us up in another hotel that was not as glamourous and made it up to us by giving us a Suite for the rest of our stay and some champagne to celebrate our honeymoon. This hotel was exactly what I was looking for. The service was outstanding! From the front desk to the housekeeping. Every single employee we met was super nice. The housekeeping staff wished us a great day each morning. The room had 2 flat screen tv's, free wifi, and was VERY clean. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I would definetly stay here again. The location is in the heart of San Fran and just a few blocks from the BART/MUNI. I am a Kimpton fan for life.

• Liked — The cleanliness and newness of the hotel
  • Disliked — I can't think of one thing I didn't like
1 Thank chiovatero
Chicago
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The Kimpton chain is one of my favorites - they have great properties that are well-run, clean and nicely decorated. The Monoco in San Fran (and Chicago) are perfect for a fair price. The hotel staff is helpful, the food is great, the maid service is perfect. I can't say enough about how good Kimpton hotels are!

• Liked — well-run hotel with great decor
1 Thank PhileasFogg_Chicago
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 16 September 2008

From the moment we booked our room, we knew we had found a special hotel. The Kimpton group has done a beautiful job of restoring this majestic hotel into a whimsical delight that will please the senses.

The hotel staff is very professional and will go out of their way to make your stay a memorable experience. We met some of the nicest travelers who have made the Monaco their hotel of choice at the complimentary happy hour.

Our room was tastefully decorated in a whimsical theme of stripes and for the animal in each of us, the hotel supplied animal motif robes. The beds were so comfortable and the linens were of the highest quality.

PS I am not being paid for this review.

• Liked — Too many to list
  • Disliked — No complaints from me
1 Thank Linnbada
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Stayed for a long weekend while attending a conference. I honestly can't think of any complaints! Our room was SPOTLESS. Very friendly and helpful staff, and we rarely if ever heard any noise while in our room. I guess the only thing I didn't *love* was that about a block in one direction, the neighborhood became a bit sketchy and I wouldn't want to walk around at night by myself. Overall, a very nice stay. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business