“Great hotel, great location”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #40 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Duffield, England, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights halfway through our holiday driving around California. Had a package inclusive of valet parking, so abandoned the car for our stay. Very friendly guy outside the door dealt with the car and luggage. While checking in we mentioned we'd had a pet goldfish called Fred while at another Kimpton hotel, the Marlowe in Boston, on a previous holiday. After putting our luggage in the room we set off up Taylor street and over Nob Hill to Fisherman's Wharf (a great walk & very steep in parts) & on our return found Fred junior in a bowl in our room, much to our son's delight. Very comfy room with all the things you'd expect (including the great animal print dressing gowns that Kimptons have): fridge, safe, ironing things, toiletries, snacks, coffee making etc. it's close to Union Square with all the shopping you might desire and where tour buses go from. The staff are all very courteous and helpful (great restaurant suggestion of Sear's Fine Dining) and Daniel on the desk went out of his way to look into why some of our accrued Kimpton points were missing from stays at other Kimpton Hotels. It's also a great spot on Geary Street for driving on route 1 along the coast as that begins at the end of the road!

1 Thank Sharon J
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Sharon J,
I love it when people get a chance to experience several Kimpton locations on their travels. I am happy to hear that we consistently delivered a great experience. It sounds like Fred Jr was a big hit. Thanks for also pointing out Daniel’s “above and beyond” customer service.
Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco during our first trip to San Francisco. It was absolutely wonderful. I only wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is great. Everyone we came in contact with was friendly and helpful. We booked a regular king room but received a complimentary upgrade to one of the junior suites. It was a gorgeous huge room. This was a total surprise to us and a really nice treat. Since we missed the wine tasting earlier in the evening we were also given tickets to receive two complimentary glasses of wine in the hotel bar. This was a very nice gesture and much appreciated. We also received some other coupons for various discounts that we would have used if we were staying longer. Lauren at the front desk provided us with the names of several restaurants within walking distance and then made us a last minute dinner reservation.

We really enjoyed our stay and I would definitely return. I also plan to check out other other Kimpton properties next time I travel. I do wonder why they are renovating the Grand Cafe though. From what I was told the renovations will be quite significant. The restaurant is lovely and full of many historical architectural details. It is unfortunate that this historically significant property will be totally redone. Hopefully many of the old details will be incorporated into the new design.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Arlo6,
Thank you for all of your kind words. Please stay tuned for more information regarding the renovation of our restaurant and some new meeting space and some new guest rooms. We are incredibly excited. We will definitely be retaining certain elements.
Buellton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I did a lot of research looking for a hotel suite for our family vacation in San Francisco. The Hotel Monaco was a perfect choice. What friendly and delightful staff. Room size was good for family of 4. I will miss the Grand Cafe, where we had great food and drinks, but I will make sure to come back to see their new offerings.

1 Thank Stefanie S
Dear Stefanie S,
We already miss the Grand Café. After 19 years, it was very difficult to say goodbye. We are looking forward to our new design, etc. But, we will always look back on the past two decades fondly.
Watertown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I arrived here from a longer then usual flight from Boston bleary eyed, tired and hungry. I was greeted at my cab by the nicest guy named Eddie. Just as sweet and gracious as can be. Then on to walking in and meeting James, who is the floor manager. What a gem. Lauren behind the front desk (I'll get to that in a sec), Daniel who was with her, Benji, who helped me with my bags, and Wilfredo who served me lunch.

So, here I am, bone tired, and Lauren, the lovely front desk person, said "your room is ready, but if you don't mind waiting and allow us to spoil you, it will just be a little longer" What? YES! WOW. Who does that? Well, they do!! So, I dragged myself into the their bar/dining room, The Grand Cafe Brassierie and Bar, and Wilfredo whisked over some delicious sour dough bread, set me up immediately with a menu and recommended and delivered the most delicious Tuna Nicoise salad. OMG fresh. Then, I moved back out to the lobby, where Benji brought me a pillow to put behind my head and back so I would be comfortable while I waited for the room that they upgraded me at for no reason, just cause and for no extra cost. Benji then comes over to hand me a gift card for two free cocktails at the bar during my stay. Then Daniel not only announces in way less time then it should have taken, in the sweetest voice with the nicest smile, "your room is ready. may we take you there now". Now comes James again, who whisked my bags up and gave me a list of every wonderful amenity that this awesome hotel offers. (Daniel, did you think I wouldn't sparkle when you reminded me of complimentary wine hour from 5-6).

