“Sketchy, but great location”

Howard Johnson San Francisco Marina District
Ranked #188 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Buffalo, New York
“Sketchy, but great location”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The neighborhood is excellent and I loved staying in the Marina district as it was in walking distance to so many great bars, restaurants, and close to a lot of the touristy things we were hoping to do. I'm happy we stayed in the neighborhood but unfortunately, but if you can afford to book elsewhere, stay away from the HoJo. Upon arrival, I thought I was walking into a parking garage. It's a little frightening, especially in the dark. The rooms aren't very clean-feeling and it has the vibe of an hourly type place. There was a very cute 60's-ish place a block away that looked much nicer with "Motel" in bright lights so try that one if you can!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Let me start by saying I am not a clean freak or a germ a phobic type of person. This is by far the worst hotel for cleanliness that I have ever booked. The first thing I do when I check into a hotel is throw back the covers on the bed and check it. Doing this here I found the sheets to have not been changed. They were wrinkled beyond wrinkled and wait for it..there was semen stains still on the sheets. There was also a mascara stain on a pillow case. I took pictures as I couldn't believe it. So right then I called the front desk and stated this. They said do you want to cancel your reservation. Here in lies my problem I am not from the States, I am not from a big city, it was late at night and I had been driving all day and was exhausted so I said no but can you please change the sheets. As I was waiting for them to come up and do this I started looking around. The tub had a lot of mold in it. There is no way I was stepping into that to take a shower. The towels were a very dingy grey. Not sure I would want to dry off with those either or use them to wash my face with. There was toothpaste splatters on the mirror and what appeared to be goo from someone flossing their teeth also on the mirror. The dust was extreme on the surfaces. Now they came up and changed the bed. The new bed sheet had a big hole in it and stains on it as well, although they had been laundered and were crisp looking. We had booked through hotwire so when the gal left I called hotwire and was told because I had checked in there was nothing they could do for me. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. Finally they worked it out for me and got me another hotel of course for money, but I would have slept in my rental car if they had not of. I would give this room a rate of zero if I could but 1 is the lowest you can go. The area didn't feel the safest to me but I only there for about an hour. The sad thing about this is that this hotel will continue to be rented out without improvement because people are caught once they pay and they don't have anywhere else to go. I tried using the internet that was "free" to find another hotel but it was so unreliable that it wouldn't work. So I called hotwire and had to just go on what they were telling me. The NEXT HOTEL was so clean you could eat off the bathroom floors ...Really.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 2Jojo4U

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This location is extremely unsanitary, upon entering the room I was bombarded with a musty mildew smell. The bedding had not been washed prior to arrival, I could smell the previous persons body odor on the pillow cases and when I pulled back the cover I discovered urine all over the bed (the lady on duty tried to convince me it was coffee, but the smells are quite distinct). We moved to another room in hopes that it would be better, however, the floors were completely ruined from water damage as were the walls. There were gaping holes between the wall and the baseboard (large enough for mice and other critters to make their entrance). No hot water. Just plain filthy. The front desk person was not helpful and continued to attempt to justify the state if the rooms. I honestly feel as though the owner is a slum lord. He invested in flat screen tv's for the room, but failed to repair the water damage to the floors and walls or invest in a good cleaning service.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in this area around the same price head over to la luna down the street
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 944TaraG
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 November 2013

. . . and I have stayed at some bad hotels. There were holes in the bathroom walls, stains on the sheets, stains on the pillow cases, towels looked like they had been used as a diaper, the room smelled like someone died there, and hoodlums in the open breeze way outside the room all night long. I canceled my stay for nights 2-4 as soon as I saw the room. Didn't really have an option for night #1 other than sleeping on the street and that may have been a better option. HOJO is a NOGO.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TakeMyAdvise2013
Arlington
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had previously stayed at the Wyndam in Medford, NJ. It was suberb, this was not. I had remembered HJ hotels from years ago and they were always good. This one ought to be torn down, it was one step above a dump. The whole place needed a good scrubbing and a painting. The towels felt as if made of cardboard.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends