“Terrific soul food on near Union Square shopping”
Review of Farmerbrown

Farmerbrown
Reserve with OpenTable
Farmerbrown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #407 of 5,800 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Cross street: Market Street
Transit: Located on the cusp of Union Square and the Tenderloin, farmerbrown is convienent to reach by bus, BART (Powell Station is one block East on Market St.), and Muni.
Description: We are a destination where good things gather: locally-sourced seasonal ingredients, west coast freshness and time-honored southern recipes from the Creoles to the Carolinas, artful and seasonally celebrated cocktails that blend well with fresh beats. All come together to define modern Americana cuisine. With an ambience that mixes true southern providence and generosity of spirit with the heart of San Francisco, you feel native in an instant — welcomed as a member of the family.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Went with a few friends last weekend and found the food to be fresh, delicious and soulful!

We started at the bar as we had arrived about a half hour before our reservation. No problem here as they are preparing wonderful, original, drinks. The Indigo punch with
cucumber vodka, blackberry juice, pavan muscat liqueur, apple cider,tumeric nectar, lemon, peychaud's bitters, tonic in a Mason Jar was really tasty, refreshing and fun!

We were seated on time by friendly staff in a comfortable corner of the restaurant. Our waiter was attentive and made appropriate recommendations.

Our group of 6 shared several appetizers, including the gumbo and smoked salmon croquettes (which were the table favorite).

I had the bbq ribs as an entree with mac and cheese and they were fall-off-the-bone delicious.
I also had samples of the fried chicken and catfish. Both were perfectly fried, juicy and tender.

The food is heavy but that's to be expected! Come with an appetite and prepare to leave content and satisfied.

I'll be going back soon for my own order of the fried chicken dinner and more mac and cheese!

1  Thank Markculk

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I very much enjoyed the food at Farmerbrown. I had the BBQ baby back ribs to start - absolutely stunning. Loads of succulent meat on these ribs and they come with a lovely jalapeno coleslaw on the side. For my main course I opted for the shrimp & crawfush jambalaya which was just the right portion size. No huge American-sized portions here but that is, by no means, a criticism. I would reserve just one grumble: my friend's main course arrived about five minutes after mine. I find this a cardinal sin when it comes to restaurant service. However I'd thoroughly recommend despite this one flaw.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The food at farmerbrown was excellent. I had bbq baby back ribs with bbq sauce on the side and creamy jalapeño coleslaw as a starter followed by seafood gumbo with snapper, salmon and shrimp for my main course. The ribs were tender and the portion size was just right for an appetiser. The gumbo was also very good, well seasoned with a good amount of spice. The strawberry butter that accompanied the cornbread was amazing.
The atmosphere in the restaurant was great. The dim lighting and dark wood went well with the speakeasy theme. I really liked the quart size jars that they served the beer in too. My only gripe would be that my main course arrived about five minutes after my friend's did, otherwise i would have given it five out of five.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We had great meals at Farmerbrown's. Starting with the hushpuppies, they were the real deal. The fried chicken was amazing. Everyone loved everything they ordered. The owners have brought a bit of the real south to San Francisco! Recommended for sure!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This place has been around for years and I had never been, so I jumped at the chance to join some visiting coworkers. We were happy that we were able to call ahead and told that we could be fit in - although they wouldn't allow us to make same day reservations.

Once in, the place is dark and noisy. The service is sub-par, and the food is just okay.

I didn't find anything spectacular here. It was a night where they were NOT serving chicken and waffles, so that was a disappointment.

With all of the "Southern" restaurants in the city - there are too many others to check out before wanting to return here.