“A Good Night's Sleep”

GreenLeadersBronze level
boston
“A Good Night's Sleep”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We combined our family's summer vacation with college visits in California and started the adventure on August 12th in San Francisco. Four of us stayed in a suite at Hotel Monaco for one night, including my husband and our two teenagers.

Pluses:
- Helpful, courteous staff
- Comfortable beds and thick walls/curtains made for a comfortable sleep, helped also by air conditioning
- Layout of the room (Size isn't too bad considering you are in the city)
- Chilled citrus water in the front lobby
- Overall decor (Lobbies, "living room," room decor and small touches like fun robes)
- Morning coffee and juice bar (We missed the wine reception, which sounds lovely.)

Disappointments:
- As others have mentioned, the neighborhood has seen better days. Our teenagers, who often rush out to explore without us when we travel, decided to stick around the hotel.
- The "breakfast" line reminded me of lining up for rations at summer camp.
- This is a nit, but the grout/caulking in the bathroom tub needed a pick-me-up

Bottom line: A good night's sleep at a high price. The hotel is just fine for families, but waterfront options may better even better for travelers with children and teens.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lisa028
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear lisa028,
Thank you for such a comprehensive review with both the positive and the negatives. We appreciate all feedback and we always know we have room for improvement. I know you were only here with us for one night and I hope you can come back next summer for a longer stay.
Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridge NZ
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Great location to Union Square and many tourist attractions. We had a car and parking was easy at a near by car park, $25US per day. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. Had a room on the top floor 7. Rooms were clean and tidy, bed good except the pillows - needed to ask for softer flatter pillows. Internet free and most of the time worked really well.
Unfortunately we were not aware the restaurant and bar was closed due to being refurbished. The noise from the construction work was heard in our room, and was not nice when my husband was trying to have a rest in the afternoon or do some work. When discussed with the gentleman at the front desk he was very good and explained why they had not advised us of the situation ( we booked via Expedia) and was able to give us a discount. Thank you.
Breakfast was not a good experience. Our allocation was one pastry or scone and one piece of fruit per person plus juice and coffee. First morning we arrived a few mins after 9am (9:03) and they had already packed away everything and there was no offer of getting anything for us.
For anyone not use to big cities be aware in this area there are many street people begging or just in their own little world.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RippeyCambNZ
Dear RippeyCampNZ,
I am sorry to hear you did not know our restaurant would be closed. It has caused some noise in the hotel. We will all be happy when the work is finished and we have our restaurant back.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay a night in San Fran for a night while on our way to Monterey. The hotel was super welcoming and friendly. The rooms were tight but really cool and clean. I was really happy to see how close it was to union square. We walked and walked and loved our visit.

This hotel is a no brainer

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Una L
Dear Una L,
I am glad to hear you had a nice stay in our hotel. San Francisco is a walking city and definitely the best way to see the city. I hope you can come back.
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was my first trip to San Fran so I didn't know what to expect, but I did expect more. This hotel was great even though the room was smaller than some I have stayed in NYC! The staff was friendly and accommodating at the hotel and restaurant. They even had a wine hour with snacks, which was a nice touch. My complaints come from the area the hotel was in which was awful and filled with drug users. If I went back I would recommend staying by the wharf. Overall I felt disappointed by the city, but thankful I had a great place to stay each night and was glad I spent the extra money!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amplexusomnium
Cold Ash, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is a great hotel in a fantastic location right by union square.

The staff on the desk and the transfer driver were friendly and helpful Rooms were clean and well decorated.

What did disappoint me was that the hotel as shown on hotels.com are of the hotel how it used to be - with a highly rated restaurant and bar attached. If we had known that there would be no room service or bar in the hotel we would have probably gone elsewhere. It's more like a 3 star hotel without them but still at 5 star prices.

The breakfast service laid on to try to compensate was poor - with a grumpy attendant handing out the two pastries per person and the self-service orange juice and coffee often all gone.

In summary - when / if they have a proper restaurant and at least room service back then I'd recommend it, but until then there are better options.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Peter E
Dear Peter E,
I am so sorry to hear that you were not aware that the restaurant would be closed during your stay. It has been difficult for us to get that information out to everyone. The pastries we have been offering in the morning are just a way to hold people over until they can find a more proper breakfast. The complimentary breakfast has been a lot busier than we expected and we have been working to improve it. Our restaurant will be completed in January of 2015 and we hope you will come back then to try it.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is centrally located, just near Union Square and Market St. The BART subway (Powell St) is close by and the Moscone Conference center is about half a mile on foot.
There are plenty of shops, restaurants, banks and pharmacies surrounding the hotel, plus parking garages and a couple of car rental companies.

Although in a busy area, I didn't hear any outside noise with rooms clean, comfortable and quiet. They were spacious with en-suite bathrooms (something many San Francisco central hotels don't have as standard).

The wifi was fast and reliable - free when you signed up for their rewards program. The minibar was well stocked and they had a good list of complimentary products (toothpaste, deodorant, coffee) that the staff brought to my room very promptly. My only wish was to have a coffee marker in the room as standard so I could've made tea/coffee at my convenience.

The hotel did serve complimentary tea/coffee and fruit/pastries in the morning and offered a wine hour in the evening which was an added bonus! I didn't use the gym facilities but having a yoga mat and yoga/pilates TV channel in the room was excellent.

The staff were all very friendly, polite and professional. I will definitely stay again if I return to SF.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Victoria R
Dear Victoria R,
I am happy to hear you had such a nice visit with us. We think our room are well insulated from noise, but some people are more sensitive than others. Overall, I am thrilled that you would stay with us, again. Let us know in advance of your arrival and we can have a coffee maker in your room.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Many thanks to the staff at Hotel Monaco, especially Marisa and Eddie for making our stay so enjoyable. As requested, there were rose petals scattered around the room and it looked even better than I thought it would!! We knew there wouldn't be a restaurant/bar coming in, so that was no big deal, and motivated us to check out more eating establishments. The Waterbar was a great place to celebrate our anniversary, but we found a little gem called Nob Hill Cafe that had the BEST bread and pasta I've had in a long time.

Room Tip: Choose a suite