“inbetween golden gate and the front”
Review of La Luna Inn

La Luna Inn
Ranked #156 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Blackburn
“inbetween golden gate and the front”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

very cheap and very pleasent , room very nice - just what we needed . .

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 31 December 2010

As an 18 year old solo female traveler on a tight budget I figured I would not be able to get anything decent or in a safe location for my money but I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I read a lot of reviews and was worried about the loud traffic at night because I am a light sleeper but I ended up sleeping incredibly well. In fact, it was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. They helped me navigate public transportation and gave me restaurant recommendations upon arrival. The room itself is basic, so if you are a picky traveler or need a lot of pampering this isn't your place. Bathroom supplies hair dryer, soap, shampoo and plenty of towels. I wish there had been a tub instead of just a shower stall but water pressure was good in my room at least. Personally, it was everything I needed. I didn't even bother to check the continental breakfast because there were so many restaurants down the street. Bus stops and a Walgreens right across the street. Don't recommend hanging near the bus stop after dark but the hotel itself felt very safe. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lexyandra792
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We stayed for 3 nights this September and overall feeling is just fine.
But...1 bag containing all kinds of goodies,from Finland to our friends in Phoeninx,went missing from our room.Reception staff didn't think much of it,got the feeling that housekeeping can throw away-or steal-anything they think is trash.Even when your stuff is NOT next to the trashcan.Mailed to management as well but they didn't bother to reply at all. So otherwise nice place but will not go again due to their indifferent attitude towards my property.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Stayed 3 nights in November.
Nice clean room at the back (away from traffic) and didnt hear a thing all nights there (we did have the fan running). Carpet was a bit bare, facecloths a little dingy looking, couple of cracks in paint on walls but all were minor issues.
Beds were comfortable, fridge in room, no room-safe, stand up showers, wireless internet, free parking and light breakfast included.
Paid $70/night all in and thought it was well worth the money. The only complaints I would make are 1-the wireless internet was pretty much useless, dropping constantly (I do I.T. support for living and was frustrated) and 2-they let their maid/maintenance staff eat with guests during light breakfast. Guests were lining up at the toaster waiting for the staff to finish making/eating their breakfast. Staff should eat before or after guests in my opinion. Breakfast was pretty basic, toast/oatmeal/oranges....enough to get your day started but not much more.

Counter staff were great, answered all kinds of questions from us and printed off attraction tickets and our boarding passes whenever we asked. Would definiotely stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cdnmr
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2010

La Luna is a refurbished old concrete motor inn. The rooms are of average standard and with basic facilities. It is like an upmarket backpackers hotel. Staff are great, very helpful and make up for some of the points lacking at the hotel.

Unfortunately Lombard street is a major thoroughfare and traffic noise is horrendous no matter where in the hotel you stay. The surrounding area is a combination of pleasant and unpleasant, if you take a wrong turn it could be time to surrender your wallet to a stranger. Lombard street, like most of San francisco is ruined by aggressive beggars, drug addicts and other miscreants intent on harassing anyone. Expect abuse and threats from most, the local police were noticeable by their total absence at any time day or night.

Overall I have stayed in some crime ridden cities, but this is the only one where I felt unsafe both in the hotel and on the streets.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Escape18
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The room was nice and clean. The free parking was wonderful. - but it worked for us for 1 night. Took a great walk for some cool sites!

The breakfast was toast so don't too excited about that :)

Man at the front desk helped us navagate the public transport. All and all, a pleasant suprise!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bflogr1l
Ft Worth, TX
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My siblings and I booked La Luna for its proximity to Kaiser Hospital where my Dad was having surgery. I can not tell you how pleased we were with booking La Luna which was an unknown hotel to us. First off, great location. It's right in the heart of the Marina District and very close to the Golden Gate Bridge. There are many restaurants, pubs, grocery stores, movie theaters, and liquor stores within walking distance. Also, a Walgreens is right across the street. The help at the front desk was second to none. I didn't get all of their names but one front desk worker stood out. His name is Kabul and he was amazing to us. The room was very comfortable and I would recommend requesting a room in the back if possible. Parking is FREE! Yes, there IS free parking in San Francisco afterall!! The bedding was very comfortable, a medium sized fridge was in the room and the water pressure in the shower was perfect. Breakfast was just toast/english muffins, juice and fruits, but still good. And for the $$$, you CANT beat it. Thank you La Luna! Our family will recommend this hotel to anyone who asks, and we WILL be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family