I travel to San Francisco on business several times each year. My company is located in the Presidio and my usual hotel was full so I decided to stay at the Marina Motel for 5 nights earlier this month. The first thing I would like to say is how very friendly and helpful every employee was, from the front desk staff to the maintenance and housekeeping staff. Unfortunately, the motel itself didn't give them much to work with. The motel is very aged and the rooms are incredibly small. The entryway was very narrow and I couldn't open the closet door without closing the bathroom door first. There was no heat in the bathroom and the sole radiator in the room was small, hidden in the far corner of the bedroom and didn't put out enough heat, even at the highest setting to adequately warm the bedroom let alone the bathroom. It also seemed that there were long periods of time when the heat must have been turned off as no matter how high I turned it, no heat came out.
I brought the normal electronic devices with me - a laptop, smartphone and Nook. However, the room had only two outlets with a web of extension cords that were already taken by lamps, the TV, mini-fridge, etc. To plug in my devices I had to dig around under the night stand and unplug the clock radio or coffeemaker to plug them in. The room didn't have a desk or work area and using my laptop in the evening proved difficult and uncomfortable. The mini-fridge was a nice touch and included in the price of the room. However, it was positioned in a corner and opened in such a way that to get the door opened, I had to move the one chair in the room out of the way. Oh, and there wasn't an ice bucket or ice machine anywhere to be found. After I asked at the front desk, I was told they could fill an ice bucket for me and I could carry it across the courtyard to my room when I wanted ice. Not very convenient.
The bathroom was very hard to use effectively. There was no counter for my toiletries. There was a medicine cabinet over the sink but the shelves were so narrow that none of my travel-size toiletries could be stored vertically. There also weren't any tissues in the room. Thank goodness I'd packed a travel sized box that I could use during the week. The last straw was when the toilet backed up the first night. The maintenance staff had gone home but the front desk attendant came right up to plunge it. He was very sweet but managed to flood the bathroom floor before he was able to fix the toilet.
If you are looking for a bargain room in a nice location and don't expect much in return, this is definitely the motel for you. However, if you are a business traveler like me, you can do much better at the same price. I suggest the Cow Hollow Motor Inn 3 blocks down. They actually charge less for their rooms and are much, much nicer. Book early though as they fill up quickly on busy weeks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Hotel in San Francisco, California Founded by the son of a Calfornia Gold Rush miner, the Marina Motel was built to celebrate the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge in the late 1930's. Designed as one of San Francisco’s first “motor-hotels” for the dawning of the automobile age, each room in this quaint Mediterranean-style motel has a private garage beneath the rooms, (courtyard garages are subject to size restrictions so guest are directed by the front desk to choose a garage that best fits their vehicle). Our 36 guestrooms and three suites are uniquely decorated with warm, stylish touches to make you feel at home. Our quaint courtyard, surrounded by colorful cascading flowers and a cobblestone driveway, offers a relaxing place to chat with friends. Flower boxes overflowing with fragrant blossoms adorn the windows adding European cottage charm. San Francisco’s top attractions are located within walking distance or a short bus ride from the Marina Motel The Marina Motel is still family-owned and operated today by the original owner’s granddaughter. For the past 70 years the Marina Motel has provided a beautiful and friendly place to stay while visiting San Francisco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and getaroom.com so you can book your Marina Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Motel San Francisco
- Marina Hotel San Francisco