“Pretty”

Sutro's
Ranked #328 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Great Highway
Transit: SF MUNI: 38 Geary
New Mexico
“Pretty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

It was good to see it. I would like to see it from up close next time and maybe at sunrise on sunset. And we saw it from up above at the Cliff house

Visited April 2014

Raleigh, NC
“Average Food / Blah Service / Incredible Views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were visiting family in SF in late May and they set up for a family brunch/lunch at Sutro's. We went while there was the 'taste of SF' restaurant week and honestly, I could not have been more disappointed as an out-of-town visitor. The options for the meals and desserts were at best, ordinary. I chose the tortellini and it was oily and I ended up using the ladies room about 3 times before we left. Enough said.

No one at our table raved about our food except my 10-year old nice that LOVED the mac n cheese. A place like Sutro's should do much better than a 10year old loving a basic dish. The dessert that received the most comments was the butterscotch pudding for dessert and yes, it was phenomenal. But not enough to wow us or win us back in the future.

The views were incredible and it was a pleasure to sit and look out at the Pacific Ocean. At times, we did feel as though we were looked down upon for having children with us for lunch. I went along with this choice to eat at Sutro's since I am the out of town family and didn't have a choice. But there are no changing tables in the rest rooms and the first high chair we were given for my 10 month old was broken. I have an even tempered 10 month old so really there were no issues and I was able to order from the children's menu for him. The waiter was a bit pretentious and when he did acknowledge me, he was so blah and dull and you could tell overly annoyed that a large family party (8 adults and 4 kids) were there. We had a sizeable bill and pretty well behaved children and I just think they could have shown a bit more "care" as a wait staff overall.

Next time I will go back and enjoy the views from outdoors but skip the over-priced food that was pretty blah.

• Visited June 2014
No. VA
“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had dinner at Sutro's and it was excellent! Not only was the food wonderful, the scenery was great! The servers were very friendly and helpful, and made some really good recommendations. The food was delicious! They had salmon with a bacon crusting on it that was outstanding! I'd highly recommend it!!

• Visited June 2014
Brooklyn, NY
“Charming, scenic spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a very handsome place with great water views. The recent lunch we had was very good. Ingredients were fresh and well prepared. The soft-shell crab sandwich was excellent and highly recommended. Lobster bisque was also delicious.

• Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“Special occasion restaurant: view, food, service - very nice.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is only my second time to go to Sutro's restaurant although I've been to the more casual Cliff House Bistro upstairs many, many times. We went for a friend's birthday celebration and it looked like a lot of people were there to celebrate one thing or another. The menu is actually much smaller than the one upstairs, totally different. It was seafood-centric and more upscale, changes daily. We ordered the burrata salad, half a dozen oysters, crab cakes and everything tasted great. The wine list was adequate and the chef has special cocktails but I do like their Bloody Mary. Service was very satisfactory, it took me a few tries to get the table that I wanted. Last, but definitely least: the view from here on a beautiful day (we lucked out yesterday, it was windy but sunny) is spectacular - you can see the Seal Rock and Sutro Baths.
Remember: parking is scarce so plan to get there earlier, I was informed that valet parking is available after 5pm, wish it would start at 11am!

• Visited May 2014