“I've had better”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 25 December 2013

As a Texan, I'm used to good Mexican and Tex-Mex food, but not as familiar with Californian-Mexican cuisine, so maybe that was the problem, but I was not very impressed with this place. The food was okay but over-priced, probably due to the touristy location. We only ate there because we were killing time and needed to stay in the area.

The restaurant is brightly decorated, but the long tables make for awkward seating and require climbing over strangers, and the seats are hard. The food itself is "meh" -- edible, but not memorable, and way too heavy on the cilantro. It's in everything, so if you're one of us who has that genetic thing where cilantro tastes like soap and death, you should probably skip the place altogether.

An earlier commenter complained about the size of the tacos, but they were standard street taco size, not the jumbo burritos a Taco Bell customer might encounter. Portion sizes really weren't a problem, so much as (lack of) flavor. They also don't serve rice of any sort, just borracho style beans. I had a vegetable taco that was mostly beans and onions with a little guacamole, and another taco that I can't even remember.

Service was also less than stellar. Everyone seemed bored and annoyed by all the tourists they had to deal with in the tourist location where they chose to work. I felt rushed to place an order and like it was a burden when I asked what was in the vegetable taco (the menu doesn't say, and that can vary a lot. It's not like I asked what "beans" are or something).

There is outdoor seating overlooking the Bay. We were there after dark, but I believe Alcatraz is visible from the deck, so that might be fun.

Overall it wasn't the worst experience, but I doubt I'd ever go back. There are way better places to drop $30 on a "cheap" dinner in SF.

There are newer reviews for Mijita

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The food is delicious, but the seating is hard to find and not too comfortable. The service, however, is bad. The employees are unfriendly, seem unhappy, and are sometimes unpleasant. That detracts significantly from the appeal.

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Frankly no better than a mainstream fastfood joint. Food is tasteless and dull, not a reflection of other Mexican restaurants which do far better food. Go to Grotts burger or Hogs Bay oyster instead, far better.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I ordered a couple of 'soft-tacos'... one 'chicken' & one 'pork'... & was VERY-disappointed with what was brought-out to my table.
For one thing, both tacos were 'ridiculously-small' (barely 3.5-in diameter). But more importantly, the foodstuff-portions (on both) were 'miniscule'; badly 'overcooked'; lacking in 'advertised ingredients'; clearly 'overpriced'; & far from satisfactory. In fact, 'one' of these tacos (don't know which) gave me a 'badly-upset stomach' some 30-min afterwards.
Having eaten 'Tex-Mex', 'Arizona'-style, 'CA'-style, & Mexican for the past 60+ years... & having just returned from yet-another trip to Mexico... I can tell you that this food was 'completely-UNSAT' (in both content & taste alike); & was a 'poor excuse' for real Mexican-food.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Excellent food in an all business and no frills place. The staff was a bit short on courtesy, but the place is normally quite busy; and, as I said, "... no frills." Very recommended for anyone in the neighborhood of the SF Ferry Building. Bring your appetite.