I have stayed in a lot of hotels, for business and pleasure and this is hands down the most unreal, unbelievable, incredible, phenomenal service I have ever, EVER received.

Oh, and the room I'm in is just freaking gorgeous!

My new go to place as I'll be visiting San Francisco more often!!

You guys ROCK!!! Pinch me. I'm dreaming. Swoon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Leslie S
Dear Leslie S,
We know that our guests sometimes have to go through a lot even before they get to us. Long flights. Uncomfortable airplane seats. Traffic. Delays. So, when you get to us, we want to help you relax and forget all of the negative things. We aren’t always able to do this, but we try. We can’t wait to have you come back and stay with us. I just hope we haven’t set your expectations too high.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Monaco was a great place to stay. Staff is friendly and helpful-as mentioned in other reviews-great fast elevators. We loved having the goldfish in the room. The fridge was crammed with expensive mini-bar items and we did have to move everything around carefully to put in some drinks we bought at the Walgreens across the street. The restaurant looked good, but too expensive for us. I thought they had a breakfast, but it was only coffee-good coffee, though. Nice evening reception for wine drinkers. Lots of good restaurants and shops to walk to.

Room Tip: Don't expect breakfast-and the evening reception is wine only.
Green Features: Great-we appreciated it. Very nice to have recycling available.
1 Thank PennyMy
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear PennyMy,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Please know we are happy to empty the minibar/minifridge for you, if you would like to store your own items in there. No need to move everything around. And we always have a non-alcoholic beverage available at the hosted manager’s wine reception. Sadly, our restaurant of almost 20 years is closing at the end of this month. But, we will be excited to open something new and exciting in 2015.
NW US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from a family trip to San Francisco. This hotel could not have been more perfect. The lobby and main areas are lovely. The room was beautiful, large, and perfect for our family of four. We arrived several hours before check-in with the expectation of asking the front desk to hold our bags, but our room was already ready for us. I booked this room directly through the Kimpton website and paid less for this gorgeous suite than what was advertised anywhere for a double room, using Kimpton's "Stretch the Weekend" rate. Our suite was gorgeous and we had a great city view out of the two large windows with window seats. I can't say enough about how much we loved the style/decor of this hotel and the room. The location of this hotel is absolutely perfect. It is two blocks away from the center of everything, but not up the hill toward many of the union square hotels in which uphill walking would be necessary every time you came back from an outing. Those two blocks that you will walk toward the hotel from union square felt absolutely safe, even late at night with our family, because there were plenty of people out and about at all times. There are a few very interesting small art galleries along those two blocks, which were fun to check out along the way. Lots of shopping and restaurants are nearby. Cable cars, buses, and BART are accessible within a 5-10 minute walk. Everyone we encountered at the hotel were friendly and professional. The wine hour was fun and we actually were surprised to time ourselves accordingly to participate a couple of times. We had a fantastic time in this beautiful and unique city and already have decided we will need to plan a future trip.

2 Thank summerinplaya
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Close to Union Square and Market, this is nice hotel with the typical Kimpton amenities that make a business trip that much more comfortable. Staff was super friendly and my room was perfect--eclectic and cute, but not too over the top. Common areas were nice, and I even managed to make it to the complimentary wine hour with one of my coworkers, which was great.

Not so great was the hotel restaurant--we had a rather sub-par lunch there. But there are tons of restaurants around, so don't let that be a deterrent to your stay--just utilize the concierge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelerZLosAngeles
Dear TravelerZLosAngeles,

I am sorry to hear about your experience in the restaurant. That is definitely not what we intended. We will be closing our restaurant at the end of this month. After almost 20 years of service, it is time for a change. Look for more information at the end of this year.